How to install DRL/High Beam LED Conversion Kit

Where DIYs with photos live. Please start new topics in DIY section. Completed DIYs are moved here for clutter control and quicker reference.
~tc~

FYI - Diehard Platinum >>>> Optima

The diehard platinum is made by Odyssey, but about 1/2 the price.
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
KuroNekko

~tc~ wrote:FYI - Diehard Platinum >>>> Optima

The diehard platinum is made by Odyssey, but about 1/2 the price.
Good to know.
I like Interstate batteries too. Mine in my Impreza lasted me 10 years with never a problem. Bought the car with the battery and sold the car with the same battery, nearly 10 years and 115,000 miles later.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
~tc~

Interstate are good quality, old technology (lead plate) batteries

Optima are bad quality, new technology (AGM)

Odyssey/DHP are good quality, new technology (AGM)
KuroNekko

I found a rather good demonstrative video on LED conversion kits. The kit featured in the video looks very similar to mine. The video is from Japan, but there is no talking, just text. It shows bulb line up, installation, and driving clips that compares the previous halogens which is useful to see.
It also demonstrates my claim about how LED lights appears to reflect light from reflective surfaces better.

[youtube][/youtube]
murcod

KuroNekko wrote: It also demonstrates my claim about how LED lights appears to reflect light from reflective surfaces better.
HID's do the same and I personally never found it a desirable feature. (Having roadside signs diminishing your night vision was never a bonus in my books!)
David
KuroNekko

murcod wrote:
KuroNekko wrote: It also demonstrates my claim about how LED lights appears to reflect light from reflective surfaces better.
HID's do the same and I personally never found it a desirable feature. (Having roadside signs diminishing your night vision was never a bonus in my books!)
You and I literally see it differently. :lol:
Reflections are good for me because it shows what's coming up. Whether they be signs or road markers as was shown in the video, they help you see the layout of the road before you get there. The example in the video of the reflectors showing the curvature of the road is what I'm talking about.
I got Lasik done a few years ago and my vision is 20/15 but I still think these visual aids are helpful.

I know HIDs do this too, but LEDs appear to do it better according to the stuff I've read on it and also from my own observations with my LED devices such as flashlights and my new DRL/High beams.
KuroNekko

Update:

It appears that VLEDs now makes in-line capacitors to counter the flickering issue caused by the DRL voltage. They recently listed a 9005/9006 bulb in-line capacitor harness for their LED kits.
This made sense as they told me directly that they experienced the same flickering issue with an Acura and resolved it with a capacitor.

I contacted them earlier today to ask if they had any capacitors for H7 kits. They replied back saying that they would custom-make me a capacitor harness and gave me a temporary link to order it from. I bought it.
I researched capacitor harnesses and there are plenty on ebay. I decided to go with the VLEDs harness as it appears to have higher quality components and they have very good customer support.
Here's the VLED's in-line capacitor harness. I'm posting the link for 9006 bulb as the H7 link may only be temporary.
http://www.vleds.com/in-line-cap.html

This is what I found on ebay. It was $10 cheaper, but the capacitor did not look as promising as VLED's.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-H7-LED-Light ... 1123515922

I will keep you all posted on whether it resolves the flickering at idle issue.
SamirD

~tc~ wrote:Interstate are good quality, old technology (lead plate) batteries

Optima are bad quality, new technology (AGM)

Odyssey/DHP are good quality, new technology (AGM)
How are Optimas bad quality? I've got almost a dozen of these and they outlast most of the cars they keep getting swapped in and out of. I even have my original one I bought back in the late 1990s. I recently discovered that it's in one of my parents minivans. :lol: I had forgotten I put it in there!
SamirD

Crappy caps are all the rage with motherboard makers and even some Cisco routers. Good idea to spend that extra $10 and get a cap that will last a while. 8-)
~tc~

You have old ones before they were bought out and the quality went to shit.

But even at their peak, Optima was not as good as Odyssey. The big problem was finding them, but now you just go to Sears.