Kizashi OE and KYB Strut and Shock Part Numbers.

Where DIYs with photos live. Please start new topics in DIY section. Completed DIYs are moved here for clutter control and quicker reference.
KuroNekko

CG1 wrote:
KuroNekko wrote:Interestingly, this article states that despite the lower ride height, spring rates and damping were unaltered. This could support the theory that all Kizashis actually have the same struts and shocks as KYB sells for the aftermarket.
FWIW - I have 3 OE sets of front struts, and those with the 'sport' valving code (which I presume that is what the suffix calls out) feel stiffer on the bench. I am aware that the bench test doesn't actuate the internal valves, but I suspect that the static resistance is also different. In short, I don't buy that the damping is unchanged between the trim levels. However, the dimensions should be the same, making a single aftermarket replacement applicable to all models.

Out of curiosity, what the basis of the concern on the likeness between the OE dampers and those KYB offers as replacements?
The concern would be what you noted with your bench test and how it plays out in the applied sense. I have no doubt any of these KYB shocks would physically fit any Kizashi. The question is whether these OE Sport shocks and struts really do have a difference performance-wise in which Suzuki's OE parts prices are justified.
OE front struts are about $300 and rear shocks are $200 from a website selling factory Suzuki parts.
Compare that with KYB replacement prices online for $56 and $43, respectively.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
CG1

KuroNekko wrote:The question is whether these OE Sport shocks and struts really do have a difference performance-wise in which Suzuki's OE parts prices are justified.
Yep, I get it. I think finding your answer may come with a price, though, since all the free stuff seems either inaccurate, subjective, or buried so far away that we'll spend the next twenty months trying to find it

That said,

Race shops will dyno dampers for like $20 a pop. I have a few OE's laying around if anyone wants to fund the experiment. These guys are solid: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Info/Shock

We could also pull them apart. I have the internals to the 'sport' versions sitting on a shelf if anyone cares to inspect them. I haven't cut apart the standard ones (and don't plan to) so someone's got to come up with a unit for comparison's sake.

Coupla bucks, a week or two later, and you should have quantifiable data on these to help you determine whether or not the originals are worth those unGodly prices. (Hopefully the QC on the dampers is better than that of the springs ...)

Let me know if you're going to take action, and I'll mail you whatever of the above listed items you might find useful. Just share the data with us in trade for the rental.
Woodie

KuroNekko wrote:They called the Sport wheels "lightweight" because they were each 2 lbs lighter than the non-Sport wheels found on the 2010 GTS and SLS.
Oh, I see. I've got even worse sluggish monsters.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
KuroNekko

This may help explain why the OE KYBs cost 4 times the aftermarket KYB shocks.
A lot of the Japanese OE suppliers are getting busted by the DOJ and Japanese authorities for price fixing. Everyone from Denso, NGK, to KYB are getting busted and fined. These companies have fine engineers and workers only to be shamed by their corrupt executives.

http://jalopnik.com/shock-absorbers-are ... 1731409299
Ronzuki

yeah, $200 for a rear Kizashi shock is a bit much.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
WESHOOT2

If I have to pay that to maintain my GTS's handling it's a bargain.
KuroNekko

WESHOOT2 wrote:If I have to pay that to maintain my GTS's handling it's a bargain.
Not really if you consider the fact that those prices are artificially high because KYB executives in Japan are running a scam.
WESHOOT2

....but I still want my K to handle....(I hate price gougers).
bootymac

New aftermarket KYBs will still be better than worn/blown OE dampers
Ronzuki

...there ya go, perfect logic. By the time any of us replaces blown dampeners, other suspension components will have fatigued over time/miles and we'll never be able to tell the difference between the KYB OE Sport units and the non-Sport aftermarket KYBs. It'll still feel 100% better.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)