Key fob battery type, dying symptoms, and swap instructions

Where DIYs with photos live. Please start new topics in DIY section. Completed DIYs are moved here for clutter control and quicker reference.
KuroNekko

The Kizashi's key fob uses a single Lithium button cell battery. 3V.
CR2032.

I'm making this a sticky given the fob does not tell you the battery type unless you open it up. Written inside of the fob, it states the battery it uses. The battery number is also written on the battery itself.

Symptoms of a dying fob battery:
1) Remote does not work until close range.
2) Remote does not work properly all the time.
3) LED in remote is dim when buttons are pressed.
4) Car display will ask for you to hold fob to start button.

How to change the fob battery:
1) Remove metal key from fob.
2) Using fingernail or plastic tool, pry from groove at the bottom of the fob.
3) Pry around the edges until the cover is removed.
4) Pluck out the old battery.
5) Insert the new battery with the writing side upward. You should see the + sign facing up.
6) Making sure the rubber seal of the fob is seated properly, reattach the cover.
7) Reinsert metal key.
8) Test fob.

Where to buy battery:
The CR2032 is a common button battery. You could probably find it at Home Depot, Best Buy, Radio Shack, and most pharmacies.
I bought a pack of four for $2 at Harbor Freight Tools. (We'll see how long it lasts.)
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
bootymac

Thanks for the info! My VWs use the same battery so I have a lot sitting around
SamirD

We have this weird problem were the fob will just stop working in the parking lot of particular building--like there's a signal jamming it. So weird...
Firefly

If you notice any of those things, CHANGE IT ASAP. Mine locked me out of the car when I got out to clean ice off the windshield - I left the key in the center console (I do this because I leave the car and key with a lot attendant when I get to where I work) --and the door courtesy button would not respond. Had to get the door jimmied...
Do yourself a favor. In my experience fob keys weaken after around 2 years or so.
Former driver of a 2011 SLS AWD Platinum
SamirD

Firefly wrote:If you notice any of those things, CHANGE IT ASAP. Mine locked me out of the car when I got out to clean ice off the windshield - I left the key in the center console (I do this because I leave the car and key with a lot attendant when I get to where I work) --and the door courtesy button would not respond. Had to get the door jimmied...
Do yourself a favor. In my experience fob keys weaken after around 2 years or so.
The oddity of our is just a particular place, and only a certain distance from a particular building. There's got to be a signal being transmitted from the building that's interfering.
Firefly

The owners manual does state that weak fob battery will make the fob more susceptible to interference, in my case being close to the dash and the Bluetooth.
Former driver of a 2011 SLS AWD Platinum
SamirD

Firefly wrote:The owners manual does state that weak fob battery will make the fob more susceptible to interference, in my case being close to the dash and the Bluetooth.
Hmmm...but it doesn't do it anywhere else and has never been a problem even at a distance away. I think this church has a large wifi and electrical blueprint. :o
ipaqxman

Kuro can you specify which is the "bottom" of the fob. I am having a hard time removing the cover as I am worried of damaging it. Owner manual say from the slot where the physican key exposes
2011 Kizash SLS AWD
KuroNekko

ipaqxman wrote:Kuro can you specify which is the "bottom" of the fob. I am having a hard time removing the cover as I am worried of damaging it. Owner manual say from the slot where the physican key exposes
Here:
image.jpg
image.jpg (93.56 KiB) Viewed 43034 times
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
ipaqxman

Thanks!
2011 Kizash SLS AWD