Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) Suzuki Vehicles Gallery

If it has an S on the front you can talk about it here.
KuroNekko

Moto wrote:I have worked with quite a few Chinese people and a good friend of mine married someone from Hong Kong(which is its own beast). None of those people are fans of Japan. If you mistook them as being Japanese they wouldn't be very happy with you. I think the feelings are reciprocated. I'm somewhat familiar with both cultures and they are very different.

I watch more asian tv and films than I care to admit so I'm able to pick out quite a few languages, text, and common words.

"KuroNekko" ~ "Black Root" in Japanese. I knew kuro was a color, but I had to look up the rest. Long shorty short, lot of the Asian countries don't get along very well.
Wow, you are quite good. Nekko is indeed root if pronounced "Neck-Co", but as NorthernStar pointed out, I meant cat which is commonly spelled Neko. I spelled it Nekko because most Westerners pronounced Neko as "Knee-Co" instead of "Necko" (the correct pronunciation of cat in Japanese). I used to use this handle online for gaming therefore modified the spelling for more accurate pronunciation. :ugeek:

Regarding Asian tensions, yes, it exists but they mainly stem from Japan's dark history during WWII. The Imperial Japanese Army committed some of the worst crimes against humanity and atrocities in Asia in countries like China, Korea, Taiwan, Myanmar, and the Philippines to name a few. Many innocent civilians were killed by the Japanese military and their brutality rivaled the Nazis. Because of this, many other Asians distrust and dislike the Japanese despite all the years since the war and the fact that Japan now has a constitution against war (originally written by the US, but upheld by the Japanese since regaining sovereignty in the 1950's.) The Japanese gov't has done poorly in recognizing and addressing the war crimes and this has upset especially the Koreans and the Chinese. Many Koreans were enslaved by the Japanese during the war and some were forced to work in Japan. One of my best friends in Japan is of Korean-Japanese descent whose Korean grandfather was forced to work in Japan during WWII. Many of these Koreans stayed in Japan after the war.
Funny side story: Some time after Japan lost the war, my friend's grandfather bought a car. He purposely got a Ford instead of a Japanese brand to proudly drive around as a "Fuck You" to the Japanese gov't and to remind them that the US defeated them. :lol:

The current newly-elected Prime Minister of Japan is quite rather right-wing hawk who has so far done poorly in establishing amiable relations with China over the Senkaku/Diaoyu islands dispute.
In reality, many Chinese and Koreans may not like the Japanese, but I wouldn't say it's reciprocated by the Japanese. Most Japanese today are rather apathetic to politics and foreign policy. Many Japanese don't really see the Koreans or Chinese in such a negative light, from my personal observations.
Many Chinese and Korean-Americans also seem to be better in their views of the Japanese. After all, go to any Asian community in the US and you will see that most Asian Americans have a love affair with Japanese cars. I would say it's hard to drive a Japanese car if you hated Japan and the Japanese so much.

Back to the topic of cars.
I have yet to see a Kizashi on this trip. Well, to be fair, I have only seen one Accord and only a few Camry Hybrids. Unlike the US, the family midsize sedan is just not that popular in Japan. I see a lot of Toyota Crowns and some Mark X's, but not too many of the cheaper midsize offerings. I will keep my eye out for a Kizashi. Either way, I plan to visit a dealership.

Oh, I see a lot of Daihatsu's here as well. They are the other big name in Kei-cars. Daihatsu is from Osaka, Japan which is in the part of Western Japan (Kansai region) I am from.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
murcod

I've owned a few Daihatsu's over the years. They were in Australia until Toyota "ran them out of town" - apparently Toyota own a large share of Daihatsu and didn't want the local competition. It's a pity because they are like Suzuki and build reliable cheaper vehicles with some excellent engines.

I transplanted an ex Japan CB70 1 litre 3 cylinder twin cam turbo EFI engine into one of them, the vehicle weighed just over 600kg and ran 400m in 15.6 seconds at the local drag strip. It was an awesome engine and revved out to 7500rpm; this was back in the early to mid 1990's. There were some angry V8 drivers at the traffic lights! :)
David
KuroNekko

Still yet to spot a Kizashi on this trip. See many other Suzuki's all the time. The Wagon R, Every, Lapin, and Alto are ubiquitous. Other models like the Jimny and Swift are an occasional sighting.
Anyhow, here are other Suzuki's I photographed recently.
I have also decided to add photos of interesting (at least to me) non-Suzuki cars. I will put up some Daihatsu's soon.
Attachments
Suzuki electric scooter. Suzuki makes these kinds of products in Japan.
Suzuki electric scooter. Suzuki makes these kinds of products in Japan.
Suzuki Every. This is more of a work vehicle, like a kei-truck with a covered body. Not really a family vehicle. These things are everywhere and often used as delivery/contractor vehicles.
Suzuki Every. This is more of a work vehicle, like a kei-truck with a covered body. Not really a family vehicle. These things are everywhere and often used as delivery/contractor vehicles.
Suzuki Swift.
Suzuki Swift.
Suzuki Lapin. Based on the Alto. This car has rabbit ears in its badge. Lapin means rabbit in French. Huge success with the ladies in Japan.
Suzuki Lapin. Based on the Alto. This car has rabbit ears in its badge. Lapin means rabbit in French. Huge success with the ladies in Japan.
Suzuki Cervo rear.
Suzuki Cervo rear.
Suzuki Cervo. This model was recently discontinued. It was based on the Alto.
Suzuki Cervo. This model was recently discontinued. It was based on the Alto.
KuroNekko

Non-Suzuki vehicles.
Attachments
Fiat 500 K, I believe. If you look around, you can find rare cars in Japan.
Fiat 500 K, I believe. If you look around, you can find rare cars in Japan.
A Shinkansen or bullet train. This is the JR (Japan Railways) N700 model. I rode this train shortly after photographing it.
A Shinkansen or bullet train. This is the JR (Japan Railways) N700 model. I rode this train shortly after photographing it.
Northernstar

Have you seen the new Swift Sport?? Those things are gorgeous!!
murcod

That Swift is interesting, the front bumper looks a lot more stylish and sculptured at the bottom than the models we get here (including the Sport bumper - unless it's just the angle?)

http://www.suzuki.com.au/vehicles/model ... x/overview
David
Northernstar

swift and swift sport are different^^
KuroNekko

The Swift pictured above is a Swift RS, not the Swift Sport. I walked around the back to make sure. I had to look up the Swift RS because I was not even aware of the trim.
The RS adds the more aggressive bumpers, side skirts, and a rear spoiler in addition to some other minor enhancements. Here's the Japanese site on the RS trim:
http://www.suzuki.co.jp/car/swift_rs/ex ... index.html

I have seen one Swift Sport so far and I was able to identify it from afar by the twin exhausts.
murcod

Northernstar wrote:swift and swift sport are different^^
I know, but it's really only an engine and trim- we get both here. Sadly, it's nothing like the old mid-late 1980's Swift GTi; due to the increase in size and weight.

We also regularly get an RE model here. It's promoted as a rally type limited edition in the adverts, but seems to be only a bodykit and stickers.... They bring them out in limited numbers. eg. RE1, RE2, RE3, RE4....

I like the subtlety of the RS - any idea what engine it's got? I'm guessing just the stock engine?
David
KuroNekko

murcod wrote:
Northernstar wrote:swift and swift sport are different^^
I know, but it's really only an engine and trim- we get both here. Sadly, it's nothing like the old mid-late 1980's Swift GTi; due to the increase in size and weight.

We also regularly get an RE model here. It's promoted as a rally type limited edition in the adverts, but seems to be only a bodykit and stickers.... They bring them out in limited numbers. eg. RE1, RE2, RE3, RE4....

I like the subtlety of the RS - any idea what engine it's got? I'm guessing just the stock engine?
From what I can digest from the Japanese site, it has the 1.2 liter engine that appears to be the same as the stock. The RS really just appears to be a cosmetic enhancement. The RS site talks about an enhanced suspension, but it does not state that it is a feature offered on the RS and not on the base Swift.