Kizashi 2012 fuel economy

Let others know about your performance modifications, and help members find the parts they want.
laurentiu

Hello,

I have a Kizashi 2012, purchased in 2014 when it had 3500 KM, now at 111K.
At 87K the transmission died and It was replaced at a US dealer ( I am from Canada). Long story and expensive. At the time of the transmission replacement, the throttle body, water pump, and battery were changed too.
My problem is with the fuel consumption in town, lightfoot, I get 15-18 L per 100KM. Mix driving around 12L.
I tested driving 100KM and then filling up.
I am using Mobile1 high mileage synthetic oil, Mobile 1 filter. I used synthetic since I got the car.
Tires: Michelin PremierA/S, 1y old.
Is this normal? I keep the AWD system on all the time.
(If I sell the car, I won't get much for it.)

Thank you
Woodie

Ouch, that's bad. Roughly 15 miles per gallon in town and 19 mixed. (translating to what we use in the US, I just think better that way) Those tires don't get good mileage, but not enough to explain what you're getting. I get eight or nine more in those situations, but I've got a manual, no AWD. Hard to compare anyway as I don't know exactly what you mean by "in town" and "mixed". Constant stop and go city driving will certainly deliver horrible mileage, I never do that.

100km is not a measurable sample, you're not going to get reliable numbers that way. I wouldn't consider anything less than 50 liters a reliable sample. To be truly reliable you need three full tanks, if the first and last don't vary too much then the calculated mileage of the middle tank can be counted on as a good measurement. A full tank is 50 liters or more.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
BLyons

That's fairly similar to what I get, but I am definitely not light footed when I drive it and also use a remote start.
Black 2011 Sport SLS AWD
Ronzuki

I get 24 on my worst weeks. That is heavy footing, not taking my good ole time ramping up to speed, driving hard and fast, and low(er) air pressure in the tires. Speaking of, what pressures are you set at? That can make a significant difference. I run 41 front, 39 rear. Changed my CVT's fluid last spring (3 drain-n-fills) and that made a huge difference with throttle response and overall vehicle behavior. Bumped mpg up by about 2. Have you done that on this 'new' trans yet? Used trans or was the replacement brand new? The AWD on all the time isn't going to make any difference w/ the way you claim you are driving. It wouldn't change things much if you weren't anyway. The car is still lugging around that extra 400 lbs. of AWD running gear.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
laurentiu

Thank you for your response .
It's my first time posting on a forum.

The transmission was brand new, not sure if it came from Japan or from Suzuki California. Car died in Oregon and I had to toe it to Washington state at a Suzuki dealership.
They keep it for 2 months because the engine was overheating.(after the trany replacement). The problem was they forced the hose on the heating core and that caused a leak in it. At home I took it to another shop and they replaced it before November. At the end it cost me 10K CAD.

Tire pressure, 38.

I have a feeling when I drive it harder, it is using less gas.
I am somehow fine with the fuel consumption.
I was curious if it's my car or most of the Kizashi.
KuroNekko

What's your average speed? That is the best indicator of what kind of driving you are actually doing and whether the fuel economy is on par in respect to it. If you're often making short trips with frequent stops for stop lights, stop signs, or traffic, then fuel economy would be lower for any ICE car. For the Kizashi, it should average about 20 MPG in the city, but that's an average. Also, do you have a lot of stuff in the trunk or the rear seats? Lugging around extra weight?
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
old tech

In addition to whats already been advised, I would have you check trans and engine codes, current and pending . Clean both maf and throttle body and check air filter condition. Check all 4 wheels for rolling resistance (brake pads freezing up in the brackets and caliper slides due to rust swell . Very common if car has been in the rust belt ) Recheck milage.
laurentiu

The average speed on the screen is 31 KM per hour.
Back seat a booster seat and a baby rear facing seat.
Trunk is empty or has a few clothes for change.
Lots of stop and go, medium size town.
I live near Vancouver,BC.
Breakpads replaced at 84K. Just the pads and the break liquid.
I will have to take it to a mechanic to scan the codes, I don't have a scanner.
The throttle body is new.. The is one stopped was causing the car to go in safe mode (engine on, light engine on, no acceleration, could not drive).
Ronzuki

2012s had the non-Japanese (Taiwan I believe) Jatco CVT units. Trans replaced, overheating issues, 'new' throttle body...I'd be going back over the entire engine bay checking for things like vacuum leaks, loose connections, loose hardware and the like as well. The code reading at this time would be a prudent effort to see what's what.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
NickL

15 to 18 L is extremely high fuel consumption for this car, something is simply wrong.

It has been a year and a half since the Topic was created but I would like to share my experience. I drive MT Kizashi and if I drive it in the city, with a lot of stops and goes, a lot of short trips and cold start, consumption is arround 10 to 10,5 liter per 100km. On the highway it is usually between 7,5 and 9, depending on the style of a ride, but most of the time fails between 8 and 8,5 liters. On the open roads where the speed limit is 60mph, consumption is between 7 and 7,5 liters.

Considering the size and weight of a care, and especially the size of a NA engine, I think that Kizashi by any means can not be described as a thursty car. Just opossit, if driven carefully, it can return excellent mileage for this type of car with Petrol engine, and than is one more reason why I like this car.

The only area where the car is not so fuel efficent is when driving in the city, but this car is anyway not intended for that purpose.
"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing". H. Ford