Avoid ethanol belnd fuel

Let others know about your performance modifications, and help members find the parts they want.
SamirD

bootymac wrote:I used it on my GTI but my tune can use 91-92 and the methanol injection takes care of the rest 8-)
:shock: Slightly modified are we? ;)
SamirD

coref1 wrote:In Australia we have e10 however due to buyer resistance it hasn't really taken off as much as he Government would like. I don't use e10 as the mechanic that services my other car, Toyota Corolla, always says to me "don't use e10". In New South Wales, where I live, e10 was meant to replace 91ron ulp however due to buyer resistance this has not happened. In fact my local service station has put 91ron ulp back on. If I go to a Service station which does not have 91 ulp i buy 95 or 98 premium.
Keep up the fight! Ethanol should be an option, not a requirement.
Bizzenn

Besides fuel efficiency, have you noticed better engine performance and/or smoothness?
murcod

SamirD wrote:
coref1 wrote:In Australia we have e10 however due to buyer resistance it hasn't really taken off as much as he Government would like. I don't use e10 as the mechanic that services my other car, Toyota Corolla, always says to me "don't use e10". In New South Wales, where I live, e10 was meant to replace 91ron ulp however due to buyer resistance this has not happened. In fact my local service station has put 91ron ulp back on. If I go to a Service station which does not have 91 ulp i buy 95 or 98 premium.
Keep up the fight! Ethanol should be an option, not a requirement.
Actually it varies in each state here. Where I live they MUST have the bowser clearly labelled stating if the fuel contains ethanol - most fuels here don't. I've never used it.
David
SamirD

murcod wrote:Actually it varies in each state here. Where I live they MUST have the bowser clearly labelled stating if the fuel contains ethanol - most fuels here don't. I've never used it.
Same here in the US. 8-) But most pumps now say 'up to 10% ethanol'. :(
KuroNekko

I'm seeing ads that make it sound like lobbyists are trying to even further increase the ethanol percentage in gasoline. I believe the lobbyists are paid by farmers PACs that want their worthless corn to make them more money. Corn is basically a crop that is so cheap yet abundant, they want it to be fuel as well as food.

While the idea sounds great, the reality is that it's actually not any better for the environment in terms of emissions. Also, ethanol blends cause fuel economy to decrease. That would be detrimental to the environment.
It's also known to cause significant engine problems in small engines with carburetors like lawn mowers.

Basically, ethanol in fuel is a product of lobbyists and PACs, much like the resistance against it. Both sides push their agenda for the sake of their own profits.

The sad thing is that the blend is everywhere in the US so it's hard to avoid it if you wanted to. Just about every gas station uses a 10% ethanol blend. I've checked a site that showed non-ethanol gas stations in your area and for me, all were quite a distance away.

That being said, most modern fuel injected engines can handle a small percentage blend of ethanol with little, if any, issues.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
~tc~

SamirD wrote:The effective octane is higher as I know some high-performance enthusiasts who have moved their build to e85 versus using race fuel. The only disadvantage is that you need to move a lot more fuel. So bigger fuel pumps, injectors, etc. But the fuel is cheaper than 100+ octane per gallon. But you need more. Works out the same in the end imo.
Ethanol allows you to run both higher compression AND more fuel for the same amount of air, therefore providing the opportunity to make more power.

Stoichiometric ratio for gasoline is 14.7:1 while for ethanol it's 9:1, so you don't necessarily HAVE to fuel more, but you can - and since more fuel = more power, most people will want to run as much as they can.
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
coref1

The sad thing is that the blend is everywhere in the US so it's hard to avoid it if you wanted to. Just about every gas station uses a 10% ethanol blend. I've checked a site that showed non-ethanol gas stations in your area and for me, all were quite a distance away.
i don't know of any service station here that only has ethanol blend so at least we currently have a choice. I'm surprised that in the US there is so much ethanol blend given the amount of oil you still have.
~tc~

Yeah, but we have a HELLUVA lot more corn!
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
murcod

You should go down the path that Brazil has then. ;)
David