Kizashi OE and KYB Strut and Shock Part Numbers.

Where DIYs with photos live. Please start new topics in DIY section. Completed DIYs are moved here for clutter control and quicker reference.
fasteddie

It is indeed.
dslatsh

While reading through the thread I noticed there is one owner who seems pleased with the aftermarket KYB rear shocks on his SLS sport model. And another one who seems to think that the KYB is softer and doesn't handle as well. Has anyone else tried the aftermarket KYBs? I'm trying to see what really is the route to go here...160 for OEM (online) or about 60 for aftermarket by the same company.

Also is it possible since the shocks are new may feel a little softer for a bit/not as tight turning...I know when I got aftermarket shocks for my civic it sat a little higher and handled a little different...about a week later it felt like the same handling before.
Sluggo

If I had to replace my shocks I would go aftermarket KYB and not look back. There are too many things that can affect the feel or ride of a car. Worn bushings, alignment, wheels, tires all will matter.

KYB web site says that their after market shocks are adjusted to take into consideration they will be installed on a car with less than new suspension parts. What does that mean? Who knows, but I bet the only difference between the 3 models of the KYB shocks is just some shock valving and that is going to change with wear over time anyway.

Yeah that's kind of how I'm feeling. Not to mention even if the other shocks "lowered"the car as we read on some articles for the sport models. 10 mm....is really nothing...that's not even 1/2 inch it's like .397? Inches
KuroNekko

dslatsh wrote:Yeah that's kind of how I'm feeling. Not to mention even if the other shocks "lowered"the car as we read on some articles for the sport models. 10 mm....is really nothing...that's not even 1/2 inch it's like .397? Inches
Shocks don't do the lowering. That's the job of the springs. Many people who lower their cars get different springs but keep the same struts and shocks.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
BLyons

I've had the KYB's on my sport for a little over a month now and I can say that I haven't seen any detrimental effects to the handling. I'm still able to corner like a madman when I want to. I don't think my old shocks were completely worn, but there was a clunk on one side every once in awhile and I could tell that they were leaking and still had the old bump stops.
Black 2011 Sport SLS AWD
goodride420

has anyone been able to match the OEM KYB shocks to another brand, like Gabriel or Monroe ?
I am interested in replacing my KYB's since this will be the second time in less than 50K miles.
I would like to add coil over shocks.
The kyb's are wearing out too quickly ! two sets of shocks to 1 set of tires...
KuroNekko

goodride420 wrote:has anyone been able to match the OEM KYB shocks to another brand, like Gabriel or Monroe ?
I am interested in replacing my KYB's since this will be the second time in less than 50K miles.
I would like to add coil over shocks.
The kyb's are wearing out too quickly ! two sets of shocks to 1 set of tires...
Which set? Are you also aware of the rear bump stopper issue? Basically, a faulty design in the old bump stoppers on top of the rear shocks promotes corrosion and premature failure of the rear shocks. You'll need to replace these faulty bump stoppers if you want your rear shocks to last. It's really not the KYB shocks at fault here but the bump stoppers on top of them.
More on this topic here: http://kizashiclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3186
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)