Kizashi OE and KYB Strut and Shock Part Numbers.

Where DIYs with photos live. Please start new topics in DIY section. Completed DIYs are moved here for clutter control and quicker reference.
KuroNekko

wolfeman10 wrote:So dose anybody know if the oem strut and shocks for the 2011 sport sls is a stiffer strut & shock than the aftermarket kyb
No one seems to know. However, the Suzuki part numbers are different for the Sport vs. non-Sport models so some theorize the shocks may internally be different despite being identical on the exterior. Shock valving and other damping characteristics may be different to better accommodate the Sport's 10mm lower suspension. The frustrating thing is that KYB is the Suzuki OE shock manufacturer but only sells one kind of shock for all Kizashis. This is the shock you apparently have, but it's rather disconcerting to learn that these KYB aftermarkets considerably change the suspension characteristics of the car. It seems like one either has to give up the Sport's agile handling or pay 3x the price for the Suzuki OE shocks.
I'm hoping more people who have replaced their OE shocks with the KYB aftermarket ones can chime in so we all know what to expect.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
bootymac

It's assumed that the Sport model dampers are stiffer to match the 10mm lower ride height. They also have a different PN as already mentioned.

The KYB Excel-G are "OE replacements" so they are most likely softer than the Sport dampers.

If you have a Sport model, it may be wise to proactively replace the bump stoppers to prevent your factory shocks from failing.
Juan

I have been driving for 3 weeks with the new kyb shocks and I'm very happy with the car handling. I see and notice no difference between the factory shocks or the aftermarket kyb. When I had the shocks side by side, they both looked and felt identical. The passenger side was blown out but the driver side was still ok so I was able to compress both shocks just to see how they felt. Both, factory and aftermarket took the same amount of force to compress and retracted at the same time. Now I'm no expert, I'm just doing a visual, quick comparison in my garage and to my knowledge they appear the same. If there is a difference in my opinion is so small and miniscule that is not worth spending 3x for factory source parts. For what I use the car for, these replacements shocks are fine and they serve the purpose, at least for me.
KuroNekko

Juan wrote:I have been driving for 3 weeks with the new kyb shocks and I'm very happy with the car handling. I see and notice no difference between the factory shocks or the aftermarket kyb. When I had the shocks side by side, they both looked and felt identical. The passenger side was blown out but the driver side was still ok so I was able to compress both shocks just to see how they felt. Both, factory and aftermarket took the same amount of force to compress and retracted at the same time. Now I'm no expert, I'm just doing a visual, quick comparison in my garage and to my knowledge they appear the same. If there is a difference in my opinion is so small and miniscule that is not worth spending 3x for factory source parts. For what I use the car for, these replacements shocks are fine and they serve the purpose, at least for me.
Thanks for your input.
I'm personally relieved my shocks went out very early (around 26,000 miles) so Suzuki replaced them under warranty with the OE Sport shocks and installed the revised bump stoppers.
Juan

My shocks started leaking about 45 miles and the rear passenger began to clunk about 50k miles, last November I decided I had enough so I bought The parts an finally installed them last month.... the car has 52k miles now. I did not bother with a dealer claim as the car is pass the 36k mile warrantee.
wolfeman10

Just found out from kyb that the shock & strut are different and it is a dealer item only
KuroNekko

wolfeman10 wrote:Just found out from kyb that the shock & strut are different and it is a dealer item only
Thanks for confirming. Many of us suspected this, but it's good to get a confirmation from KYB given they manufacture both.
fasteddie

and in related news . . .

I bought OEM shocks, bumpers, and lower bolts at 20% discount from SuzukiAutomotiveParts.com. Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA.
http://suzukiautomotiveparts.com/?DlId=144

Just a recommendation from a satisfied customer and 2012 Kizashi SLS Sport owner.

Ciao
WESHOOT2

Thank you all.
bootymac

fasteddie wrote:and in related news . . .

I bought OEM shocks, bumpers, and lower bolts at 20% discount from SuzukiAutomotiveParts.com. Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA.
http://suzukiautomotiveparts.com/?DlId=144

Just a recommendation from a satisfied customer and 2012 Kizashi SLS Sport owner.

Ciao
Thanks for the link. Can you confirm that the bump stop is the revised version (PN 42250-57L03)?

http://suzukiautomotiveparts.com/2012-s ... 7L03-item/