Fiat Chrysler cosies up with Suzuki

If it has an S on the front you can talk about it here.
newworld2004

2010 Dark Blue SLS FWD CVT
1998 Mitsubishi Montero Winter Package
1994 Soft-Top Samurai Sold
1993 Isuzu Trooper 2DR Sold
Moto
Site Admin

That could be interesting. Neither Dodge nor Fiat are selling great smaller midsize cars in the US. Maybe the Kizzy will undergo a face lift and live a again. (Sort of probably platform only)
KuroNekko

Not surprising given their prior history. The SX4 was co-designed by FIAT and Suzuki. Many think it was actually a FIAT, but it was not. It was co-developed, but the styling was Italian. The gas engine is Suzuki's.

Also, Suzuki went to FIAT for their diesel engines. This is the main reason VW and Suzuki had a falling out.

Given their prior history, I'm not surprised FIAT and Suzuki are interested in a partnership. That being said, not sure how it will affect the Kizashi unless FIAT plans to introduce a bigger car in foreign markets based on the Kizashi. I have heard nothing about a next gen Kizashi being developed so I have my doubts FIAT would simply put their engines and/or badge on the Kizashi as we know it.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
sx4rocious

Fiat offers nothing at all in that segment in the US currently. It might be a good spring board to launch into that segment in the US. Fiat already has more brand power and better marketing than Suzuki ever did in the US, so re-launching the Kizashi as a midsize in the US sounds like a good idea to me. We all already know the platform works, so why not? The Sedici (SX4's Fiat variant) is already being BEGGED for in the US since the SX4's departure, but I don't see that happening honestly. Fiat is all about their 500 based compacts at the moment, so one that looks radically different from the others from the same company wouldn't make much sense to me. Lately the trend is to build brand recognition, and it's been done using a lot of design similarities. Kia's all have similar grilles, Ford uses similar headlight and nose styling, Hyundai is creating similar body lines along their entire spectrum as well. The only companies that aren't doing it are the ones suffering heavily right now. Dodge, Chrysler, Nissan (although they are moving in that direction), Mitsubishi and so forth, are all struggling right now as most dealers are having issues "upselling" customers into cars that look radically different.

Case in point: If you went into a Ford store to buy a Fiesta because you LOVE the styling (I know, you might also fart unicorns and have a chupicabra as a pet since there is also no such thing as someone that actually LIKES the Fiesta's styling!) it wouldn't take much convincing to move you up to a Focus. Or from a Focus sedan into a Fusion, or a Fusion into a new Tarus, and so on. I personally like the new Dart's styling, but I can't stand the new Callenger. (excuse the unicorns coming out of my butt!) You really wouldn't have a chupacobra's chance in Zanadu of upselling me into one.

I don't really think it would be much of a challenge for Fiat to creat a funky and practical mid-sized sedan from a Kizashi platform. Feed it some bacon to fatten it up, throw on some rounder headlights, make it taller with a more squared orr stance, and there you go! the 500 MS (mid-size).
KuroNekko

I don't know how much the partnership would affect the Kizashi though. FIAT is in it for Suzuki's domain over small car markets like India and other nations in Asia. Suzuki is in it for access to FIAT's diesel engines for both India and Europe. FIAT already has cars that would compete with the Kizashi in Europe. If anything, it looks like FIAT in the US market is trying to have the 500 models be the affordable ones while re-introducing Alfa Romeo as an alternative sports car to other European brands. Hence, the Alfa Romeo 4C.

I personally think it's up to Suzuki themselves to figure out the future of the Kizashi, but I have very strong doubts we will see it again in North America short of Suzuki coming back.

Lastly, the Fiesta can look good. Especially the ST. I actually dig this car quite a bit.

~tc~

Why would FIAT be allowed to import a car that would compete with the Chrysler 200?

It's business folks, plain and simple.
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
KuroNekko

~tc~ wrote:Why would FIAT be allowed to import a car that would compete with the Chrysler 200?

You're quite right now that they own all of Chrysler. While not a FIAT or an Italian-branded car, it does not matter since the Chrysler 200 would do better anyway in the US market.
FIAT is very happy about acquiring Jeep as well given their strong sales in the US and their growing popularity in Europe and Asia. It's probably what they wanted most out of the Chrysler Group. The new Jeep Renegade looks promising, especially for foreign markets.
sx4rocious

~tc~ wrote:Why would FIAT be allowed to import a car that would compete with the Chrysler 200?

The 200 is based on a tired platform that no one really seems to like anymore. They aren't selling very well at all and really haven't since it was celled the Sebring in my area at least. It's a bit of a shame too since it actually looks like a nice car. (albeit still a Chrysler, therefore not one I would purchase) I certainly hope we get the Kizashi platform in something somewhere in the US in the furture, but I'm sure it's just wishful thinking. I am kinda intrested in seeing where Fiat takes Chrysler tho.
KuroNekko

sx4rocious wrote: The 200 is based on a tired platform that no one really seems to like anymore. They aren't selling very well at all and really haven't since it was celled the Sebring in my area at least. It's a bit of a shame too since it actually looks like a nice car. (albeit still a Chrysler, therefore not one I would purchase) I certainly hope we get the Kizashi platform in something somewhere in the US in the furture, but I'm sure it's just wishful thinking. I am kinda intrested in seeing where Fiat takes Chrysler tho.
I think you are talking about the old one. The new 2015 looks very promising.

More on it here:
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/20/2015 ... rst-drive/
sx4rocious

yes I was speaking of the current model. I do like the looks of the 2015, although if it's based on the existing platform, I don't see it taking off like Chrysler needs it to. Do you know if it is? or is it based on the same Alfa platform as the Dart?

I really hoped that the Dart would be a win for Chysler. It really is a good looking car and the Multi-Air engine is superb from what I've been told, however the car itself has really suffered with quality issues. More specifically the BCM (?). Given this unit (the 8" touch screen computer thingy that controls everything and gives the car it's high tech geekyness) is a major selling point for the car and literally controls 90% of anything the driver actually has control over, this is a drastic failure for Chrysler. I know 2 people that have purchased brand new Darts with this unit. The first is a coworker that owned the car for 18 months who had to have the unit replaced 7 TIMES!! before finally giving up and demanding the dealer buy it back. The last time, the unit locked the defrost on high in sweltering Indiana heat when he was over an hour away from home. The second owner bought his brand new and replaced the unit once withing the first 6 months at a cost of $2000 after being led to believe it was his fault because he installed (correctly I might add) HID headlights. Apparently this is a major issue in this car and I think it's a major diassapointment as well. I really wanted the Dart to be a good car. I so wanted a Turbo someday...