Replaced Broken Fog Light

Where DIYs with photos live. Please start new topics in DIY section. Completed DIYs are moved here for clutter control and quicker reference.
LPSISRL

Woodie wrote: Newest thing is the emissions test kiosk, you drive up, plug an umbilical into your OBD2 port and do your own test.
What do they do with Volkswagen diesels? :lol:
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
KuroNekko

LPSISRL wrote:
Woodie wrote: Newest thing is the emissions test kiosk, you drive up, plug an umbilical into your OBD2 port and do your own test.
What do they do with Volkswagen diesels? :lol:
Can't say for the Dieselgate TDIs, but the older ones are exempt from emissions testing from what I can tell.
Woodie wrote: Maryland's DMV used to be notorious, no matter what you needed to do it was half a day. About 15 years ago they really stepped up their game, my recent experience has been very good. Newest thing is the emissions test kiosk, you drive up, plug an umbilical into your OBD2 port and do your own test.
Interesting. I think I've heard of the kiosks but I always just went to a VEIP location. In California, they are much more strict on emissions. They actually inspect your engine for modifications and make sure any are CARB (California Air Resource Board) compliant. They once failed me in the past when a Blitz turbo blow-off valve on a '95 Eclipse GS-T didn't have a CARB certification. However, another inspection location in another city didn't mind it and passed me. However, I think the vehicle inspection part is more laxed here than the East Coast states. I recall the DC DMV even using electronics to measure brake force distribution! It was in fact from this testing that I was tipped off I had different sized rotors and pads on the same rear axle from the previous owner's repairs. The left side literally had a different rotor and brake pad in size than the right side.
:facepalm:
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
SamirD

That's interesting that the fog assembly itself was able to be changed without the plastic shroud being built onto it. So now I know all these Audis, VWs, and Toyotas that look like they have a similar fog light probably have the same OE Valeo part.

One thing that won't apply to your Valeo part since it literally looks identical and I think you would have noticed a weight difference, is that Valeo and other OEs don't do as rigorous quality assurance on their aftermarket parts as the ones that are dealer parts. And because of this, there were sometimes high defect rates on certain parts that were aftermarket even when the dealer part was fine. Also, the amount of material would be lighter or not as thick/sturdy. Something to keep in mine when trying to get a solid part at a discount price.

So glad you got it all back together again. Our chrome piece is cracked on the same side as your fog that was damaged. How easy would it be to change just that part in your opinion? I may do it when I change the headlight bulbs as I'll have the bumper off anyways (as long as I can get the part).
KuroNekko

SamirD wrote:That's interesting that the fog assembly itself was able to be changed without the plastic shroud being built onto it. So now I know all these Audis, VWs, and Toyotas that look like they have a similar fog light probably have the same OE Valeo part.

One thing that won't apply to your Valeo part since it literally looks identical and I think you would have noticed a weight difference, is that Valeo and other OEs don't do as rigorous quality assurance on their aftermarket parts as the ones that are dealer parts. And because of this, there were sometimes high defect rates on certain parts that were aftermarket even when the dealer part was fine. Also, the amount of material would be lighter or not as thick/sturdy. Something to keep in mine when trying to get a solid part at a discount price.

So glad you got it all back together again. Our chrome piece is cracked on the same side as your fog that was damaged. How easy would it be to change just that part in your opinion? I may do it when I change the headlight bulbs as I'll have the bumper off anyways (as long as I can get the part).
I can tell you that this Valeo replacement is the real deal and in my opinion, looks to have a thicker glass lens than the OE fog light.

As for replacing the cracked chrome trim, it would be easy. It actually comes off together with the black trim around the fog light. However, there are screws that hold the chrome to the black plastic so you can separate them. If you can source a replacement part, it won't be too hard to replace. I suggest you do it at the same time you change your headlight bulb as both require the front bumper to come off (and that's the most arduous part of anything related to the lights).
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
SamirD

KuroNekko wrote:
SamirD wrote:That's interesting that the fog assembly itself was able to be changed without the plastic shroud being built onto it. So now I know all these Audis, VWs, and Toyotas that look like they have a similar fog light probably have the same OE Valeo part.

I can tell you that this Valeo replacement is the real deal and in my opinion, looks to have a thicker glass lens than the OE fog light.

As for replacing the cracked chrome trim, it would be easy. It actually comes off together with the black trim around the fog light. However, there are screws that hold the chrome to the black plastic so you can separate them. If you can source a replacement part, it won't be too hard to replace. I suggest you do it at the same time you change your headlight bulb as both require the front bumper to come off (and that's the most arduous part of anything related to the lights).
Great to hear about the fog light lens thickness. This is something that OEs will do for various brands--alter the quality. I bet the Toyota manufacturing spec for the Yaris foglight lens was for a thicker glass. You found a bolt-on Kizashi upgrade my friend. 8-)

Great to hear about that trim piece. I'll see if I can order that along with the headlight bulbs as other misc bulbs that have finally gone out after 6+ years. 8-)