Spammer Hunt

Moto
Site Admin

Got board today and deleted about 200 spammers.

I have had us protected for a long time so very few are able to post, but quite a few were still able to register.

I have deleted most of them.

I think I have the registration fixed for now too. (Other than the fact that it requires java to be enabled on the user end)
Stodge

Java may not fly given the recent security issues. People may have it disabled whether they know it or not.
Moto
Site Admin

True... but I have a feeling they will turn it back on because so many things require it. Registrations from real users does not seem to have taken a dramatic hit, but I will watch it.
Moto
Site Admin

Problem fixed. Turns the question to check boxes if javascript is not activated now rather than dragging things around.
SamirD

I don't know if you use this already or not, but I use stopforumspam when I have an 'iffy' user that's registered to see if there's any past spammer activity. :)
Moto
Site Admin

Yep I use it. The best thing I have found so far is a nonstandard registration method.
SamirD

I do the same. :) Genre specific questions weed out the baddies almost all the time. 8-)
Moto
Site Admin

Sortables CAPTCHA Plugin keeps out everything other than real people, and it uses a randomization algorithm so even if they crack your Genre specific question they can't setup an auto registration. I had that happen on this site once. I think we ended up gaining a few hundred members before I got it back under control. It was a PITA to deal with.

cloudflare is also very good for filtering traffic from countries you don't want to deal with.
SamirD

Very interesting. I use a question/answer system on my vbulletin powered site. I've got almost 50 qa's loaded in, so it's pretty random by nature.

I made a note of cloudflare. Seems like quite an interesting product. I bet you have to use their dns servers though, huh?
Moto
Site Admin

Yes, they act as a pass-though.

If your site gets a reasonable amount of traffic it may not work for you. My sites are low enough load that I do not have a problem.

I've had a lot less trouble since I started using them as a traffic filter. I have quite a few none English speaking counties blocked.