Suzuki Can't Keep Up With Demand For New Jimny

If it has an S on the front you can talk about it here.
Onikarge

Lots of people want the Jimny in Japan, which is limiting Suzuki's ability to export them.

The new Suzuki Jimny is a little, rugged SUV that many American are jealous that Europeans can buy. Anyone envious of the new owners can feel a little schadenfreude about what's happening to the vehicle in the U.K. market. Suzuki U.K boss Dale Wyatt tells Autocar that demand for the Jimny is "staggering" in Japan, and this is limiting deliveries to right-hand drive markets, like England.
The company has had 4,500 people register interest in the compact SUV, Wyatt told Autocar. However, Suzuki will only be able to deliver an estimated 1,100 Jimnys to the U.K this year. There will still be buyers in the U.K waiting to get model in 2019, too, because Suzuki will only be able to deliver around 2,000 units of the SUV each year there without some change to the vehicle's production.

In Japan, the Jimny comes with a 658cc turbocharged, three-cylinder engine that produces 63 horsepower (47 kilowatts) and 71 pound-feet (96 Newton-meters) of torque. Buyers there can choose between a five-speed manual or four-speed automatic. A two-speed transfer case and part-time four-wheel drive give the little SUV its famous off-roading capability.
Different regulations mean the setup is a little different in Europe. The Jimny has a 1.5-liter naturally aspirated four-cylinder there with 100 hp (75 kW) and 95 lb-ft (129 Nm) of torque. Like in Japan, it hooks up to a five-speed manual or four-speed automatic. The off-road equipment carries over, too. Motor1.com’s First Drive finds this to be “absolutely fantastic” on rugged terrain.
If there's a major downside to the Jimny it's that the little SUV doesn't score well in safety. Euro NCAP's test gave it only three stars and cited “underwhelming driver assistance systems” as standard equipment.

Source: Autocar
https://www.motor1.com/news/270134/suzu ... ng-demand/
Ronzuki

shocked....that's pretty much how it was here in 86-87 when the Samurai hit the states. They were literally flying off the lots by the truck-loads. Heep was threatened, embarked on a false CU backed BS smear campaign, the idiotic public bought it, and voila, no more Samurai. Oh no...we're not 'permitted' to choose rugged, simple, reliable and economical instead of extremely over-priced utter garbage in the Nanny States of America because it isn't perceived as safe...the rest of the world knows a good thing when they see it and ARE permitted despite that 'it's not safe'. Remind me again who's living in a free country and where?

"If there's a major downside to the Jimny it's that the little SUV doesn't score well in safety. Euro NCAP's test gave it only three stars and cited “underwhelming driver assistance systems” as standard equipment."

There's a reason off-road vehicles HAVE under-whelming assist sytems moron! The 03-04 Rubicons did not have anti-lock brakes, period, when all other same MY Wranglers did, not an option. There's a very simple, good reason...it's more dangerous when the driver isn't controlling every aspect of the vehicle's behavior in many off-road encounters. Application of brakes at the wrong time can be fatal. If one must have, or need, driver assistance systems...BUY SOMETHING ELSE! (as in one of a million other SUVs, or, a POS Wrangler for instance) One probably shouldn't own a Jimny (or anything like it) then for god's sake. Every vehicle designed and built can't be all things to all people. (especially idiots that need driver assist systems to go off-roading).
:facepalm:
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
KuroNekko

I saw the article a few days ago and was going to post it but was beat to it.
Coincidentally, I'm in Japan right now. Got here a few days ago and haven't seen a single new Jimny on the road yet. I'm sure I'll see them at the dealerships and on the road with more time.

I think Suzuki did a great job with the Jimny in delivering what a lot of people want in a compact SUV. They styled it well and also offer it in a variety of colors that appeal to a broad range of people. It's also affordable while being capable and economical to own and operate. This broadens the appeal to more consumers.

I hope the success of the Jimny outside the US spurs something to get a similar kind of vehicle on sale in the US.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
KuroNekko

Having read the excerpt in the original post again, I want to add that there are two types of Jimnys in Japan. The first is the 660cc Kei-vehicle type as referenced in the article. However, the article fails to mention that Japanese consumers can also get the Jimmy Sierra which is the one with the larger engine and wheel fenders as sold in the UK and elsewhere.

I also finally spotted one on the road yesterday. It was matte grey with a lift kit running around in downtown Osaka in front of the US Consulate General.
Ronzuki

Lift kit?! Already? Heavens no....it'll roll over! :lol: :lol:
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
KuroNekko

Just got back from Japan. In my 3 weeks there, I saw a total of 3 new Jimnys. The matte grey lifted one in Osaka, a matte tan one on Awajishima, and a lime-green Jimny in Kobe. I was with my high school buddy from California who is a huge Jimny fan as he used to own a modded Samurai. Given we used to offroad together in our Suzuki 4x4s, we were excited to spot the brand new ones in Japan but it was bittersweet as we knew they weren't coming to America. While I hoped to see more, I believe they are selling well. It's not hard to find 2nd and 3rd gen Jimnys all over Japan as they are well-loved there.