worries

If it has an S on the front you can talk about it here.
mgp123

Hi,

I'm looking for overall opinions. My wife and I were looking for a new car at carmax last week. We fell in love and bought a 2012 Suzuki Kizashi. The dealership did not mention that Suzuki was pulling out of the US. We bought it. Now I'm worried about service, parts, and insurance, and we will owe on it for a while. Is anyone else in this boat? Or are my worries unfounded?

Thanks
Pyramid1

Hi, I'm not a Kizashi owner yet, but it's still at the top of my list when I get back to car shopping. (I'm looking for a 6MT which is extremely difficult to find)

Having said that, yes Suzuki pulled out of the U.S. market almost exactly a year ago...but they say they will maintain parts/service for years to come. The problem is that the dealership network was already spotty, and now has gotten even smaller...go to the Suzuki website and see which former dealerships still provide warranty service in your area. Personally I'm not too concerned because I think the Kizashi is pretty simple overall (no German over-engineering or exotic electronic wizardry) and should be able to be repaired and maintained by any good import shop. Also, Suzuki designed and engineered cars seem to be pretty reliable overall.

I do have concerns about parts availability (and cost) years down the road however (after the 7 year warranty for the last 2013 models sold expires)...but not enough for me to cross the Kizashi off my shopping list. The good thing about major mechanical Kizashi parts is that they're all basically the same for all trim levels/model years. Same engine, two different transmissions (CVT/6MT) and some minor differences between bodywork of the 2010 models and 2011-2013 sport models...but I think it's all interchangeable anyway.
Pyramid1

Oh, I guess I should add that if and when I do buy a Kizashi..I'll pay everything upfront with a cashiers check. If I had to finance then I would probably go with something else. Are you already past the Carmax "5 day return" window?
mgp123

Actually between work and loving the vehicle, those 5 days were gone before I knew it=/ But we still love the vehicle. The thing I'm so glad I did was to get the carmax plus service plan. So after the deductible, carmax should be responsible for finding the parts for repair. After that though we'll see. Just wish I had not jumped so fast.

Thanks for your thoughts. The info about the simplistic but reliable design is reassuring.
Ronzuki

There are Suzuki service centers in the U.S., many of which are ex-dealers. I still use my old dealer. Parts are no problem to obtain from them all be it expensive for at least another 9 years. Just had some TSB work done a couple weeks ago under 36k mile warranty. The cars come w/ a 10yr 100k mile transferrable drivetrain warranty from Suzuki. Carmax will have zero experience with one of these cars, and w/o the proper Suzuki scan tools and programmers, likely hood of them successfully fixing much, if needed, is very low. Good news is the cars don't require much. Read "114 days" thread for proof. Used car dealers don't know squat about anything the sell other than how to separate you from you money. Hopefully you didn't pay too much for th car or the snake oil Carmax warranty seeing how the trade-in values have tanked since last year's pull-out. Trade-in values on low mileage perfect cars are abysmal. FYI Suzuki stopped selling new models here around January this year...old news. Buyer beware, next time research before you sign So... sit back, drive the snot out of the car until the wheels fall offand enjoy the ride!
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
KuroNekko

I've said this before in the forum and many owners agree:
The car itself is excellent, but the circumstances around it are not.

The car is reliable, good looking, fun to drive, economical, very safe, comfortable, and an awesome overall value.

However, the brand is gone and dealership network is dismal. It will also have poor resale value down the road. Parts and service are compromised.

Most owners here simply like the car too much to let it go. I have always bought used cars in cash and kept them for a while, long past warranty. For this reason, I care very little about trade-in value, but am very particular about build quality and reliability. I'm the total opposite of people who like German luxury lease-mobiles. These are are utter crap after their warranty period but these brands don't care as their core customers are leasers who get new cars every few years.
Cars that I love like Suzukis and Subarus are the antithesis of these.

True Made in Japan Suzukis are very solid cars that rival big names from Japan in durability and reliability. My first car was a Suzuki SUV and it was very durable and reliable despite the offroading it saw. My positive experience with that car is the main reason I now own another Suzuki; my Kizashi.

If you love the car, keep it. The car has relatively few issues and people here are helpful about resources. Very few other cars will drive like it does while offering the features and value.
Honda, Toyota, and Nissan rivals are dull appliances compared to the Kizashi. A Subaru Legacy is durable and offers AWD like the CVT Kizashi but is not as refined and does not drive as well. A Mazda6 is a good handling rival, but Mazdas tend to have lower durability than other Japanese cars and the fit and finish is not at the Kizashi's level.
None of the domestics compare to the Kizashi's handling either.
VWs are a joke.

If you want your car to be a worry-free appliance then a Camry or Accord is better. They will be around forever and dealers are ubiquitous.

If you want a car that was built ground up for the driver and handling was the focal point of its existence, then you already have the best in class. Enjoy.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Pyramid1

mgp123 wrote:Actually between work and loving the vehicle, those 5 days were gone before I knew it=/ But we still love the vehicle. The thing I'm so glad I did was to get the carmax plus service plan. So after the deductible, carmax should be responsible for finding the parts for repair. After that though we'll see. Just wish I had not jumped so fast.

Thanks for your thoughts. The info about the simplistic but reliable design is reassuring.
Does the Carmax service plan kick in after the transferrable 7yr/100k factory powertrain warranty is up or does it cover everything simultaneously? What I mean by "simple and reliable" is that Suzuki wasn't trying to break any new technological ground with the Kizashi...the engine was used in their Grand Vitara SUV, The CVT tranny is supplied by the same company Nissan uses, the multi-link/strut suspension is nothing new, and there is no 4 wheel steering, self parking, high tech safety/gimmick electronics etc..to go haywire eventually. Basically they seem like old school Japanese in that they feel well built and give you that little something extra that other cars of the same price are missing..

Anything mechanical with moving parts or electricity running through it will fail eventually...but I have no reason to believe that the Kizashi is a ticking time bomb simply because the parent company no longer sells cars here.
bootymac

The Kizashi is simple enough for the DIY'er or an independent mechanic. Maintenance parts appear to be readily available so that's not too worrying.

My main concern is when components start to fail and require replacement (shocks for example). There aren't many aftermarket options (if any) so that might pose a problem in the future
bdleonard

As far a shocks and struts go, KYB now has a part listing with expected manufacturing to being this quarter with availability early next year.
SamirD

Remember that Suzuki itself is still a major brand in the US with motorcycles. And even though the motorcycle and automotive divisions are probably separate, it won't be long before the same companies that distribute Suzuki motorcycle parts will realize they have a small market for automotive parts too.

Suzuki is also HUGE in other countries. My wife is from India, and this is the Mercedes s500 equivalent there, costing 2x in USD than what we pay--that's right, $60,000 USD. Parts are very available in India and since she still has family there, if I can't find a part here in the states, I'll just get one from India.

KuroNekko said it best, and I'm with him on the school of though of having a good car vs a good brand. A good car will last you two decades. But if you want to trade up or trade in after a few years to something else, you may find yourself a bit upside down. If you just bite the bullet and get a second car, and just keep the Kizashi, it should be okay because as the years go on and the reliability of this car starts to shine (like the 1990s Accords), you won't have any problem getting a fair price for it even when it is really old.

Quality is still something you can feel in a car. From the parts you touch, to the mechanicals you don't always touch. I've been impressed by the Kizashi and I don't even own one...yet. ;)