turbo kizashi

Let others know about your performance modifications, and help members find the parts they want.
jeffery.peeler

I have heard the cvt cannot handle the power of the turbo. any thoughts?
KuroNekko

jeffery.peeler wrote:I have heard the cvt cannot handle the power of the turbo. any thoughts?
There is only one company that has a turbo kit readily available for the Kizashi; RRM. They claim it's only for the manual model. I think it is safe to assume the CVT cannot handle the power and that the turbo kit's chip wasn't tuned for the CVT.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
jeffery.peeler

I called rrm and their turbos are for automatics. It doesn't make sense about the tranny though. they have turbos for this car but it can't handle it?
KuroNekko

jeffery.peeler wrote:I called rrm and their turbos are for automatics. It doesn't make sense about the tranny though. they have turbos for this car but it can't handle it?
Be careful. I recall seeing for years that this turbo kit was strictly only for the FWD manual trans models. It seems that they have changed things up, probably to liquidate their stock of them. Their website for the product no longer states the product is only for a manual, but I'd be very wary. Keep in mind that even bone stock, the CVT model has 5 less HP than the manual. The manual's engine is rated at 185 HP while the CVT model is 180 HP.

Personally, I think it's a terrible idea to turbo any Kizashi unless you have a lot of money to blow and don't consider the Kizashi a daily driver. Aftermarket turbo kits often come with a slew of problems with just the kit alone. Then consider that the engine's components like the cams, valves, and connecting rods weren't designed for the added power. Then there's the transmission to worry about. Also consider that Suzuki left North America, parts are hard to find, the Kizashi was discontinued, and your car still may have a powertrain warranty if left stock (7 years/100,000 miles). RRM is also the only aftermarket supplier and even then, they've discontinued parts. They are simply selling off unsold stock. The proof? Try to buy a RRM rear sway bar. After a bunch of us grabbed the last of them on sale, they've been out of stock... for well over a year now.

There isn't an active member here who has a RRM turbo kit to detail their experiences. I've heard of people out there who have them in their daily drivers, but unless they personally chime in, who knows what it's actually like. I've also never seen an example of a reliable and long term aftermarket turbo'ed car. They're often destroyed mechanically or in an accident in short time. The only rare exceptions seem to be meticulous enthusiasts who had the kit installed by dedicated pros and the car is mostly a garage queen.
It make much more sense to simply get a car with the powertrain you seek than try to heavily mod a daily driver like the Kizashi which already has minimal aftermarket support, let alone OE parts readily available.

The one guy who was aiming to put a turbo in his manual Kizashi even bought the kit but ended up ditching the whole plan (and the car) before the turbo was installed to get himself a new Subaru WRX. He's the guy who commented in the other thread you posted in. The WRX is a car that is available with a turbo, AWD, and a CVT from the factory with a warranty and even then, doesn't seem bulletproof.
Armykizyguy92

hes not lying. to turbo the kizashi is a mistake and an investment i wish i never made. that 6k could have gotten me alot more outta my current car ( built motor 15 WRX). the kisashi was a great car but it was never made to be a true sports car. if you really need four doors and a turbo get a newer subaru or an older evo. if an automatic is needed the new wrx cvt can handle about 300hp and tq. or you can get a rallyart or a evo x mr .
Current "stage 2" 2015 wrx base world rally blue

Previous 2011 Kizzy Sport SLS FWD 6-Spd
Custom exhaust, 20% tint
Soon to have H&R springs and Stage 2 turbo from RRM
KuroNekko

Armykizyguy92 wrote:hes not lying. to turbo the kizashi is a mistake and an investment i wish i never made. that 6k could have gotten me alot more outta my current car ( built motor 15 WRX). the kisashi was a great car but it was never made to be a true sports car. if you really need four doors and a turbo get a newer subaru or an older evo. if an automatic is needed the new wrx cvt can handle about 300hp and tq. or you can get a rallyart or a evo x mr .
I think the manual WRX is a solid choice, but if an automatic is desired, the Mitsubishis are the better choice. The Evo and the Ralliart both used the same Dual Clutch Transmission which is far better for performance than a CVT. It's also more durable, I think. It's a shame that all Lancers, ranging from the base models to the Evo, are getting discontinued.