CVT lowest Gear Ratio

Let others know about your performance modifications, and help members find the parts they want.
metatrox

What's really odd to me is, out of all the video reviews I've watch from respected reviewers, no one mentions how slow it is off the gun. Some say it's not as sporty as proclaimed but no one mentions the lag in the begining.
2010 SLS, Platinum Silver.
lookin

what lag
Senegal

if you feel a lag even in the manual mode, then there could be something wrong...i'd get it checked out.

I could get up to 40 mph in matter of seconds in the first/second gear when in manual mode
metatrox

The car has good power past 15mph or so. But from a dead stop if you hammer it, it's quite slow to get going. My 90hp vw jetta diesel starts off the line faster.
Minority

Metatrox wrote: My 90hp vw jetta diesel starts off the line faster.
I guess that will be down to the diesel torque advantage.

I don't think the Kizashi engine produces much torque below 2500 to 3000 rpm, at least it doesn't feel like it to me.

The CVT gets around this quite nicely by keeping the revs up nice and high when you boot it, but you'll still miss the low down torque from a standing start.
babacu

Senegal wrote:if you feel a lag even in the manual mode, then there could be something wrong...i'd get it checked out.

I could get up to 40 mph in matter of seconds in the first/second gear when in manual mode
It's the initial hesitation that I think everybody is complaining about. Twice these past few days I had time to change my mind and press the brake right after hammering the acceleration, when I saw it not jumping when asked to (I'm still getting used to this...). It's when I'm about to enter a street and another car's coming, or when I'm about to make a left turn at an intersection and there's some incoming traffic, that I feel the need for that initial oomph.

I guess with a manual transmission one can work the clutch and rev the engine a bit before releasing, but there's no such thing with the CVT.

One thing I noticed, though, when starting the car in the morning: while the engine is revved more until it warms up (nothing new here) it does feel a bit more responsive. So I'm hoping that the ECU might be programmed to keep the engine a bit more revved at low speeds. This will translate in poorer fuel economy, but at least there'd be a choice.
gaww

the lag is the lack of initial "ooomph" babacu mentioned.

The CVT is almost 2 seconds slower from 0-60 than the manual, and that accounts for most of it. Do not care about track times, but do notice it in certain traffic situations like babacu.
metatrox

Exactly what you!
Danbob

I was wondering ab out this lag, because the car is fairly quick except for this one spot. So, the dealer can reflash the ECU under a TSB? So, I should take my car to them and tell them to fix the acceleration problem?? I had no idea that this was an actual issue. I thought it was just the way the cvt was in auto mode.
Minority

Danbob wrote:I thought it was just the way the cvt was in auto mode.
Spot on, that's just the way the CVT is. I don't think your dealer will be able to do anything about it.
Even in with the CVT in manual mode first seems to be quite highly geared.