Black Kizashi: Melbourne

Post videos and photos of your Kizashi.
Kiz224

Wow! You make me want to detail mine. We've had a lousy spring here in MN, so the best weather for detailing. My Kizzy goes through the snow great though.
~tc~

Is the paint sealant resistant to swirls, or do you still have to be paranoid careful?
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
CLLee

~tc~ wrote:Is the paint sealant resistant to swirls, or do you still have to be paranoid careful?
To my knowledge, I don't think there's a sealant that's resistant to swirls.
Swirls are micro scratches on the clear coat itself anyway.
And the wax/sealant layer is usually too thin to withstand scratches.
They act more as a sacrificial layer - watermarks or micro scratches on the sealant rather than clear coat.
And these are easier to remedy. I notice watermarks disappear gradually as the sealant wears off, or after a few added layers.

Just be careful with your paint. I never ever wipe down the car. Resist...!!!
Always wash properly with a good car shampoo with good lubricant, plush microfiber mitts and cloths.
If I'm too busy and car looks dirty, I drive to a DIY car wash, spray the car with diluted car shampoo (I carry in the boot), high pressure rinse the car and drive it down the freeway.
The sealant I have is so hydrophobic, water get blown off easily.

It's not that hard. Unless you have friends who don't know how to use a door handle
lol
~tc~

I don't know how many times I have had to tell my wife not to close the door with her fingers on the paint. Handle or palm of hand on edge of door - no fingerprints!
11zukizashi

So, each section is washed with a fresh clean mitt to avoid cross contamination.
Do you also use a different towel on each of your limbs when you take a bath?? lol
~tc~

You don't get swirl marks on your arms. You DO on black paint. 11 is overkill, but you need at least 2.
CLLee

~tc~ wrote:You don't get swirl marks on your arms. You DO on black paint. 11 is overkill, but you need at least 2.
Let me explain why 11... lol

We had water restrictions in Melbourne a while ago and weren't allowed to wash our cars at home. So, I washed at an open air DIY car wash at night; only time they allowed people in who use their own washing gear.
It's cold in winter. Saves me almost half the time without rinsing the mitts after every panel.
It came about over a period of 2-3 years as I experimented how I can make my washing faster and safer.
Started with 2 mitts... and gradually I kept getting more. LOL

Also, a friend of mine accidentally picked up a tar in his mitt while washing.
When he realized it, half his car had been scratched. He's a detailing enthusiast too.
It happens.
KuroNekko

CLLee wrote: Also, a friend of mine accidentally picked up a tar in his mitt while washing.
When he realized it, half his car had been scratched. He's a detailing enthusiast too.
It happens.
I actually got a bit of tar on my microfiber towel the last time I washed my car. It was a little spot and I found it early, but it did spread tar on my car when I was cleaning. Luckily, no scratches and it came off easily.
Also, I have thought for a while that it was a good idea to rinse in a different bucket than the soapy water, but never did anything about it. It makes so much sense though. I am going to do so from now on given how nasty my soapy water bucket gets when I wash my car. Thanks for reaffirming the technique.

I also have a black Kizashi and can attest to how easily it can look dirty and how noticeable fine scratches and swirls are. Black cars are hardest to keep looking clean, but when they are cleaned and dressed up, they are seriously stunning.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
CLLee

KuroNekko wrote: I also have a black Kizashi and can attest to how easily it can look dirty and how noticeable fine scratches and swirls are. Black cars are hardest to keep looking clean, but when they are cleaned and dressed up, they are seriously stunning.
I've only ever owned dark coloured cars, because I love them. :D
Here's what I find works best:
1/ Wash and wax regularly. Even if you have paint protection, layer with carnauba or sealants that won't 'polish' off your underlying paint protection. Read labels. Many so-called waxes on the shelf double as chemical polish and sealant.
This prevents contaminants from bonding stubbornly to your paint.
Easier to wash means less marring/swirls.
2/ Resist cleaning your car, unless it's done properly with a good safe wash.
I would rather have a dirty car than a car covered in swirls. I see people wiping down their cars with mineral water (bottles) and a towel on the streets all the time, or those waterless wash. Big mistake.
3/ Remove bird/insect droppings immediately. A good sealant protects your paint up to a certain time frame. It will eat through eventually... esp bad for bat droppings.
Soften the area with tissue soaked in a quick detailer. Leave it over the area for a few minutes. Don't scrub or use your nails. Use more tissue if necessary. Once softened, gently dab off the droppings. Treat only the affected area, avoid wiping the entire panel because you couldn't stand having a clean spot.
4/ If you really can't stand your dirty car and have no time to wash, this is what I do.
Carry a spray bottle in your boot, with diluted car wash. Drive to a DIY coin operated car wash. Spray the entire car with the car wash mix. Turn on the high pressure rinse.
In Australia, without pressing the trigger, the hose let out a fine mist of water. Use that to cover the entire car allowing your car wash mix to dwell and lift the dirt. Then high pressure off the soaps. DO NOT DRY!!! The car is not completely clean. Wiping it will give you swirls. Just take the car for a spin... Down the freeway is the best if you can find one. I prefer to do this at night so that the water don't dry in the sun leaving watermarks. This method works really well if your paint has a good layer of wax/sealant.

You probably realised by now I have OCD :D

Eventually, you'll get some swirls/scratches. It's just the natural process of things.
Have the car detailed then.
ssghembree1

I thought I liked the way mine looked after I waxed it. Now I need to get mine fully detailed. It looks real good.