transmission swap

Let others know about your performance modifications, and help members find the parts they want.
Dthrill_08

Has anyone tried a transmission swap to a none CVT? How about engine swap? I keep reading about how CVT can give problems so I wonderif mine starts going bad I'll swap it for a none cvt
~tc~

Way more trouble than its worth. In addition to adding a clutch, you'll need a new computer and different sensor wiring to said computer.

Same with engine swap.

You want to get into these kinds of mods, you need a more popular vehicle with far more aftermarket support than exists for the Kizashi.
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
BxKizashiS

I wish i could do this to mine, i want to swap my CVT to manual as well.. But liek tc said its going to be soo much money unless u do like drag race status were u have your car specific for racing. Motor, car shell and 1 seat lol
2012 Suzuki Kizashi S AWD
H&R Springs, RRM Intake, Magnaflow Custom Exhaust, NRG Bucket Seats, Takata Drift II Harness, Cypher Auto Harness Bar, 25 shot NOS(for now)
Facebook.com/jpreludesi
IG: N2OKizashi
KuroNekko

Just adding to what has already been said: It's not worth it. By the time you'd need a new transmission from normal wear, the value of the car would be far lower than the cost of installing a new transmission of a different type (like CVT to manual). Heavy modifications and electronics would also be needed.

It's not impossible, but since the aftermarket support scene is dead for this car, it's really going to be very tough. Sure, there are people who put a Lexus V8 in a Corolla, but again, these are products from the most popular automaker in the world. Corollas and their parts are abundant. Toyota/Lexus V8s are not hard to come by either. It also required quite a bit of custom modification on the owner's part.

Keep in mind that the majority of Kizashis are CVT and while problems can and do occur, it's not that common. In essence, the Kizashi's CVT is not a known problematic unit like say in a Nissan Pathfinder. If there is any known universal problem among Kizashi owners, it's the crappy thin paint and finish.

Also keep in mind that the CVT is covered by the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty as it's a powertrain component. By the time the warranty coverage is expired, sadly the Kizashi would worth near nothing to bother investing in such an expensive modification from CVT to manual.

I also have the same view regarding forced induction kits like turbochargers on this car. I'd rather get a factory turbo car like a Subaru WRX or Mazda Mazdaspeed3 than bothering to install an aftermarket turbo and deal with the reliability headaches that come with it. It may be fun if the Kizashi was a side project car, but it could easily turn into a nightmare for a daily driver car, especially since there is such little aftermarket support (heck, even dealer/corporate for North Americans) for the Kizashi unlike most other cars.

The investment vs. resale value factor also comes into play. It's hard to justify spending thousands in mods on a car that is steeply plummeting in market value over the years. And again, say your heavily modded Kizashi needs a new part in the engine or transmission because of the added stress from the mods. Good luck finding a replacement part given the non-existing aftermarket scene and diminishing dealership support in America.
Hell, I can't even find shocks other than the OEM KYB Excel-G shocks for the Kizashi. Not even big JDM names like Tein and Cusco make aftermarket shocks for the Kizashi even in Japan. Sure, you can get aftermarket springs, but these names offer electronically-controlled suspension systems for other cars.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
bootymac

I agree with Kuro. The Kizashi is just the wrong platform for heavy modifications
Dthrill_08

I knew I should of gotten the Lancer Sportback GTS. I chose this one because it was 2 years newer and about 20k less miles.
KuroNekko

Dthrill_08 wrote:I knew I should of gotten the Lancer Sportback GTS. I chose this one because it was 2 years newer and about 20k less miles.
The Kizashi is a better car: Better safety, better refinement, and better build quality.
Also, unless you get a Ralliart or Evolution, the Lancer is not going to be a better performing car. The Sportback was only offered in performance levels of the normal Lancers so it really would not have topped the Kizashi. The Sportback GTS was also offered in a CVT and it's even a JATCO unit like the Kizashi's.

Also, converting any car to something like an automatic to manual is hellishly difficult regardless of make or model. It's simply smarter to get a different car of the transmission type you want.

Lastly, it's not like Mitsubishi is really a much better car brand in terms of reputation, support, etc. Many thought they were going to bail out like Suzuki given their dismal sales and pathetic line-up. However, a recent report claims that they made record profits last year, mostly thanks to sales in Southeast Asia. Regardless, in the US market, they are going to focus more on SUVs and crossovers. As proof, they are discontinuing the Evo to the dismay of many fans. Their latest concept vehicles were all SUVs or CUVs.
The new Mirage is probably the worst new car you can buy short of the Smart car. The Lancer is old and outdated compared to all of its rivals and Mitsubishi seems to care less. There is talk that they will partner with Renault of France to co-develop the next generation of sedans to replace the now defunct Galant.
Regardless, it's not like Mitsubishi Lancer owners have a lot going for them right now.
SamirD

For some cars, such a swap from cvt to manual (or auto to manual) can be decently bolt-on.

However, as everyone has already mentioned in this thread, this is not the case for the Kizashi.
Dthrill_08

KuroNekko wrote:
Dthrill_08 wrote:I knew I should of gotten the Lancer Sportback GTS. I chose this one because it was 2 years newer and about 20k less miles.
The Kizashi is a better car: Better safety, better refinement, and better build quality.
Also, unless you get a Ralliart or Evolution, the Lancer is not going to be a better performing car. The Sportback was only offered in performance levels of the normal Lancers so it really would not have topped the Kizashi. The Sportback GTS was also offered in a CVT and it's even a JATCO unit like the Kizashi's.

Also, converting any car to something like an automatic to manual is hellishly difficult regardless of make or model. It's simply smarter to get a different car of the transmission type you want.

Lastly, it's not like Mitsubishi is really a much better car brand in terms of reputation, support, etc. Many thought they were going to bail out like Suzuki given their dismal sales and pathetic line-up. However, a recent report claims that they made record profits last year, mostly thanks to sales in Southeast Asia. Regardless, in the US market, they are going to focus more on SUVs and crossovers. As proof, they are discontinuing the Evo to the dismay of many fans. Their latest concept vehicles were all SUVs or CUVs.
The new Mirage is probably the worst new car you can buy short of the Smart car. The Lancer is old and outdated compared to all of its rivals and Mitsubishi seems to care less. There is talk that they will partner with Renault of France to co-develop the next generation of sedans to replace the now defunct Galant.
Regardless, it's not like Mitsubishi Lancer owners have a lot going for them right now.
I agree with most of what you said but the GTS has standard BT, and something else. The zashi does have better crash safety and MPG but the Sportback is better performance, utility. I had test drove both before purchasing. I enjoyed the leather,sunroof, BT , handling and performance of the Sportback but the Kizashi was 2 years newer and less miles.
KuroNekko

Dthrill_08 wrote:
KuroNekko wrote:

I agree with most of what you said but the GTS has standard BT, and something else. The zashi does have better crash safety and MPG but the Sportback is better performance, utility. I had test drove both before purchasing. I enjoyed the leather,sunroof, BT , handling and performance of the Sportback but the Kizashi was 2 years newer and less miles.
Well, keep in mind that's more related to your Kizashi trim vs. Lancer trim than actually Kizashi vs. Lancer.
My Kizashi Sport GTS has a moonroof, Bluetooth phone and audio, the 10 speaker Rockford Fosgate stereo, and other goodies. I have cloth seats but I deliberately sought cloth over leather.

I do like the look of the Lancer Sportback and they are rare as well. However, I'd never consider a Lancer over a Kizashi unless it was a Ralliart or an Evo.
Lancers are now getting really old and Mitsubishi can seem to care less.