LED head light conversion kit discussion

Non-Suzuki related topics. Anything can go here.
KuroNekko

Going off topic again to the topic of LED flashlights:

I find that the Defiant brand of flashlights from Home Depot are quite good for the money. They are cheap and perform well so they are high value.
However, if you want a more durable flashlight for something like EDC (Every Day Carry) or a high performance flashlight, check out Fenix.
They offer very high quality flashlights for decent money (comparatively). They are at the quality and performance level of Surefire. I own a Surefire so I'd know (Surefires are made in the USA flashlights that SWAT teams, Navy Seals, etc. use). However, Surefires cost quite a bit of money are more focused on tactical use. Fenix offers a wider range of products ranging from tactical to EDC.

I own a TK15 and an E11. Both have excellent quality and performance and run on rechargeable batteries.

http://www.fenixlight.com/Index.aspx
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
bootymac

KuroNekko wrote:I ordered them. Here it goes again with removing the bumper, the headlights, and the bulbs. :roll:
Sweet! Looking forward to the results
KuroNekko

The kit arrived. Shipping was rather fast for a cross-country shipment through the snow. Bravo, USPS.

The kit is high quality. It's well constructed and the bulb is aluminum. It looks and feels sturdy. The driver (the thing that looks like a HID ballast) is much smaller than I thought it would be. The photos on the VLEDS page don't really show it to scale so I photographed my Kizashi fob as a reference object. The drivers are actually shorter than the fob in length. This makes me think they will fit entirely in the headlight behind the multi-reflector so I can seal the cap. Sealing the cap is not optimal for heat dissipation issues, but these won't be used as low beams. They will be running as DRLs in low wattage most of the time with infrequent high beam usage. Heat should not be an issue.

My research on VLEDS seems to show they actually design and engineer the products themselves. I don't see identical products sold elsewhere. Also, their Facebook fan page shows samples of prototypes they are developing. They claim a 4 LED headlight bulb kit with nearly 3000 lumens of output is in the works. Pretty cool as this would be a realistic performance alternative to HID systems.

I have Monday off for President's Day so I think I will be installing these by the end of the long weekend. I'm going to have to make a trip to the work garage in DC to get these installed as I don't have a garage at home and it's snowing a bit.
I'm so over winter.

I will post pictures and write a review here once they are in and working since I know others are interested.

019.JPG
019.JPG (319.62 KiB) Viewed 12771 times
020.JPG
020.JPG (321.65 KiB) Viewed 12771 times
krell

If the H11 version will work in the fogs damn sure will get it.. do you think it will work in the fogs?
Open your eyes, look within. Are you satisfied with the life you're living?
SamirD

KuroNekko wrote:I ordered them. Here it goes again with removing the bumper, the headlights, and the bulbs. :roll:
KuroNekko wrote:I will post photos and a review in case anyone else is interested.
I can't wait to see your writeup and review! The pictures are what I'm really anticipating--seeing solid white in the housing will really elevate the look for sure.
KuroNekko

krell wrote:If the H11 version will work in the fogs damn sure will get it.. do you think it will work in the fogs?
Yes, in fact, they should be excellent as fog lights. You can even get a cheaper set since fog lights aren't as necessary as low or high beams in casting light very far.
I got this VLEDS kit because it has the highest lumens rating I could find (2000).

Our fog lights are multi-reflectors so they should work better with the LED bulb's design than HID bulbs. The way they distribute light is different.

SamirD wrote:I can't wait to see your writeup and review! The pictures are what I'm really anticipating--seeing solid white in the housing will really elevate the look for sure.
I won't do a full write-up because the installation would be very similar to HIDs which I already did. I will focus more on performance and usability in my review.
krell

Those fans are what ever they are has me worried with the fogs they gonna be close to the road surface nothing to protect them from rain or snow.
SamirD

krell wrote:Those fans are what ever they are has me worried with the fogs they gonna be close to the road surface nothing to protect them from rain or snow.
If the rear of the fog housings will allow a lot of airflow past the rear of the 'bulbs', then I don't think you'd even need the fans since the amount of air passing by them when the car is moving will be much more than what those little fans will do.
krell

So right
krell

I'll pass on this for the fogs they got a mix review over at VLED.