Jim Russell Performance Driving 1 experience

Let others know about your performance modifications, and help members find the parts they want.
red rider

I took the Performance Driving 1 course today at Infineon Raceway in No CA.( it's on my bucket list) The 2011 SLS AWD sedan performed well. I Learned alot about braking, turning in, throttle management, sight lines, using the whole width of the track, not making the turns any sharper than they need to be, being smooth and consistent, proper seating positioning, hand placement, visual skills, etc.
I found the auto cross really challenging and a great warm up for the track time on the large track. I really appreciated how the track was set up, the braking zones and turn in points. The instructor in the lead car driving a Mitsubishi Evo communicated with the students with walkie talkies and provided timely feedback on our driving technique. There is turn 6 or the carousel which is a downhill left hand sweeper and I was following the other student in a Porsche Turbo Carrera, coming out of turn 6 I had it floored in 4th gear @ 80 mph couldn't keep up with the instructor and the Porsche. On my next lap I was in third gear coming out of turn 6 but hitting the rev limitor. I found myself on turn 11 sliding to the left out of my seat and bracing myself with my left knee. I really appreciate putting the car and myself though the paces. I realize that this car will handle, stop and turn much better than ever I will do so on the street and that alone is worth the price of admission. P.S, the other student cars were a Audi S4 and a 2012 BMW M1. This program and Infineon raceway is a class facility and experience. Highly recommended. :D
rocket_man

the manual 6spd will do 100mph topped out in 3rd gear.............
Mods: Cat Back, Under Drive Pulley, Strut Tower brace, K&N Filter, Sony Xplode 6 1/2 4 way speakers in rear, blacked out S in front grill, American Racing Alloys.
~tc~

Kind of brought a knife to thermonuclear war, but how did the Kizashi stand up to cars with 2x power and price?
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
red rider

I wanted to find the car's limits and my own. All in all, I felt the Kizashi performed commendably. considering it's size and horsepower (or lack there of). In the autocross portion of the course, handling is more important then horsepower. On the big track in the corners, the Kizashi kept up with the instructor and the Porsche with no problem. At Infineon, there are only 2 straightaways, the rest being turns which favor a vehicle like the Kizashi, Infineon is a tight, technical track. Where there was increased separation was coming out of turn 6 onto the straightaway , where I had it floored in 4th gear and in front of the grandstand before turn 1. Frankly, if the Kizashi had a turbo or supercharger, it would be perfect. However, on the street and highway, using the paddle shifters, the Kizashi is very competitive. I am looking forward to taking Perfrormance Driving part 2 in the Spring. It was a great experience! :P
Northernstar

cool experience :D
how much does it cost?
red rider

Yes, it was very cool! It cost $795.00 from 10 am to @ 4:00 pm. The instructor recommended taking a Go kart course which is cheaper and as much fun on it's own track. I think I'll take that class in the Spring followed by Performance driving part 2 in the Fall. Hey, every day's a gift, enjoy it. Take care.
Northernstar

holy crap.....that is expensive@@
Eric998765

$800 is a lot of money in general, but I'd probably drop it to play with my baby on a track

side thought: Rocket_Man, I feel sorry for your poor engine. I often floor it merging onto the interstate and 3rd gear red lines at just over 80mph which means you must be pushing 7500rpms. Actually, does that even work, I'm pretty sure there is a rev limiter?
EnfinityX

Eric998765 wrote:$800 is a lot of money in general, but I'd probably drop it to play with my baby on a track

side thought: Rocket_Man, I feel sorry for your poor engine. I often floor it merging onto the interstate and 3rd gear red lines at just over 80mph which means you must be pushing 7500rpms. Actually, does that even work, I'm pretty sure there is a rev limiter?
he said he hit the rev limiter right? So yes there is one and he was in 3rd gear on the second lap of the course where he was in 4th the first time around.
martin026

First time on the race track is a tough task to drive car, but it is quite cool to feel the experience which was sensed by racer. If car driving is your passion then money doesn’t matters. I am also passionate to feel the experience of racing on race track.