How to install DRL/High Beam LED Conversion Kit

Where DIYs with photos live. Please start new topics in DIY section. Completed DIYs are moved here for clutter control and quicker reference.
KuroNekko

krell wrote:Change license plate bulbs to leds just notice last night they flickering.
What kind did you use and where did you get them?
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
krell

Open your eyes, look within. Are you satisfied with the life you're living?
KuroNekko

I've had my experiences in the past with cheap ebay LEDs that crap out quick. You may want to get LEDs from places that others like bootymac and I think ~tc~ got theirs from. I think http://www.superbrightleds.com/ comes highly recommended. It may be more expensive than ebay, but will probably be more reliable.
SamirD

KuroNekko wrote:
I've had my experiences in the past with cheap ebay LEDs that crap out quick. You may want to get LEDs from places that others like bootymac and I think ~tc~ got theirs from. I think http://www.superbrightleds.com/ comes highly recommended. It may be more expensive than ebay, but will probably be more reliable.
Ditto on this. When I had an auto parts distribution company, we'd check ebay every so often to see what the pricing on there was like. And unless it was a reputable brand that we also stocked, the price was below our cost for any reliable product. We saw brands or knock-offs of products we knew that had a 20% defect rate. :shock:
~tc~

Yes, superbrightleds FTW
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
bootymac

Off topic but I saw a new Corolla with the LED low beams and WOW, they look great! The entire beam pattern was consistent and bright. I was very impressed
KuroNekko

bootymac wrote:Off topic but I saw a new Corolla with the LED low beams and WOW, they look great! The entire beam pattern was consistent and bright. I was very impressed
Yeah, LEDs are taking off and even non-luxury cars are incorporating them. They are available in the new WRX. Some Honda Accords and Toyota Avalons also have LED headlights. I have little doubt they will replace HIDs in the future and also make halogens a thing of the past. If the new Corolla can have them standard, there is little excuse to still use halogens as low beams in the industry.

Regarding my LED DRLs: I used my A/C today and it really killed the DRLs while in use. If I'm in city driving conditions with the A/C on, the DRLs don't have enough power and turn off. I'm planning on grounding the capacitor harness properly this weekend as I need to change my oil and have the car on ramps anyways. I really hope the capacitors resolve the issue or I'll have to contact VLEDS again about a solution.

On a side note, it looks like VLEDS has a newer product out. It's similar to mine, but it only has one LED instead of two. However, it's rated at 2100 lumens (mine is 2000). While the H7 bulb only has one LED, some others have two and output 3000 lumens. VLEDS claims the new bulb's design will provide a "better focused beam pattern". Interesting. While not always practical nor affordable, I find it rather cool that aftermarket manufacturers are doing R&D and releasing new products like these.
http://www.vleds.com/headlights/led/h7/h7-mtg2.html
bootymac

2100 lumens from a single emitter is impressive. I'm curious to see how its directional nature will work in a headlight's reflector. The emitter position will be crucial

As for your DRL issues... If I understand correctly, the capacitor will hold 12V constant (instead of pulsating voltage). Would this make the LEDs too bright as they'll be fully powered?

I'm no electrician but I wonder if a relay is the proper fix? Something like this: http://store.ijdmtoy.com/mobile/product ... e-drl.htm=
KuroNekko

bootymac wrote:2100 lumens from a single emitter is impressive. I'm curious to see how its directional nature will work in a headlight's reflector. The emitter position will be crucial

As for your DRL issues... If I understand correctly, the capacitor will hold 12V constant (instead of pulsating voltage). Would this make the LEDs too bright as they'll be fully powered?

I'm no electrician but I wonder if a relay is the proper fix? Something like this: http://store.ijdmtoy.com/mobile/product ... e-drl.htm=
The LED driver is what controls the output of DRLs vs. high beam so the capacitor should have no effect in terms of making the DRLs full power, according to VLEDS. The point of the capacitor is to provide a more stable supply of electrical current to the bulbs in DRL mode. Whether this results in a higher voltage is something I'm not sure about, but regardless, the driver should control for that.

Also, those relays from iJDM look like they may help as they are directly connected to the battery, but appear to be designed for a different purpose with different types of LED bulbs. Mine serve both as DRLs and high beam replacements while the LEDs in the demo Scion xB are useless as high beams. In fact, they probably don't even have a driver. They are more "be seen" lights and not "to see" lights. That kind of multi-LED bulb is useless for casting light in a reflector for distance. Whether the relay will incorporate the existing LED driver is also a concern. In fact, the diagram shows that the harness is intended to bypass the car's harness altogether so that would eliminate any high beam control. The ideal harness would be something like the Morimoto HD Relay harness for the HIDs. It both draws power from the battery, but also taps into the car's factory harness for control input.

Regardless, I need to ground the capacitors properly so they work and see if the solution is viable.
bootymac

KuroNekko wrote:
bootymac wrote:2100 lumens from a single emitter is impressive. I'm curious to see how its directional nature will work in a headlight's reflector. The emitter position will be crucial

The LED driver is what controls the output of DRLs vs. high beam so the capacitor should have no effect in terms of making the DRLs full power, according to VLEDS. The point of the capacitor is to provide a more stable supply of electrical current to the bulbs in DRL mode. Whether this results in a higher voltage is something I'm not sure about, but regardless, the driver should control for that.
Ah, if that's the case then providing a constant 12v source to the driver should do the trick. I think the pulsating voltage is the main problem

Any chance you could tap off a grounding wire within the headlights?