Mazda 3 or Suzuki Kizashi

Let others know about your performance modifications, and help members find the parts they want.
TroglodyteD

Hey everyone,
I just joined the group. I'm really torn right now between two of my favorite cars out there, the Mazda 3 or the Suzuki Kizashi. Both will be manual, I was just wondering which one is more fun to drive at the end of the day. Thanks in advance!
ds
OliverB

Never drove a Mazda 3. I have no idea if they've made changes to their alloy for body panels or if they changed anything about their paint in the recent years, but these vehicles most definitely do not age well in the north-east.

I'm still stoked about driving a manual kizashi for 30 minutes back in September. :drive:
2007 SX4
2011 Kizashi
Ronzuki

Apples to apples, similar MYs, Kizashi MT hands down. Not even a discussion.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
KlutzNinja

Wouldn’t hurt to test drive both, if able. Easier said than done considering how rare manual cars (especially the Kizashi) can be lol. At least in the States.
Current: Blue 2018 Mazda 3 GT 5-Door
Previous: Blue 2010 Ford Focus SES,
Black 2013 Kizashi Sport GTS-L (CVT; FWD)(RIP)
KuroNekko

Well, you're in luck because I have owned both. I had a 2005 Mazda Mazda3 S with the 2.3 liter and 5 speed manual that I drove for about 50,000 miles before I sold it and got a 2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS with a 6 speed manual. All Kizashis come with a 2.4 liter engine.
Now keep in mind that generation and model year will make a difference regarding which Mazda3 you are comparing a Kizashi to. I strongly recommend you get a SkyActiv model given the technology really elevated Mazda in every way and further departed them from Ford.

While I'm sure there are notable differences between a newer Mazda3 and the first-generation model I had, I can say this much about a Mazda3 vs. Kizashi:

The Kizashi is a heavier, more refined vehicle that I certainly consider a small mid-size rather than a large compact, as some would say. The car drives much more like the midsize sedans I've driven compared to the compacts that I have. The Kizashi has much better noise isolation and is much more comfortable on longer trip. Everything from the suspension to the seats aid in this. It's also got noticeably better build quality and if you compare the same model years, I think you will see this between the Mazda3 and Kizashi. The Kizashi's real rival is the Mazda6, not the 3, though by size and dynamics, it's more like the Mazda3. The Kizashi is a unique in-betweener.

That being said, the Mazda did have some advantages. First of all, the manual shifter in the Mazda was hands-down superior to the Kizashi's. Mazda is famous for their excellent manuals and it was very noticeable. The transmission also seemed to be better paired to the engine in the Mazda thus it was livelier than the Kizashi's 2.4 mated to the 6 speed. However, keep in mind the Kizashi easily weighed about 500 lbs heavier than my Mazda3 so that's a factor.

Handling-wise, again the Mazda3 had a bit of an edge. It was a bit more nimble given the lighter weight and it also had hydraulic power steering instead of the Kizashi's electric. That being said, the Kizashi handles very well and considering it's significantly more refined and comfortable than the Mazda3 I had, the handling difference wasn't too considerable.

In the end, the better car is based on what your priorities are. If you want an economy car that is as close to a sports sedan as possible in fun factor on a budget, then the Mazda3 is better. It's simply more fun to drive with the better shifter, better engine-trans pairing, and more nimble and agile dynamics. There are also more aftermarket parts.

If you want a more refined car that's significantly more comfortable on commutes, long drives, yet offers a lot of nimble handling and fun-to-drive character, then the Kizashi is the winner. It sacrifices a little as a heavier car but offers much more in terms of being a "grand tourer" than an econo-sports sedan like a Mazda3. The best test of this was driving all day. I was exhausted after several hours in the Mazda3 and my passengers never complimented the comfort. The Kizashi on the contrary is a car I can drive all day and still feel fine and I always get compliments on its comfort and handling in grand-touring sort of trips. I literally get people falling in love with my Kizashi from the back seat.

I moved on from the Mazda3 largely because I wanted a more comfortable vehicle for my commute with noticeably better build quality and road isolation while not sacrificing too much in drive dynamics for a good value. The Kizashi nailed it for me and I never regretted moving on from the Mazda3 to the Kizashi. It's also been more reliable which isn't too surprising though the SkyActiv Mazdas are said to be the most reliable Mazdas to date. Mazdas will have better support and parts as they are still around unlike Suzuki. Pros and cons, but comparing just the cars, the Kizashi is the winner. I realized this back in 2012 and still think the Kizashi is the better car for the money.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
SAEED_KIZZY

KuroNekko wrote:Well, you're in luck because I have owned both. I had a 2005 Mazda Mazda3 S with the 2.3 liter and 5 speed manual that I drove for about 50,000 miles before I sold it and got a 2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS with a 6 speed manual. All Kizashis come with a 2.4 liter engine.
Now keep in mind that generation and model year will make a difference regarding which Mazda3 you are comparing a Kizashi to. I strongly recommend you get a SkyActiv model given the technology really elevated Mazda in every way and further departed them from Ford.

While I'm sure there are notable differences between a newer Mazda3 and the first-generation model I had, I can say this much about a Mazda3 vs. Kizashi:

The Kizashi is a heavier, more refined vehicle that I certainly consider a small mid-size rather than a large compact, as some would say. The car drives much more like the midsize sedans I've driven compared to the compacts that I have. The Kizashi has much better noise isolation and is much more comfortable on longer trip. Everything from the suspension to the seats aid in this. It's also got noticeably better build quality and if you compare the same model years, I think you will see this between the Mazda3 and Kizashi. The Kizashi's real rival is the Mazda6, not the 3, though by size and dynamics, it's more like the Mazda3. The Kizashi is a unique in-betweener.

That being said, the Mazda did have some advantages. First of all, the manual shifter in the Mazda was hands-down superior to the Kizashi's. Mazda is famous for their excellent manuals and it was very noticeable. The transmission also seemed to be better paired to the engine in the Mazda thus it was livelier than the Kizashi's 2.4 mated to the 6 speed. However, keep in mind the Kizashi easily weighed about 500 lbs heavier than my Mazda3 so that's a factor.

Handling-wise, again the Mazda3 had a bit of an edge. It was a bit more nimble given the lighter weight and it also had hydraulic power steering instead of the Kizashi's electric. That being said, the Kizashi handles very well and considering it's significantly more refined and comfortable than the Mazda3 I had, the handling difference wasn't too considerable.

In the end, the better car is based on what your priorities are. If you want an economy car that is as close to a sports sedan as possible in fun factor on a budget, then the Mazda3 is better. It's simply more fun to drive with the better shifter, better engine-trans pairing, and more nimble and agile dynamics. There are also more aftermarket parts.

If you want a more refined car that's significantly more comfortable on commutes, long drives, yet offers a lot of nimble handling and fun-to-drive character, then the Kizashi is the winner. It sacrifices a little as a heavier car but offers much more in terms of being a "grand tourer" than an econo-sports sedan like a Mazda3. The best test of this was driving all day. I was exhausted after several hours in the Mazda3 and my passengers never complimented the comfort. The Kizashi on the contrary is a car I can drive all day and still feel fine and I always get compliments on its comfort and handling in grand-touring sort of trips. I literally get people falling in love with my Kizashi from the back seat.

I moved on from the Mazda3 largely because I wanted a more comfortable vehicle for my commute with noticeably better build quality and road isolation while not sacrificing too much in drive dynamics for a good value. The Kizashi nailed it for me and I never regretted moving on from the Mazda3 to the Kizashi. It's also been more reliable which isn't too surprising though the SkyActiv Mazdas are said to be the most reliable Mazdas to date. Mazdas will have better support and parts as they are still around unlike Suzuki. Pros and cons, but comparing just the cars, the Kizashi is the winner. I realized this back in 2012 and still think the Kizashi is the better car for the money.
wow, very well comparison KuroNekko. actually somebody in another local forum ask me this question about mazda3. with your permission, I will translate your post and publish it in our local forum.
KuroNekko

SAEED_KIZZY wrote:
KuroNekko wrote:Well, you're in luck because I have owned both. I had a 2005 Mazda Mazda3 S with the 2.3 liter and 5 speed manual that I drove for about 50,000 miles before I sold it and got a 2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS with a 6 speed manual. All Kizashis come with a 2.4 liter engine.

wow, very well comparison KuroNekko. actually somebody in another local forum ask me this question about mazda3. with your permission, I will translate your post and publish it in our local forum.
Anytime, brother.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Ronzuki

SAEED_KIZZY wrote: wow, very well comparison KuroNekko. actually somebody in another local forum ask me this question about mazda3. with your permission, I will translate your post and publish it in our local forum.
Can't go wrong with any one of Kuro's well written responses...even if we don't always see eye-to-eye on some subject matter. :)
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
LPSISRL

^^ This...
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
TroglodyteD

I wouldn't be getting the skyactiv Mazda 3, though my brother has a 2018 and it's fun as hell to drive and its cabin is upscale, just out of my price range lol. I like the Kizashi and want something to be a fun family-hauler, so the Kizashi will probably be what I go with. Now just to find one with a manual that is in good condition. I wish Suzuki would have stuck in the states, they and Mazda are my favorite brands, and I feel Suzuki attempted the same strategy that Mazda is currently employing, that is making cars that punch upmarket whilst still maintaining their competitive price tag and features. Thanks for the helpful responses. Due to lack of Kizashi's stateside, how are they reliability wise? Do they have any major problems with the 6-speed or the engine?