Amazon basics synthetic motor oil!

Let others know about your performance modifications, and help members find the parts they want.
krell

I just wanted to share the vid. Thought people might like it. While yes top name brands can be had for cheaper, if I can get "Good" oil on the cheap, why not. That's just extra money towards other things. I'm just an average middle - low class person with a family.
Open your eyes, look within. Are you satisfied with the life you're living?
Woodie

Wow, $19 delivered for an oil that compares neck and neck with Mobile One? That's pretty sweet.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
bdleonard

It is made by Warren. They make and package a lot of the "house brand" oils for various stores (Walmart, Autozone, etc). It should be the same as their own MAG1 brand synthetic. You can go here and look up the dexos license number: https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexos1/index.html

All of the oils in that list with the same license number from dexos are the exact same oil.

EDIT: Updated Dexos link (current as of 01/26/2020)
Last edited by bdleonard on Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
SamirD

I hope they never have a problem with fakes or that value will down really quick when something goes wrong in the engine. :shock:
KuroNekko

Today, I purchased a box of the new Kirkland Signature Full Synthetic Motor Oil at Costco. I'm discussing it here given it's apparently the exact same stuff as the Amazon Basics Full Synthetic and Walmart's Super Tech Full Synthetic. They are all made by Warren and said to be very good for the value. Costco sells theirs for about $24.95 for a box of two 5 quart jugs. That's cheaper than a box of 6 quarts of Mobil 1 at Costco.

Historically in my Kizashi, I've used Pennzoil Platinum Full Syn 5W-30 from about 10,000 miles (first oil change after car purchase) to about 60,000 miles. I then switched to Mobil 1 5W-30 solely because I wanted to buy my motor oil at Costco. I basically ran Mobil 1 from 60,000 miles to my upcoming oil change that will be at 100,000 miles. While I think Mobil 1 is great, I've consistently experienced about 0.5 quarts of burn-off between oil change intervals which I did not see with Pennzoil Platinum. Sure, the engine has more miles, but M-1 burned .5 qts at 60K and still does at nearly 100K; it's been consistent. The engine also seemed smoother with Pennzoil Platinum in my experience. Hence, I'm eager to try something new for a significantly better deal. After reading and watching reviews and opinions on the Kirkland Signature oil, it seems like it's a safe bet. While M-1 might be technically better, I drive a Suzuki Kizashi, not a Corvette or a 911, and never been too thrilled about the half quart burn off I always saw with M-1. Lastly, going back to oil sold in 5 qt jugs will make used oil recycling a lot easier for me.

Anyone running the Warren Full Synthetic oils (Super Tech, Amazon Basics, Kirkland Signature) in their Kizashis for a while?
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Tom Kizzie

Is it possible (maybe) that you drove a lot of shorter trips in your pennzoil time?

"when an engine is started the oil pressure needs to build up in order for it to fully protect the engine. Lots of cold starts means lots of times the oil isn't protecting the engine adding to the wear.
Also when the engine is cold the mixture is run rich to aid combustion. This extra fuel can result in bore wash due to it running down the bores washing the oil away. This fuel then enters the sump diluting the oil meaning the oil can't protect as it should. In extreme cases of lots of short runs and cold starts the oil level may rise due to the oil dilution with fuel. You can usually tell if this is a problem as the oil will smell of fuel. Prolonged bore wash will eventually lead to bore wear.
Excessive carbon build up can also occur due to the rich mixture on continuous cold engine use. The carbon will also contaminate the oil.
If you are doing a lot of short journeys with a cold engine you should change your oil more often due to all the above reasons"
kizashi 6mt black
KuroNekko

Tom Kizzie wrote:Is it possible (maybe) that you drove a lot of shorter trips in your pennzoil time?

"when an engine is started the oil pressure needs to build up in order for it to fully protect the engine. Lots of cold starts means lots of times the oil isn't protecting the engine adding to the wear.
Also when the engine is cold the mixture is run rich to aid combustion. This extra fuel can result in bore wash due to it running down the bores washing the oil away. This fuel then enters the sump diluting the oil meaning the oil can't protect as it should. In extreme cases of lots of short runs and cold starts the oil level may rise due to the oil dilution with fuel. You can usually tell if this is a problem as the oil will smell of fuel. Prolonged bore wash will eventually lead to bore wear.
Excessive carbon build up can also occur due to the rich mixture on continuous cold engine use. The carbon will also contaminate the oil.
If you are doing a lot of short journeys with a cold engine you should change your oil more often due to all the above reasons"
No, my commutes were the longest when I had the Kizashi early on running Pennzoil Platinum.
I also noticed the burn-off with Mobil 1 even during the time I was driving in the same manner as the Pennzoil Platinum. Basically, only the oil brand changed and that's when I noticed burn-off between oil changes. This is the reason it caught my attention. While my driving routines have since changed, I noticed the burn-off with Mobil 1 was consistent over around the 40K miles I used it which included living on opposite ends of the United States and having different commute distances. While it's not a scientific measure, I'm pretty confident the correlation is with the oil.
I don't consider it a bad oil by any means but it gives me a reason to try something else to see if I get that burn-off.
I also recall writing about Mobil 1 burn-off observations here years ago. It hasn't changed.
I also don't neglect my oil. It gets changed about every 7500 miles and I use top-tier filters like Mobil 1, K&N, or Purolator ONE.
I'm not too concerned and more interested in trying something else, especially for this value.
OliverB

When I first got my kizashi @210,000 kilometers, I drained the oil and replaced it with Mobil 1 5w-30. 10,000 kilometers later, I lost just over a quart. Been running on penzoil since and I'm losing maybe half a quart every 15,000 kilometers. Currently @263,000 kilometers...
2007 SX4
2011 Kizashi
KuroNekko

I've since put about 3000 miles on the Kizashi with the Kirkland Signature Full Synthetic 5W-30 motor oil. I checked my oil recently and noted no burn off/loss at this mileage. I usually saw some loss with Mobil 1 5W-30 by this time in comparison. Looks like this oil will now be a go-to motor oil.
LPSISRL

KuroNekko wrote:Today, I purchased a box of the new Kirkland Signature Full Synthetic Motor Oil at Costco. I'm discussing it here given it's apparently the exact same stuff as the Amazon Basics Full Synthetic and Walmart's Super Tech Full Synthetic. They are all made by Warren and said to be very good for the value. Costco sells theirs for about $24.95 for a box of two 5 quart jugs. That's cheaper than a box of 6 quarts of Mobil 1 at Costco.

Historically in my Kizashi, I've used Pennzoil Platinum Full Syn 5W-30 from about 10,000 miles (first oil change after car purchase) to about 60,000 miles. I then switched to Mobil 1 5W-30 solely because I wanted to buy my motor oil at Costco. I basically ran Mobil 1 from 60,000 miles to my upcoming oil change that will be at 100,000 miles. While I think Mobil 1 is great, I've consistently experienced about 0.5 quarts of burn-off between oil change intervals which I did not see with Pennzoil Platinum. Sure, the engine has more miles, but M-1 burned .5 qts at 60K and still does at nearly 100K; it's been consistent. The engine also seemed smoother with Pennzoil Platinum in my experience. Hence, I'm eager to try something new for a significantly better deal. After reading and watching reviews and opinions on the Kirkland Signature oil, it seems like it's a safe bet. While M-1 might be technically better, I drive a Suzuki Kizashi, not a Corvette or a 911, and never been too thrilled about the half quart burn off I always saw with M-1. Lastly, going back to oil sold in 5 qt jugs will make used oil recycling a lot easier for me.

Anyone running the Warren Full Synthetic oils (Super Tech, Amazon Basics, Kirkland Signature) in their Kizashis for a while?
Been running the Super Tech synthetic for I don't know how long. Never had an issue. I'm in the gang that thinks if use a quality filter and change the oil every 5k miles, the oil is not going to make a hill of beans worth of difference.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)