Pushing the ignition button while driving

Let others know about your performance modifications, and help members find the parts they want.
dmitche

What would happen if I pushed the ignition button in my Kizashi while driving under 5 mph? 50-60 mph?
KuroNekko

dmitche wrote:What would happen if I pushed the ignition button in my Kizashi while driving under 5 mph? 50-60 mph?
Never tried it but probably nothing. I think the cars are built to prevent accidental engine cut-off. It's probably programmed to only allow an engine cut-off when the speed is 0. After all, the reason why you can still drive the car without the fob (after it's been started) is because it's a fail-safe against faulty fobs or their batteries when the car is running. Imagine if you were driving and the fob battery died, shutting off the car suddenly. That would be bad so it's designed not to do that. I think the same principle applies for the ignition button.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
honsonwong

I found the following video from youtube, but don't know is Kizashi the same.

KuroNekko

The pressing and holding for 3 seconds makes sense. It's probably an implementation so one can turn off the engine in the case of a stuck accelerator. However, getting people to remember this when they are panicked is going to be a challenge. Most can't even figure to shift to N.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
dmitche

I tried this on my kizzy a couple days ago in my driveway going 5 mph....didn't turn off. So 5 or 50 mph, car won't turn off in middle of driving....I've yet to try the 3 second thing.
cobymark

Any update? Did you you try pressing the button for 3sec?
Ronzuki

Saw a video on one of those "caught on camera" TV shows of police dash-cam capturing a woman blazing down a crowded interstate wide open, 120+ mph, in some type of SUV. Passing in the median/shoulder at crazy high speed. Couldn't stop the vehicle. Brakes didn't work, OFF button didn't work, couldn't put it neutral or park (presumably electric shift control). Nothing would stop it. She was on the phone w/ 911 the entire time freaking out because she was approaching a metropolitan area. She finally got the thing to stumble by frantically mashing the accelerator and brake at the same time so the 911 operator told to keep doing it, and finally, she regained 'control" for lack of a better term. Now, I suppose it is possible that a floor matt may have been to blame.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)