K&N Filters Now Avalible for Kizashi

Let others know about your performance modifications, and help members find the parts they want.
Senegal

This is not going to make sense,

but....with K&N I notice good improvement in the highway speeds (1-2mpg), but the city driving mpg is unchanged if not worse.

Anyone else experiencing this?
RiteRome

I was going to get the Drop in filter but after some things i have heard i might just wait for a full intake system.
LarryM

I have put K&N filters in may cars for the last 15 years. Zero engine problems. They are used in all types of race cars including desert racers. Had it in a Iceman intake in my Neon ACR(SCCA Stock Class Auto-X and TSD rallies) and after 50,000 miles when I pulled the head to replace a gasket there was no wear or scratching. Since you never replace the filter the cost is really not much different then standard filters if taken over the life of the car.
I just got my Kizashi and will replace the filter as soon as I find one locally.
gaww

The link below is to a detailed testing of KN and various OEM air filters. It is a little disturbing, as it debunks the primary claim of KN - that the better air flow is not a trade-off with filtering efficiency.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
havinfun

I am sad to report that the drop-in K&N filter on my Mazda3 (156 HP 4 cyl) seems to provide no benefits. I have kept meticulous mileage records over 35K miles, and there was no observable change in mileage with the K&N. I also did not get any "seat of the pants" performance improvement. On the downside, the filter takes awhile to clean, dry, and re-oil compared to just dropping in a fresh paper filter. And if you are not careful with the K&N re-oiling step, you can get filter oil up onto your MAS sensor wires after you reinstall the cleaned filter (requiring further careful cleaning of the MAS). All of this would be OK if I saw or felt performance improvements with the K&N, but nothing so far.
gaww

Just pulled my KN out and reinstalled the slightly used OEM until I can find one of the Hp Purolator filter (not listed yet for the Kizashi).

Too many tests have debunked the KN myth of both good airflow (true - but they clog up and restrict airflow rather quickly) and high filter efficiency (false - worse then virtually all others tested - Amsoil filter almost as bad).

You can put almost anything in a race car - they are constantly rebuilt, so that is not a good reference. It does flow good initially (but you will need to clean it about every 10,000-12,000 miles to maintain that - not 50,000). However, you are letting through about 4-5 times as much dirt/dust during that time and over 100,000 - 200,000 miles for no real gain - it is gone!

Some paper filters flow almost as good as a new clean KN, but filter dust much better.
R2C

Excellent observations gaww.

I can show you comprehensive test data to support your statements.

While the Initial restriction may be a couple of tenths lower, the restriction curve climbs very rapidly. Coupled with the fact that efficiency is diminsihed from approx. 98% down to approx 94%, engine protection certainly suffers.

The key to filter performance is low overall restriction, not only when new or clean, but when loading begins and the filters collect a good amount of dust. Obviously, maximum engine protection can never be compromised, as is the case with the oiled gauze products. During many of our tests that involved replacing the factory filter with an oiled gauze "performance" filter while maintaining the remainder of the factory system, we have been unable to witness any gains. That would be the case with our filters as well had we designed a direct replacement. The main source of restriction is in the system itself. It's not unusual to reduce the factory intake restriction by nearly half with an effective air intake system. The car will never respond to a few tenths w.g.
gaww

R2C wrote:Excellent observations gaww.

I can show you comprehensive test data to support your statements.

While the Initial restriction may be a couple of tenths lower, the restriction curve climbs very rapidly. Coupled with the fact that efficiency is diminsihed from approx. 98% down to approx 94%, engine protection certainly suffers.

The key to filter performance is low overall restriction, not only when new or clean, but when loading begins and the filters collect a good amount of dust. Obviously, maximum engine protection can never be compromised, as is the case with the oiled gauze products. During many of our tests that involved replacing the factory filter with an oiled gauze "performance" filter while maintaining the remainder of the factory system, we have been unable to witness any gains. That would be the case with our filters as well had we designed a direct replacement. The main source of restriction is in the system itself. It's not unusual to reduce the factory intake restriction by nearly half with an effective air intake system. The car will never respond to a few tenths w.g.

I think you might be referring to the extensive test of KN vs OEM filter (Busting the Myth) - it was a real eye opener. I had been using KN for years - but stopped based on these tests.

FYI - mentioned this in another thread, and the thread starter went ballistic - lol.
ampoldj

Just got my Order yesterday from the post office and fitted it right away at the parking area. The car felt lighter wherein before i have to press more the pedal to push the car from stop. Will have to check fuel consumption although i don't think there will be much difference in city driving
dslatsh

This is a little off subject but still has to do with k&n how does anyone feel about their oil filters? Not talking about the reusable ones but the one with that hex nut welded on it for easier removal. Reason I'm asking is due to the spot the filter goes I purchased one of these to make it easier to get.on as well as off. I've had mostly Hondas my life so my oil filter socket didn't fit.the small filter the kizashi wins. I usually use a bosch premium with filtech but does anyone know if that k&n filter is bad Ive heard on other forums people saying they don't filter as well but they seem to look like the same construction as bosch sort of.