Avoid ethanol belnd fuel

Let others know about your performance modifications, and help members find the parts they want.
jcorcione

So i read thru the posts' -- how does one avoid the ethanol issue. I have been buying my gas from quick trip here in KC MO. I have owned it approx a little over a year now. been pretty happy with it.
Thanks
John
2013 Kizashi Sport SLS
Pearl White
KuroNekko

jcorcione wrote:So i read thru the posts' -- how does one avoid the ethanol issue. I have been buying my gas from quick trip here in KC MO. I have owned it approx a little over a year now. been pretty happy with it.
It's rather hard to avoid ethanol-blended gasoline in the United States, but it's not impossible. There are websites dedicated to this and allows you to search non-ethanol gasoline providers in your area. That being said, most are inconveniently located for many people and none I see in my state are from name-brand gas stations nor even located near me. I have no choice but to use a minimum 10% blend.

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
fjroman2

So...a gas station just opened up pretty close to my home that has Ethenol Free gas, here's the catch...it is about $.80 to $.90 more per gallon...is there any way this is worth it? I generally burn through a tank of gas in a week to 10 days. It seems to me that the gas is not in the tank long enough to be an issue...

Thoughts?
2013 Suzuki Kizashi SLS AWD - Premium Silver
Priors:
2007 Mazda 3S GTS
2004 VW Passat
1997 Nissan Pathfinder
2013 Honda Pilot (wife's vehicle)
KuroNekko

fjroman2 wrote:So...a gas station just opened up pretty close to my home that has Ethenol Free gas, here's the catch...it is about $.80 to $.90 more per gallon...is there any way this is worth it? I generally burn through a tank of gas in a week to 10 days. It seems to me that the gas is not in the tank long enough to be an issue...

Thoughts?
Wow, that's steep. Totally not worth it if it's nearly a dollar more per gallon. It would be if it was per tank. For a car like the Kizashi, I'd stick to the ethanol blend than pay such an insane increase in price.
bootymac

fjroman2 wrote:So...a gas station just opened up pretty close to my home that has Ethenol Free gas, here's the catch...it is about $.80 to $.90 more per gallon...is there any way this is worth it? I generally burn through a tank of gas in a week to 10 days. It seems to me that the gas is not in the tank long enough to be an issue...

Thoughts?
E10 blends won't cause any damage to your car so the only real concern is the reduced fuel economy (~3%). I doubt the extra cost of ethanol free fuel is worth it
murcod

I was reading this the other day http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/al ... age-engine
Most people realize that all of us burn gasohol—a mixture of gasoline and alcohol—in our cars. Just about every gallon of gas pumped today contains as much as 10 percent domestically produced ethanol. Gummed-up fuel systems, damaged tanks and phase separation caused by stray moisture infiltrating fuel systems have plagued many consumers since this mixture debuted, and the problems will only get worse if government policy to increase the proportion of ethanol to gasoline is implemented.
I'll never be putting any in my car, the short "shelf life" of it alone would cause me problems.
David
KuroNekko

murcod wrote:
I'll never be putting any in my car, the short "shelf life" of it alone would cause me problems.
Well, sounds like you may have a choice in Australia. We arguably don't in America unless one wants to go out of their way to find ethanol-free gas and pay nearly a dollar more per gallon.

The problems quoted in the article are also why I use petroleum-based fuel additives, but it's an argument for another thread.
murcod

KuroNekko wrote:We arguably don't in America unless one wants to go out of their way to find ethanol-free gas and pay nearly a dollar more per gallon.
It would probably still be dirt cheap compared to what we pay here. :lol:
David
SamirD

Even if it is $1 more per gallon, it won't cost but maybe $15 to use it once in a while to keep everything running smooth. Think of the ethanol free stuff as a fuel system cleaner. And I'm sure the extra cost will payoff in the end. You know how much it is to replace a fuel pump? :shock:
fjroman2

I was actually thinking the same thing...a few dollars here, might save a lot of dollars there...
SamirD wrote:Even if it is $1 more per gallon, it won't cost but maybe $15 to use it once in a while to keep everything running smooth. Think of the ethanol free stuff as a fuel system cleaner. And I'm sure the extra cost will payoff in the end. You know how much it is to replace a fuel pump? :shock:
2013 Suzuki Kizashi SLS AWD - Premium Silver
Priors:
2007 Mazda 3S GTS
2004 VW Passat
1997 Nissan Pathfinder
2013 Honda Pilot (wife's vehicle)