Kizashi OE and KYB Strut and Shock Part Numbers.

Where DIYs with photos live. Please start new topics in DIY section. Completed DIYs are moved here for clutter control and quicker reference.
KuroNekko

FrankoLaMoya wrote:Hey KuroNekko..Does it apply to the 2012 Canadian model? I am currently at 57 000 km (warranty of 60 000 km here in Canada) and there is like a clunk sound coming from the rear every time I go over a bump...could it be this or most likely a sway bar link or something like that?
My understanding is that all North American models are the same. I don't think there is any difference between US and Canadian models. Not sure what is causing the noise but you should take it in before your warranty expires. I'm not sure if your 2012 has the revised bump stoppers from the factory or not but you can easily check.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
FrankoLaMoya

How do I check it...? I can change tires and bulbs, but besides that...lol

The problem is I am 2 hours away from my ''Dealership'' who takes care of the warranty (and extended warranty in my case).
2012 Suzuki Kizashi Sport iAWD CVT ''Kaijū'' (Black pearl metallic)

Priors:
2004 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T 6MT ''Audini'' (Black)
1999 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8 AT (Dark green)
1984 Chevrolet Malibu 3MT with a 327 engine lol (Blue)
1996 Acura Integra 5MT (Black)
KuroNekko

FrankoLaMoya wrote:How do I check it...? I can change tires and bulbs, but besides that...lol

The problem is I am 2 hours away from my ''Dealership'' who takes care of the warranty (and extended warranty in my case).
To see if your shocks are blown, use a jack to lift the back end and examine the rear shock tubes, especially under the plastic cover. If you see or feel oil, then you know there is a leak and the shocks are shot.

As for the revised bump stopper, refer to this:
http://www.kizashiclub.com/forum/viewto ... 6&start=80
Juan

Well, I finally got some free time to change the rear shocks in my 2012 SLS. I can see they are leaking fluid, also the constant clunking noise coming from the rear when I go over bumps was driving me crazy. I consider this an easy job for someone with some mechanical skills. Certainly a do it yourself can do this job. Follow the step by step in the TSB posted on this topic. I'm no mechanic by any means but I do work on all my cars so.... here you can see my problem.

First, safely jack the car, remove the tire and remove the inner fender skirt. Be careful removing all plastic nuts and push in fasteners holding the skirt. I was able to turn and remove the plastic nuts by hand and the push in fasteners were removed using 2 flat head screw drivers in order to pry the fasteners heads evenly to minimize breakage. I was able to remove them w/o breaking them but if you do break them you can buy new ones at the auto part store. The inner fender skirt is made out of some roofing shingle type material that can easy rip if you pull on it hard so take your time removing it. I was able to locate all fasteners holding it easy but one was hiding behind the factory rear mud flap - I had to remove the 3 screws holding the mud flap to move slightly to the side in order to remove the last push in fastener.

With the inner fender out of the way, now you have access to the top shock mount bolts. There are 3 bolts holding it to the car and 2 more holding the shock mount together (shock mount splits in half) - break these 2 bolts loose (do not remove yet) while the shock is still attach to the car - its a lot easier now than later. I did them later when I had the entire shock on the bench and it was difficult as the shock wants to spin on you. After you break loose these 2 bolts, proceed to remove the 3 upper bolts holding the shock mount.

Now its time to remove the lower shock bolt. I ran into a snag on this one as the bolt is very long and with just a few treads left to remove the bolt head bottomed out against the coil spring. My solution was to gently pry the spring up just enough to get the bolt out.

Here is the shock sitting on my bench next to the new shock. Notice all the leaking oil on the shock, also notice the shock mount is still in one piece as I neglected to break loose the 2 bolts holding the 2 half together.

Here you can see my problem - RUST on the shock shaft - not good. Also notice that I removed the 2 bolts holding the mount halfs - inside you will find washers and rubber isolators that you will reuse.

Here are the new parts. The shocks I got from my local Napa for $120 and the new bump stops from the local Suzuki dealer for $65.

Here you can see the old and new bump stops, notice the rubber issolator, nut and washer in the rear that you will reuse (sorry but I do not have a better pic). The top nut on the shock is removed by first holding the very tip of the shock (which is a flat area) with an adjustable wrench to prevent the shaft from sniping. This nut came out easy.

Here are the new and old shock side to side.

Here you can see the markings I found on the shocks. The one in yellow is the factory one.

Assembly is the reverse of tear down, take your time and notice how everyting comes apart. Here you can see the new shock ready to go back in. The TSB states not to reuse the shock lower bolt and the top nut because they are coated with anti friction material at the factory - I found these to be in excellent shape and re used them by re coating them with Permatex blue tread locker.

Here is the finish product. Like I said before, I found this to be an easy job to do. I did the worst side first which for me was the passenger side. It took me 2 hours to do, mostly because I was stopping to read the TSB and taking pictures. The driver side took half the time to do. The ride on the car improved dramatically and best of all is quiet again.
Sluggo

Nice write up and pictures. But it is not necessary to remove the fender liner or the 3 bolt shock mount. The cutout in the liner is large enough to remove the 2 bolts that hold the shock to the top mount. No reason to remove the larger mount.

Thanks for the write-up, Juan. You also answered a question some had about using the KYB 349141 shock on a Sport model. It does seem that the KYB replacements are a direct fit and if there is any difference between the Suzuki OE shock and the KYB aftermarket, it's minuscule and won't prevent replacement.
Let us know if you encounter any difference in the ride compared to the original shocks; before they were blown, of course.
bootymac

Excellent work and thank you for the much needed photos! It's only a matter of time before I have to do this to our Kizashi.
wolfeman10

just put new aftermarket kyb strut & shock in my 2011 kizashi sport sls and it is not the same ride theses aftermarket strut and shock make the ride softer and the car no longer go around turns very fast. do not buy theses a very diffent ride. :evil:
KuroNekko

wolfeman10 wrote:just put new aftermarket kyb strut & shock in my 2011 kizashi sport sls and it is not the same ride theses aftermarket strut and shock make the ride softer and the car no longer go around turns very fast. do not buy theses a very diffent ride. :evil:
I see. Thanks for your input. The problem is that the Suzuki OE shocks are about 3x the price of the KYB aftermarket shocks.
wolfeman10

So dose anybody know if the oem strut and shocks for the 2011 sport sls is a stiffer strut & shock than the aftermarket kyb