2014 Ford Fusion SE vs. 2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS

Non-Suzuki related topics. Anything can go here.
KuroNekko

So as you may have read, I had an accident recently when some girl scraped my car. Her insurance covered the repairs and paid for a rental car for the two days my car was in the shop. I rented a 2014 Ford Fusion SE from Enterprise.
I decided to do a comparison report on the car given how much press this new Fusion has got recently as it tries to rival stalwarts like the Accord and Camry in the midsize sedan segment.

A little background on the Fusion:
The Fusion was introduced in model year 2006. It was largely a Ford version of the then-new Mazda6 since Ford had a large stake in Mazda back then. Ford got a sweet deal as the chassis, base 4 cylinder engine, and two out of the three transmissions offered in the car were Mazda-designed. Ford sourced the V6 engine that was in both the Ford and Mazda models. The Mercury Milan and Lincoln MKZ were also based on these cars.
The first generation Fusion was a success for Ford as it garnered good reviews and enjoyed one of the best reliability ratings a domestic car has ever seen. Many people did not know however that it was a Mazda in Ford clothing for the most part.
Ford also offered a hybrid model and AWD with the V6 model.
The second generation (current) is a Fusion that is no longer the same car as the Mazda6. The new Mazda6 has its proprietary SkyActiv engine, transmission, and chassis while the Fusion has its new line of EcoBoost engines along with their own chassis and tranny.
However, the Fusion SE carried over the Duratec 2.5 normally-aspirated engine from the first gen car which was based on the Mazda MZR engine found in Mazda3's and Mazda6's.
The car I rented had this engine therefore did not have one of the new Ford EcoBoost turbocharged engines.

While I had the car, I drove it for commuting and for pleasure to really get a feel for the car for a good comparo-report.
Before I get started, here's some info on the car I drove:

2014 Ford Fusion SE.
2.5 liter Duratec inline 4 cylinder engine (175 HP). 6 speed automatic transmission. Fuel economy: 22 City, 34 Hwy. MSRP: $23,855. Made in Mexico.

Versus:

2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS.
2.4 liter inline 4 cylinder engine (185 HP) 6 speed manual transmission. Fuel economy: 20 City, 29 Hwy. MSRP: $22,899. Made in Japan.

Styling
Fusion: The new Fusion has gained a lot of positive attention with its new looks. The car resembles an Aston Martin which is not surprising given Ford hired Aston's designer to design the Fusion (Ford used to own Aston Martin in the recent past). The Fusion has a unique large grill and a rear end which cannot be mistaken for anything else. It also uses LED lighting for the brake lights (which I think should be standard on all cars). Sales have increased quite a bit for this new Fusion and looks are often credited.
Kizashi: The Kizashi is a good looking car, but often criticized for not staying as close to the concept cars shown in car shows before its debut. The end product, especially non-Sport models, were often compared to the Mk.V VW Jetta in looks. While the Kizashi did incorporate unique design cues like the exhaust outlets, its design is not as head-turning or as unique as the new Fusion.
Winner: Fusion

Interior
Fusion: The Fusion's interior is comfortable and appealing. It's well designed with good fit & finish, but the material quality is not up to par with the Kizashi. The seat material was something like neoprene like some soft shell outdoor-brand jacket. The door panels had the same material. However, the styling makes up for it and is accessible and comfortable. Color LCD displays in both the instrument panel and dash made it feel hi-tech despite being a SE trim with no special package. Rear leg room was decent, but not that much better than the Kizashi. Trunk space, however, was noticeably larger.
Kizashi: The Kizashi's interior is clean and simple, but the use of high quality materials makes it stand out. The plastic material and cloth quality sets it apart from rivals. Fit & finish and button/knob feel is great. However, the overall interior design is rather conventional. It also feels cramped compared to the Fusion. While some complain about the tight rear legroom, the Fusion was not that much better at my seat position. Also, the Kizashi has more comfortable rear seat cushions. The Kizashi's trunk is noticeably smaller, however. Despite its conventional looks and tighter feel, the Kizashi is still comfortable and has the quality to last.
Winner: Tie. They both have pros and cons that weigh each other out.

Noise Isolaton
Fusion: A very quiet car. Isolated road noise very well. The moonroof also buffeted noise better than the Kizashi when open.
Kizashi: While quite quiet, it's not nearly as quiet as the Fusion. Moonroof also creates more noise when open than the Fusion.
Winner: Fusion

Comfort
Fusion: The Fusion is a very very comfortable car. In fact, comfort is its best quality. Both the suspension and seats just create a very comfortable riding experience. The suspension smooths out rough patches and imperfections of the road surprisingly well. The seats are supportive and comfortable despite not looking large and overly-padded.
Kizashi The Kizashi has a good balance of comfort and handling which is something many automakers struggle with. However, my GTS is not as comfortable as the Fusion. You both feel and hear the rough roads more in the Kizashi compared to the Fusion. While the Kizashi's seats are comfortable, the Fusion's suspension and seats work together to create a significant lead over the Kizashi in comfort.
Winner: Fusion. By quite a bit.

Okay... you may all be thinking I'm some traitor Ford-fanboy. Just keep reading...

Audio
Fusion: The SE came with a 6 speaker stereo via a small color screen in the dash that did not have Navigation. It had satellite radio (which reminded me why I don't need that crap). While the sound was good, it was a downgrade from what I was used to. In fact, a very noticeable downgrade, but I got used to it after a while. Overall, not bad. Sound was crisp and clear and the color display was a good touch although a bit confusing to use at times. It somehow set input from my USB media to Line-in media and I had to stop the car and go through sub-menus to switch it back since it was neither easy nor intuitive to set back.
Kizashi: My GTS does not have nav so I have the normal, white text-line display. However, it pumps out music through a 425 watt, 10 speaker system. The Rockford Fosgate Punch subwoofer figuratively sucker-punches the Ford's inferior sound system. It delivers bass you feel, not only hear.
With the Kizashi's high-end stereo being offered in a car cheaper than the Ford with the base stereo, the winner is obvious.
Winner: Kizashi

Technology
Fusion: Newer Fords are known to be rather hi-tech over their rivals. Cars like the Fiesta and Focus are said to be better tech-wise than cars like the Mazda2 and Mazda3. The Fusion was rather good on tech. Dual color displays in a low-trim model without navigation was impressive. It had Bluetooth, USB, line-in, CD, and Satellite radio. The car also featured LED lights used wisely like with the brake lights and even the door lock indicators (not talking about the door lock or window buttons).
Kizashi: While not as fancy as the Ford in some aspects, it's more convenient in others. Best example is the key. The Ford's key is a remote-key with a flip-out ignition key. The Kizashi's is a fob that allows push button start. This makes it super-convenient as one does not need to even remove their key from their pocket or purse to drive the car.
Winner: Tie. Both cars have slightly different tech but balance each other out.

Handling
Fusion: The handling is decent in everyday commuting and feels fine. When pushed, a different story. The car gets sloppy and there is noticeable understeer. The suspension wobbles over bumps in corners taken hard to a point of alarm. It simply does not drive like a sports sedan when pushed. It does not like to be pushed and it tells you that.
Kizashi: The Kizashi's chief engineer stated that handling was the #1 priority of the car. He was not just saying that. The Kizashi trashes the Fusion in handling. It stays glued to the road unlike any midsize I've ever driven. The Fusion does not come close. Oh, and I'm basing this on pre-RRM rear sway bar driving dynamics.
Winner: Kizashi. By a large margin. (There, happy? :lol:)

Brakes
Fusion: Quiet and confident. In fact, I had to really count on them for an emergency braking situation when a deer appeared on the road while at high speed. Car stopped in adequate time and distance.
Kizashi: Great brakes as we all know. Stops faster than many rivals in its class and has primo-brand pads (Akebono) as standard OE equipment.
Winner: Tie based on my experience.

Fuel Economy
Fusion: EPA estimates are 22 City and 34 Highway.
Kizashi: EPA estimates are 20 City and 29 Highway.
Winner: Fusion. (I simply did not have the car long enough to calculate fuel economy myself so default to EPA stats.)

Engine Performance
Fusion: 2.5 liter, inline 4 rated at 175 horsepower. While quiet, it was sluggish. The engine had to be pushed to 4,000 rpm to generate usable power. Maybe blame the automatic transmission. Regardless, not really a stellar performer in terms of power.
Kizashi: 2.4 liter, inline 4 rated at 185 horsepower (for manual trans models). Smaller engine yet 10 more horses. Revs way faster and creates power you can enjoy sooner. Maybe it's the benefit of the man trans. Regardless, the Suzuki's J24B engine offers better performance in my comparison. Between power versus fuel economy, I will take the engine that doesn't feel sluggish and pay for the difference.

Transmission
Fusion: 6 speed auto with thumb-activated shifter manual shift mode. The manual shift mode, like all cars with this feature, is trash compared to a real stick. Maybe paddle shifters are better. However, you aren't going to convince any 3-pedalist that it's better or faster unless the auto transmission has dual clutches (like found in the Mitsu LanEvo MR which actually has a faster track time than the manual trans GR version due to the faster shift times.) Otherwise, the Fusion's auto is smooth, but sluggish off the line.
Kizashi: 6 speed manual. 3 pedals. Row your own gears like a Communist. Miserable in traffic, but a delight in spirited driving.
Winner: Not really applicable to comparison though I prefer man trans.

Value
Fusion: A good car for a good price. Lots of features and a product that finally makes Ford very competitive in the midsize segment. However, this Fusion SE (2nd lowest trim) costs more than the Kizashi Sport GTS (2nd highest trim).
Kizashi: A cheaper car that offers more for the money overall. Euro car refinement and safety, Japanese car reliability/durability, with Korean car pricing. Does it get better than this?

Overall
The new Fusion is a very impressive car. It grew on me and part of me was sad to part with it even after 2 days. I would recommend this car to a friend who wanted a good car, but not really concerned with driving dynamics. Ford (and other domestics) have done very well in the recent years to compete with import brands in family sedans. The Fusion has garnered a lot of positive reviews and press and I can see why. It deserves it and I hope Ford sells many of them for creating a fine vehicle representing American cars coming back front and center.
However, it's not close to a Sports Sedan or even trying to be. It's more of a cruiser. Quiet and comfortable, it's at home on the highway or suburban road. It's not that fun in the twisty roads where cars like the Kizashi shine. The Kizashi may not be as comfortable or as fancy-looking, but it's simply grin-inducing in the way it handles. Quite remarkable for a FWD-based car. The Kizashi really does feel like a budget sports sedan as it was intended. Drive competitors like the Fusion if you have any doubts.
I'm glad to have my Kizashi back and driving the Fusion made me realize how much of a unique car the Kizashi really is. No wonder why I waste so much time on this site talking about it.

Below are photos of the very Ford Fusion I had. Despite looking black, it had a beautiful dark green metallic paint.
Attachments
The look that turns heads.
The look that turns heads.
002.JPG (381.82 KiB) Viewed 7434 times
Aston's grill
Aston's grill
001.JPG (298.48 KiB) Viewed 7434 times
Side view. Wheels could have been better.
Side view. Wheels could have been better.
003.JPG (518.21 KiB) Viewed 7434 times
Unique rear with LED lights.
Unique rear with LED lights.
004.JPG (456.35 KiB) Viewed 7434 times
Seats that look iffy, but were very comfortable.
Seats that look iffy, but were very comfortable.
026.JPG (350.81 KiB) Viewed 7434 times
Instrument panel was impressive.
Instrument panel was impressive.
024.JPG (291.3 KiB) Viewed 7434 times
Console design and feel was awesome.
Console design and feel was awesome.
027.JPG (190.76 KiB) Viewed 7434 times
Makes for a handsome interior.
Makes for a handsome interior.
022.JPG (214.01 KiB) Viewed 7434 times
A bit more legroom than the Kizashi however, rear seat cushions are not as comfortable as the Kizashi's.
A bit more legroom than the Kizashi however, rear seat cushions are not as comfortable as the Kizashi's.
021.JPG (314.32 KiB) Viewed 7434 times
Trunk was bigger than the Kizashi's.
Trunk was bigger than the Kizashi's.
020.JPG (338.55 KiB) Viewed 7434 times
The Fusion's engine. Nearly identical to the MZR engine layout I had in my former Mazda3. Hmm, I wonder why...
The Fusion's engine. Nearly identical to the MZR engine layout I had in my former Mazda3. Hmm, I wonder why...
033.JPG (363.94 KiB) Viewed 7434 times
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
honsonwong

Thanks for your input and deep analysis. It gives me a clear picture now.
murcod

I like the look of that a lot (apart from the seats.)

We don't get them here in Australia, but we do get the Mondeo- which is significantly larger than the Kizashi.

Are there any "sportier" models as it sounds like it has potential?
David
murcod

Google to the rescue- http://www.ford.com/cars/fusion/2013/sp ... ns/engine/

The 2.0l turbo would be the go with 240hp and AWD!
David
KuroNekko

My understanding is that the Mondeo is the Fusion outside of North America. I know they are in Europe and Asia.
This Fusion was bigger than the Kizashi which made me see how the Kizashi is really like a compact midsize. In fact, I've read that its dimensions actually qualify it for a compact car in the US. I don't consider the Kizashi a compact because Suzuki offered the SX4 which is the real compact. The Kizashi to me is like a small midsize.

And yes, the Fusion is offered with more potent engines and also AWD. They even have hybrid and plug-in hybrid versions which are critically acclaimed.
They also offer a manual transmission, but with only FWD and a 1.6 liter turbo.

The first gen was offered with a V6, but like many other automakers, they are phasing out V6's in favor of turbo 4's which deliver the same power, but with better fuel economy.

While it's clear that the Fusion is available with a lot more power, I really wonder if the upscale versions improve the handling. The handling was its weakest point, especially against the Kizashi.
murcod

Did a bit of googling- we still get the "old" shape Mondeo here, with no manual transmission or AWD. Best engine is 149kW.

The hatch (we only get hatch or wagon) is 4778mm long vs the Kizashi sedan at 4650mm - so around 13cm difference in length. I actually thought the difference would have been more.
David
Ronzuki

Nice right-up, back ground info and compare. However, this was all I needed to see 2014 Ford Fusion SE 2.5 liter Duratec inline 4 cylinder engine (175 HP). 6 speed automatic transmission. Fuel economy: 22 City, 34 Hwy. MSRP: $23,855. Made in Mexico.

pass...
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
KuroNekko

Ronzuki wrote:Nice right-up, back ground info and compare. However, this was all I needed to see 2014 Ford Fusion SE 2.5 liter Duratec inline 4 cylinder engine (175 HP). 6 speed automatic transmission. Fuel economy: 22 City, 34 Hwy. MSRP: $23,855. Made in Mexico.

pass...
Yeah, all Fusions from 2006 to 2012 (previous generation) were made in Mexico. I think this current one is also made in the US, but probably for the higher trims with the EcoBoost engines.
I know that Ford is making the Lincoln MKZ in the US to meet demands too (first gen only made in Mexico).
I could tell this car was made in Mexico because the VIN started with a 3.
My understanding is that the first letter or number of a VIN represents final assembly country:
1 = USA
2 = Canada
3 = Mexico
4 = USA
5 = USA
J = Japan
K = Korea
W = Germany
etc.
Ronzuki

I had once ordered a Dodge Quad Cab 1500. Turns out, unknown to me, it was made in Saltillo Mexico. I go to pick it up and the bed is on the frame crooked. Saw it as soon as we drove on to the lot, at night mind you. Turned around and left (there was my sign, and me like an idiot bought the POS anyway). Too many cervezas eh Billy? No thanks, NAFTA ain't workin' for me.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
twoqttsdad

I guess it's me but I find the interior of many new cars over engineered.

Almost like the dash layout design was assigned by three or four different design teams and put together at the end. Many shapes, colors, buttons, knobs, and textures. Just doesn't flow together like the Kizashi's.
2012 SLS
Azure Grey
FWD CVT