Suzuki Swift Sport to Debut at 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show

If it has an S on the front you can talk about it here.
vwoom

NEW SUZUKI SWIFT SPORT TO MAKE WORLD DEBUT AT 2011 FRANKFURT MOTOR SHOW

New Swift Sport: an evolution of Swift series' sporty flagship

The new generation Suzuki Swift Sport will make its world debut at the 64th International Motor Show (IAA), which will be held in Frankfurt, Germany, from 13 to 25 September 2011 *¹.

The new Swift Sport is a refined sport compact resulting from the first full model change since the launch of the original Swift Sport in 2006. It has a more aggressive and dignified exterior look thanks to a low-slung form that gives a sense of stability and tension, and a big front grille that evokes a sporty performance feel. The cabin combines essential sportiness with a high-quality look and feel, and design features that heighten excitement about the driving experience.

Higher power and lower fuel consumption are delivered by the 1.6-litre M16A engine, which Suzuki developed exclusively for the Swift Sport. The engine is mated to a specially developed six-speed manual transmission, resulting in performance that is both exciting and environmentally responsible. The new Swift Sport offers superior cornering stability and brisker, more responsive handling thanks to struts with internal rebound springs and an exclusive rear-suspension design.

High levels of safety are assured by features such as a light, stiff, impact-absorbing body, seven airbags (including curtain airbags and a driver's knee airbag); and ESP® (Electronic Stability Program).

Specification
Overall length 3,890mm
Overall width 1,695mm
Overall height 1,510mm
Wheelbase 2,430mm
Treads Front 1,470mm
Rear 1,475mm
Piston displacement 1,586cm³
Maximum output 100kw/6,900rpm *²
Maximum torque 160N-m/4,400rpm *²
*¹ The show will be open to the press on 13 and 14 September. It will be open to the general public from 15 to 25 September. The Suzuki stand will be located in hall 3.1, stand no A07.

*² The data is provisional pending the results of homologation procedures.
ESP® is a registered trademark of Daimler AG.
~tc~

But are they going to bring it to north America is the question!
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
Moto
Site Admin

The swift line was supposed to be here last year and never showed up... I won't hold my breath. From what I read about the car it now meets all of the required safety standards for North America but it seems Suzuki doesn't like to sell cars.

If they would hurry they could beat some of the other A segment cars coming to the US in the next 2 years.
vwoom

It is said that the decision not to sell the Swift in the US has to do mainly with the Dollar/Yen exchange rates (moreso today with a more weaker $ vs stronger Yen..no thanks to the S&P credit downgrade/current stock market correction) and "partner" VW bullying with the conflicting planned US VW Polo (minor issue I think, thanks to brave Osamu standing up vs VW management).

If it's mainly the currency exchange issue then..so how would Suzuki account for the losing profits for making every Japan made SX4 for sale to the US market?

If I was Suzuki, I'd discontinue the SX4 line for the US at the end of this product cycle...and replace it with the US market ready New Swift product line. Granted Suzuki would still lose profits due to the exchange rates (should they import Japan assembled Swifts), but this cult following model would definitely be a sure fire sales hit (compared to the SX4) and boost that much needed image for Suzuki in the US (to complement with the reputable Kizashi).
~tc~

If currency exchange rates are the issue, the Swift makes even more sense as it is made in many places - Japan, India, and Hungary are 3 I know of - and one of those should have some exchange rate that isn't too unfavorable
Moto
Site Admin

I don't think Americans will buy a Japanese car that is not manufactured in Japan. I really do not think the Indian or Hungarian versions of the car would meet the required standards for North American roads. (Hungarian version might if the steering wheel is on the left side of the car)
~tc~

I don't think 99% of buyers would ever know where their car was produced.

I agree the Indian Maruti version would have to be built to an "export" level.

Every Swift sold in Europe is made in Hungary. It's a HUGE plant, and yes, they drive on the same side we do. (That's actually MORE of a problem for the Japanese plants since they drive on the left)
vwoom

Moto wrote:(Hungarian version might if the steering wheel is on the left side of the car)
Hungary drives on the right-hand side traffic, which means...the steering wheel IS at the left side (left hand drive/LHD). :roll:
Moto
Site Admin

Fair enough :P I didn't bother to check.