Youtube Video - How to Replace Rear Shock

Post videos and photos of your Kizashi.
honsonwong

HI All, yesterday I found this video in Youtube, I think you may interested in it.

KuroNekko

Great find, but this guy is making a mistake by reusing that bump stopper. It looks like the old design which promotes corrosion and premature failure. It would also explain why he's replacing the old KYB Excel-G shocks which aren't the OE shocks from the factory, meaning this is likely the 3rd rear shock replacement for that Kizashi. If he'd replace the bump stopper along with the shocks, the rear shocks would likely last a lot longer.
Maybe I'll be nice and drop him a hint on youtube about the rear bump stopper.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Ronzuki

DId he really say "put it back in the vice" at the very end of the video?! Clamp a brand new shock's piston shaft in a vice?! Seriously? Hmmm, maybe, that's what caused the KYBs he's taking out to fail. Gotta love YouTube...
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
LPSISRL

Usually there is something, some way on top of the shaft to prevent it from turning when you have to attach or remove a bolt. Is that not the case with the rear shocks? I've not changed mine yet. I should do so soon before the parts become hard to find.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
KuroNekko

LPSISRL wrote:Usually there is something, some way on top of the shaft to prevent it from turning when you have to attach or remove a bolt. Is that not the case with the rear shocks? I've not changed mine yet. I should do so soon before the parts become hard to find.
You're right and the shocks have them. The end of the shaft tapers to have a flat side and it's visible in the video above at 5:20. If you have pliers or a vice grip, you can hold that flat end while using a wrench to loosen the nut. A vice isn't necessary but will likely make the job easier for removal. However, I agree with Ronzuki that the usage of a vice will possibly compromise the new shock.

I recently changed out the rear shocks on a Mazda3 but opted to replace the bump stoppers and the shock mount given the mileage was 120,000. These parts aren't too expensive. I'm going to be doing the front suspension soon and opted to buy an assembled kit. KYB makes struts assembled with a new spring, making the replacement process much easier. I don't have a spring compressor so it was simply the easier route to take, making the job faster too.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)