Autonomous Vehicles NOT Ready for Prime-Time

Non-Suzuki related topics. Anything can go here.
Ronzuki

More cool, untested, software. All to eek out another mile per gallon, maybe...

Statement on Recall of Certain 2018 and 2019 MY Mazda CX-5, Mazda6 and 2019 Mazda3 Vehicles
Powertrain Control Modules Concern

Mazda North American Operations
July 10, 2019
WASHINGTON, DC (July 10, 2019) – Mazda North American Operations has filed a Part 573 notification with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) for a safety defect on certain 2018 and 2019 Model Year CX-5, Mazda6, and 2019 Mazda3 vehicles. Loss of engine power or engine stall without the ability to be restarted can occur while driving, which may increase the risk of a crash. Mazda’s recall number is 3719F

On certain Powertrain Control Modules (PCM), the software controlling the hydraulic valve clearance adjuster may operate improperly when transitioning from cylinder deactivation to full cylinder activation modes. As a result, an intake valve rocker arm may come out of position and make contact with internal engine parts, which may cause an engine misfire, loss of engine power, and/or Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) illumination.

Like how the tone of this attempts down-play the "come out of position and make contact with internal engine parts". Sounds as though they're sugar coating the reality of what will actually transpire. Don't want it, don't need it, didn't ask for it, and yet it's there like all of the other over-complicated, over-priced BS.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Ronzuki

Everyone will soon be getting what they unwittingly asked for (w/o truly understanding the realities of what they 'wanted and had to have')...then, unfortunately as always is the case, decide they don't like it anymore. After 'things' have gone too far and becomes impossible to undo (read freedoms taken away)...

You’re in Good Hands With Elon

By Eric Peters
http://www.ericpetersautos.com
September 6, 2019

Imagine if your insurance company knew about it immediately every time you drove faster than any speed limit, anywhere. That you failed to come to a complete dead stop at every stop sign before proceeding – regardless of the need to come to a complete dead stop.

Every instance of seatbelt scofflawism.

That you drove eight hours straight to visit friends in another state; that last Thursday, you “accelerated aggressively” while trying to merge with traffic. That you turned off the traction control the other day – and squealed the tires.

And here comes the bill, custom-tailored just for you.

This is what Elon Musk has in mind next. The King of Mandated Business is getting into the insurance business – a logical thing since car insurance is the original mandated business that set the precedent for the rest of them. It’s an even better business than the electric car business because everyone has to buy car insurance, if they own a car – even if it’s not an electric car.

But Elon’s got a a new take on the business. Or rather, a new way to take.

He wants to base premiums not on your record – of accidents and claims – but on data about your driving, mined in real-time as you drive. Which, just by happy coincidence, his cars are fully equipped to provide.

Already do provide.

“The data is there,” smacked the lips of Matthew Edmonds – who is Teslian Head of Insurance, Elon’s new Underboss. “It’s all there; cameras in and all around your car; all of the data points are there.”

Elon knows all. He just hasn’t been able to monetize it, yet.

Wait.

“It really comes down to case law and how much of the data we can utilize,” says Underboss Edmonds. Italicized to emphasize the fact that the data acquisition is an already established fact – regardless of “case law.”

So it’s a simple legal matter of getting the laws changed. How difficult will this be, do you suppose?

If it saves even one life . . .

Recently, Tesla owners have been discovering that their cars aren’t just plugged in to wall sockets; they are also plugged in to Elon. The cars are like two-way radios that are always on, with Elon sending “updates”- including “updates” that arbitrarily alter the range of the car, without the “owner’s” consent or even knowledge . . until he looks at the dashboard and discovers that his car now only goes 180 miles on a full charge – maybe – rather than 220 (also maybe) the day before.

Elon could – and has – reduced the range of the cars under his control to zero. So far, temporarily – while an “app” updated. But the point should be taken. Elon has the power to prevent any Tesla owner from driving at all.

For any reason.

Think about this a bit.

What if you offend Elon? Or the Big Tech Panopticon? Can there be any doubt in anyone’s mind that the same electronic oligarchs – and Elon’s one of them – who summarily “de-platform” and “de-monetize” people whose views transgress the orthodoxies of our era will refrain from using the same power to de-wheel people?

Depressingly, it’s not just Teslas.

They are currently the most “connected” cars on the road but not the only “connected” cars on the road. Every new car has some degree of connected tech baked into it.

What do you suppose all the 5G Connectedness being hurriedly erected and Internet of Things is all about?

And it’s not just Elon. All the insurance “families” are wanting the same thing Elon wants. Right now, you can still opt out of being monitored – and dunned as you drive.

How long do you suppose this will last?

Resistance will be futile. Or at least, driving will be. Any driving you might want to do yourself, that is.

Elon claims that real-time data streaming about people’s driving will result in “safe drivers” getting a break on insurance costs. Which they may – at the cost of Universal Cloverism, complete obedience to every traffic law, no matter how absurd.

If it’s illegal, it’s chargeable. In the monetary rather than electric sense.

All cars will drive at the same “safe” – read, slow – pace. Creeping along in formation. The least common denominator will be the measure and applied equally, to all.

For a teeth-aching preview of what it will be like, the next time you go for a drive obey every traffic law to the letter. Accelerate – and brake – “gently.” Pass no one – unless you can manage it without exceeding whatever the posted speed limit is. Stop fully – and wait a three second count – at every stop sign before proceeding, regardless of the absence of other cars in the vicinity.

This will of course encourage people to simply give up driving – and let the Autopilot (programmed by Clovers) take over.

Which is exactly what the long-term goal is: To end driving altogether by making it either an insufferable bore or impossibly expensive, by dunning every instance of “unsafe” (non-Clover) driving.

The pieces are all coming together.

It’s a shame people can’t see it. Or maybe it’s worse. They do see it – and just don’t care anymore.
Ron

KuroNekko

This is really a non-issue if you carefully read the scenario required to have been locked out. You had to have A) not been carrying a keycard/fob, and B) been logged out of the Tesla app at the time. The people who were locked out were people who fell into this specific double-criteria. While indeed inconvenient, these people were relying on entering and driving their cars in a manner beyond what convention car drivers can even arguably accurately comprehend (given how some people think this was a major fault with Tesla's technology). Mind you, these "victims" weren't even carrying their keys around to access their cars which the rest of us can't even relate to because we don't have a choice anyway!

So, yeah, it's inconvenient that the app was down and those not already logged in and also not carrying their keycard/fobs couldn't get into their cars, but hell, its begs the question why they just didn't carry their keys/fobs around like the rest of us driving our far more primitive vehicles. Really, I'm supposed to fault Tesla when some idiot expects their phone app to do everything? You really feel sorry for the chump who walks into a cafe and then cries about how that particular business doesn't take Apple Pay given carrying cash or a bank card in a wallet is too inconvenient for them?
Ronzuki wrote:More cool, untested, software. All to eek out another mile per gallon, maybe...

Statement on Recall of Certain 2018 and 2019 MY Mazda CX-5, Mazda6 and 2019 Mazda3 Vehicles
Powertrain Control Modules Concern

Mazda North American Operations
July 10, 2019
WASHINGTON, DC (July 10, 2019) – Mazda North American Operations has filed a Part 573 notification with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) for a safety defect on certain 2018 and 2019 Model Year CX-5, Mazda6, and 2019 Mazda3 vehicles. Loss of engine power or engine stall without the ability to be restarted can occur while driving, which may increase the risk of a crash. Mazda’s recall number is 3719F

On certain Powertrain Control Modules (PCM), the software controlling the hydraulic valve clearance adjuster may operate improperly when transitioning from cylinder deactivation to full cylinder activation modes. As a result, an intake valve rocker arm may come out of position and make contact with internal engine parts, which may cause an engine misfire, loss of engine power, and/or Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) illumination.

Like how the tone of this attempts down-play the "come out of position and make contact with internal engine parts". Sounds as though they're sugar coating the reality of what will actually transpire. Don't want it, don't need it, didn't ask for it, and yet it's there like all of the other over-complicated, over-priced BS.
That sucks but the technology, in my opinion, is proof that ICE is on the way out. It now requires sophisticated and compromised technology to even remain competitively efficient. Look at it this way: Mazda is a company that has proudly (until very recently) proclaimed their resistance to electrification. They currently don't offer a hybrid, PHEV, or EV and rather continue to improve and refine internal combustion engines. Fine. But they are resorting to technology like cylinder deactivation for a 4 banger? Really? I mean this company now only makes 4 cylinder engines. Maybe it's just me but it seems like a desperate approach to trying to remain competitive when everyone else had the better sense to move towards electrification. Case in point: The Toyota RAV4 Hybrid is more powerful, faster, reliable, and yet considerably more fuel efficient than a Mazda CX-5 all due to electrification. Sure, the Mazda might be better to drive, but the technology in the RAV4 Hybrid is hands-down far superior for efficiency and performance combined.

While some consumers may not want the technology that ekes out efficiency in their vehicles, the broader consumer trend generally does. A huge part of remaining competitive is to make fuel efficient vehicles that offer performance and economy. Given Mazda is so set on resisting the inevitable electric future, what else can you expect than them resorting to rather desperate measures like cylinder deactivation for a 4 banger? Thankfully, they seem to have been slapped awake and scrambling with Toyota to make EVs. Sad to see it took Mazda's rapidly declining sales for them to get in touch with reality. Making good-looking cars that are great to drive doesn't cut it anymore, especially for a brand supposedly trying to go upmarket.

Ronzuki, I apologize that I haven't been as active in these discussion as of the last few months. It's not that I don't like debating technology, automation, Tesla, etc. anymore. It's just that I've been rather busy and preoccupied, especially with work. Interestingly enough, a lot of that has to do with investigating everything from DUIs to Vehicular Manslaughters in terms of cases related to vehicles. While it's great to be cautious and skeptical about technologies and claims made by tech companies and their Messiah-wannabe leaders with their minions and fanbois, if you see what I do on a daily basis, you may just be a little more skeptical about the aptitude, condition, and sense of responsibility of the general person behind the wheel.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Ronzuki

No worries Kuro, same here for me things are a bit slow overall right now so I have the time to read these things and throw items such as this out there for folks to ponder over when deciding what the REALLY think they need in a transportation appliance.

"While some consumers may not want the technology that ekes out efficiency in their vehicles, the broader consumer trend generally does."....UNTIL...they get the repair bills or are no longer able to afford uncomplicated basic transportation....

Let's not forget about the more glaring and problematic aspect of the article that has to do with who has what capabilities with YOUR personal vehicle and what they're doing with said capabilities....If Elon (or anyone else) wants to offer me one of their piles of techno-laden crap to cart my butt around in for FREE, and I take the offer, well then (and only then) will they every right to data-mine me and do what they want w/ their cars.

Also did some research on this Mazda "recall". Just as the industrial world learned long ago, the automotive world is learning they seem to think that they can attempt to fix hardware problems (bad mechanical designs) with software. That rarely works out optimally btw. I know, I've been tasked w/ the feat many times over many years. Sorry to say that rocket arms falling out of place because there are no mechanical retainers designed in to the hardware can't be TRULY solved w/ a software flash. A Band-Aid, at best, in hopes of reducing the number of occurrences (and potential wrecked engines) and placating the lawyers when someone gets killed because of the design failure. This certainly won't be the end of this issue.

Long read, but a good one illustrating just how ridiculous the automotive world has become:

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthr ... d-6-models
Ron

KuroNekko

Oh, I agree that some of these "solutions" to inherent engineering flaws are really band-aid measures that will very likely fail long-term, if work at all. I agree that many companies are over-relying on half-assed technology to get around issues or remain competitive. In the world of automobiles, especially with ICE, I just see compromise over compromise. I see small displacement turbos mated to CVTs as a desperate measure to maximize efficiency while trying to avoid the far-better solution of electrification. At this point, I honestly don't see a point in getting a vehicle that isn't electrified (Hybrid, PHEV, or EV) unless for very specific applications in which only a very few select vehicles would fit the bill. For new cars for general usage, I honestly can't think of a reason why not to get something with an electric motor.

Considering all the compromised features of new ICE vehicles, I'm often reminded why I like my Kizashi with the manual transmission. It's a relatively new car (for creature comforts) with old-school (and proven) technology. I plan to drive it a long time and then completely skip all this CVT, small turbo, cylinder-deactivation, start-stop nonsense and get a vehicle that is driven by electric motors which are rapidly proving themselves to be the superior drivetrain. While I would concede that electrified (especially battery EVs) aren't for everyone right now, they are getting better with more choices by the month. Meanwhile, I'm seeing once-venerable marques in reliability take huge hits with engines and transmissions with problems ranging from oil dilution, burn-off, transmission failure, etc. No thanks.

While I don't personally really desire a Tesla, I'm quite thankful for them in showing the industry that the era of EVs is upon us and that they are rapidly proving to be superior vehicles. Everyone from Toyota to Porsche have taken notice (especially as their customers got themselves Teslas). Enough with hydrogen fuel cell nonsense or crappy CVTs and engines running water-like oil to be as efficient as possible. They all seem like desperate in-betweeners for the inevitable. Some companies like GM and VW have even gone as far as dismissing Hybrids and PHEVs, saying they're committed to battery EVs for electrification this point forward.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Ronzuki

whoopsie (again)...

Guess they forgot to do any kind of ‘what-if’ testing of their automation before releasing for use aye?

https://fox43.com/2019/11/01/general-mo ... ly-engage/
Ron

Ronzuki

"automation surprises" we have a technical term for it taken from the aircraft industry. Be warned of the very eerie similarities...

https://www.bjtonline.com/business-jet-news/on-the-road
Ron

Ronzuki

lol...how freaking predictable was this...

https://apnews.com/d38d6dc3c126baed6d2da3f925dab884

Hellloooo....can anyone say Boeing??
Ron

Ronzuki

Ron

Ronzuki

A response to the above hack article from an automation colleague who is (was) an avid fixed-wing aircraft and helicopter pilot:

Great article. But, of course, I'm not surprised that companies produce products that are never tested. Even the FAA did it by mandating a new radar-free positioning system, based upon GPS. It's vastly flawed and the aircraft's position data is not even encrypted - allowing anyone to build a fake transmitter, with a captured tail number, and transmit fake data, for only $50 worth of parts. But, it was mandatory starting January 1st of this year and they never addressed the security element of it, even though the aviation community had been complaining about this vulnerability for years.

There ya go. The above is merely one of a plethora of reasons he will NEVER board a commercial aircraft. In fact, he's pretty much given up flying all together. Far too much ambiguity in a process as critical as flight. Sold his position in the aircraft he partially owned, dropped insurance, let his medical lapse, the whole 9 yards. It's going to kill him not to fly, but....in his words, likely kill him to remain flying with all of the non-sense going on today. Do we really want/need all of this same automation and utter BS perpetuating on public roads?
Ron