Snow day in DC

Post videos and photos of your Kizashi.
Woodie

I'm sure you're all terribly worried about those of us in the DC area. The Federal Government has closed down (don't you feel safer today?) because of the treacherous conditions. My Kizashi is safe and sound in my driveway, don't be alarmed when you see how nasty it is at 8:00 this morning:

:facepalm:
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
SamirD

Wow, that's tame compared to what we were driving in on Sunday. I'm guessing you guys are getting pelted and coated with ice?
KuroNekko

DC government shits their pants when it snows, even a little.
I work for a federally funded agency in DC and we closed today due to "snow".

But honestly, it may not be a bad thing because DC drivers are absolutely horrible in any weather condition. Snow is beyond most DC drivers' skill level.

I recall a time 2 years ago when it started snowing in the afternoon and people commuted home in the snow. Many of my co-workers did not make it home, but I did in my FWD Mazda with all-seasons even when I had a commute twice as far. It's really about skill and understanding that a car handles, accelerates, and brakes very differently in the snow. I deliberately took unpaved roads that had less traffic so other drivers would not get me stuck behind them.

I learned to drive on a mountain that got at least a few feet of snow every winter so snow driving was instilled in me since the 16 year-old permit days.

I also don't understand this East Coast aversion to chains and cables. They are a MUST in California mountains (the CHP will not allow cars without 4x4 to ascend mountains without chains or cables). I don't care how good your snow tires are, chains are better hands down. They POUND INTO the ice and snow for traction. I've had snow tires on 4x4s. Chains have better traction.
Someone told me that they are illegal in DC so that's why no one has them. I can care less about the law when it comes to traction and my safety. I'm buying cables (only because chains won't fit the low profile tires and wheel wells) for my Kizashi soon and will happily use them in DC.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
sx4rocious

we got 11 inches of snow on Thursday on top of about a tenth of an inch of ice and sleet. I work in a prison 36 miles away. If I'm scheduled to work that night, I better be there of have a good excuse. My SX4 did the trip effortlessly @ 50 MPH.... I love that car!! My wife is afraid to scratch the Kizzy, so it stayed parked in the driveway all day and she took mine.... LOL
Woodie

I ended up going into the office anyway once I saw what a fizzle it was. It was sweet, only the winners were there, we got a lot accomplished and the boss bought pizza and beer.

Temp stayed above freezing and that driveway never saw a snowflake, roads were pretty much the same. It stopped about 1:00 and the sun came out, luckily, because it got quite cold overnight and would have been a huge mess this morning had it not had time to dry up before the cold set in.

All this being said, west of here was a completely different story, and they have to make decisions based upon the whole metropolitan area.
SamirD

KuroNekko wrote:I deliberately took unpaved roads that had less traffic so other drivers would not get me stuck behind them.
The day we got caught in the snow, that's what I wanted--the most untravelled piece of road I could find. Dealing with the snow just takes time and patience. Dealing with dangerous drivers puts your life in their hands.

I was really relieved to get home safe and without a scratch. I know every interstate in our area had a multiple car pile-up and several sections of Interstate were closed.

I'm almost tempted to just get these and be done with worrying:
http://www.americantracktruck.com/index.php?page=subaru
http://www.mattracks.com/models/mattracks/88/
SamirD

sx4rocious wrote:we got 11 inches of snow on Thursday on top of about a tenth of an inch of ice and sleet. I work in a prison 36 miles away. If I'm scheduled to work that night, I better be there of have a good excuse. My SX4 did the trip effortlessly @ 50 MPH.... I love that car!! My wife is afraid to scratch the Kizzy, so it stayed parked in the driveway all day and she took mine.... LOL
People have said it gets like that here too, so we need to get ready. :cry:

If someone hits our Kizashi while being stupid, I'll probably beat the frozen snot out of them.
KuroNekko

SamirD wrote:
KuroNekko wrote:I deliberately took unpaved roads that had less traffic so other drivers would not get me stuck behind them.
The day we got caught in the snow, that's what I wanted--the most untravelled piece of road I could find. Dealing with the snow just takes time and patience. Dealing with dangerous drivers puts your life in their hands.

I was really relieved to get home safe and without a scratch. I know every interstate in our area had a multiple car pile-up and several sections of Interstate were closed.

I'm almost tempted to just get these and be done with worrying:
http://www.americantracktruck.com/index.php?page=subaru
http://www.mattracks.com/models/mattracks/88/
I'm not actually convinced tracks are better. I used to live on a mountain about a mile high and our fire department had half-tracks in their fleet for winter use. I recall them once coming to an accident in one and I asked a fire fighter if they were good in the snow. He shockingly admitted that they were not that good and that he preferred a 4x4 vehicle with chains.

The best traction probably comes from rally-grade snow tires like these:

For street use, mildly studded snow tires:

I personally prefer chains because you can take them off when the roads clear up (usually the case if you live in a region with light snow or focused areas of snow like mountains).
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Moto
Site Admin

OP :facepalm:

Mean while in North Dakota.... temperatures range between 0 and -40 with wind chills around -70F to -100F

School buses run one hour late. (slightly exaggerated but I have been in school buses in the following conditions more than once.)

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]

Toss some extra winter cloths in your car and you'll be fine.

Woodie

SamirD wrote:People have said it gets like that here too, so we need to get ready. :cry:
As long as you (kinda) bring it up SamirD, what the heck is HSV and MKE?