Really poor gas mileage

Let others know about your performance modifications, and help members find the parts they want.
murcod

Where you drive (terrain and traffic conditions) also has a huge bearing. I lost 2l/100km on a vehicle from moving house to a hilly area. The regular route to work also changed from a reasonable distance with 80km/h arterial roads to shorter distances between more lights and all 60km/h. That was on a 3 cylinder turbo engined vehicle, if the vehicle was bigger (with a bigger engine) I'd imagine the increase would have been more substantial?

I know I've been stuck in heavy stop/ start traffic (hardly moving) in the Kizashi and I watched my average economy literally disappearing in front of my eyes. I was awaiting for 4-5 light sequences to get through intersections. :(

I could quite easily see a CVT Kizashi getting 12l/100km in heavy city traffic. The figures Suzuki got in their short test also suggest nothing is wrong with the vehicle.
David
WESHOOT2

Yesterday's tank was 454.3 miles, 15.003 gallons (of Mobil premium).

Most driving was under 100mph...... :shock:
mgp123

Thank you for all the input. Just to add my experience to the post:

2012se
2wd
CVT
Tire pressure,32psi
95% highway
Current avg. Mpg,25.0

I have noticed that every 50miles the economy goes up.1mpg
I'm still hoping for the rated 30mpg. Will have to increase the psi to 38. And take my Durango tools out of the trunk =/

The Durango was getting 14.5mpg. But that was what it was rated at. I hope car max didn't lie about the Kizashi's mpg,
KuroNekko

mgp123 wrote:Thank you for all the input. Just to add my experience to the post:

2012se
2wd
CVT
Tire pressure,32psi
95% highway
Current avg. Mpg,25.0

I have noticed that every 50miles the economy goes up.1mpg
I'm still hoping for the rated 30mpg. Will have to increase the psi to 38. And take my Durango tools out of the trunk =/

The Durango was getting 14.5mpg. But that was what it was rated at. I hope car max didn't lie about the Kizashi's mpg,
That's low for 95% highway.
What's the odometer reading of your car?
Also, check the car's placard for the PSI. Mine with the 18 inch wheels is close to 38 PSI. I'm getting around EPA estimate for my car.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Woodie

mgp123 wrote:I have noticed that every 50miles the economy goes up.1mpg
Okay, this makes me suspicious. Have you ever reset the mileage computer? It could be that you're looking at the average mpg for the entire life of the car. With the average mpg displayed, pull and hold the display button until it resets, then see what you're getting. Or figure it out the old fashioned way, divide miles driven that tank by gallons used to refill.
mgp123 wrote:I'm still hoping for the rated 30mpg. Will have to increase the psi to 38. And take my Durango tools out of the trunk =/

CarMax didn't lie about anything, well, at least not about mileage. They just told you what the EPA and Suzuki rated the car for, mostly the EPA. Put 40 psi in, winter's coming, and take any unnecessary items out of the car to save weight. Although weight won't make much difference at all on the highway. 95% highway you should be able to get 30 mpg easy, unless highway means 90 mph to you. :shock:

Just yesterday, I filled up my tank then set out on a 60 mile highway trip, forgot to reset the computer until I was out on I-95 going 70 mph on cruise control. When I got off the highway 50 some miles later, it was showing 38.5 mpg. Obviously, that dropped as soon as I got off and started dealing with lights and such. Also, the mileage computer is a bit optimistic, but we're talking at least 35 mpg at pure cruise. Strange thing is, on the way back with the headlights on, it only showed 36 mpg. I wouldn't have thought the lights made that much difference, but it was only about 5° cooler, and there was no elevation component to consider, so that's the only significant difference I can think of. Actually, my beer cooler was only half as full on the way back, so there was a weight savings. :lol: Need to do some experimenting to see if it's really the headlights sucking up that much power, doesn't seem likely to me.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
mgp123

Lol, it's good not to take these things so seriously. We,re going on a trip soon, I'll make sure psi is at 40, and record the experience when we get back. We'll try to stay in the double digit speed range :D
ipaqxman

mgp, what is your average speed in mph on your digital display?
2011 Kizash SLS AWD
mgp123

ok, it's official,

My kizashi gets 27.8 Hwy. That's 6 hours of highway travel.
The average speed is 65mph.

Disappointing, but what can ya do?
Moto
Site Admin

That isn't too bad if it was kind of cold out.
murcod

What sort of highway driving was it? Flat roads, non stop with no wind- or less favourable conditions?

(BTW that's 8.46l / 100km at 105km/h for any other metric people reading.)
David