LED head light conversion kit discussion

Non-Suzuki related topics. Anything can go here.
KuroNekko

krell wrote:Those fans are what ever they are has me worried with the fogs they gonna be close to the road surface nothing to protect them from rain or snow.
The fans will be fine. The fog lights are covered by the bumper's undercover. They are not directly accessible from under the car so water and snow can't get up there easily. Refer to my write up here: http://www.kizashiclub.com/forum/viewto ... =32&t=2329

Also, where did you see the mixed reviews? For the entire line up of the CXA 5K fog light kits, there were only 3 reviews that I saw. One guy was complaining about the bulb not fitting his fog lights because of the glare shield in his Mazda but the Kizashi does not have one. The other guy complained that the output was not great but he was using a projector lens. We have the more LED-friendly multi-reflector lens for fog lights. These reviews are heavily based on individual application. I'd be more concerned about component failure and warranty service issues.

Remember, it apparently works like this:
LEDs in multi-reflector housing = good.
LEDs in projector housing = bad.
HIDs in multi-reflector housing = bad.
HIDs in projector housing = good.
The exceptions to these are factory components that were designed specifically for the application and not mere drop-ins like these LED and HID kits.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
krell

Kuro.. you sharp... read the review on VLED.
Open your eyes, look within. Are you satisfied with the life you're living?
KuroNekko

Alright. Installed and tested them. I actually decided to do a write-up given the unique aspects of LED conversion kits and their installation. Find the write-up in the DIY Sticky section (called DIY Sicky, LOL) when I'm done. I'll post here again when it's done.
bootymac

KuroNekko wrote:Alright. Installed and tested them. I actually decided to do a write-up given the unique aspects of LED conversion kits and their installation. Find the write-up in the DIY Sticky section (called DIY Sicky, LOL) when I'm done. I'll post here again when it's done.
Don't tease us!
~tc~

I don't see it ... At least tell us about the beam pattern and brightness. Do they actually "dim" for DRL, or are they full blast all the time?
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
KuroNekko

Jabele

This is seemingly an old thread, but I'll add my two cents.

I find that products designed by a company like Philips and manufactured in China under Philips' supervision can be higher quality than products designed in China to be as inexpensive as possible and that are either sold to individuals on sites like Alibaba or to Western companies that relabel them with their own brand.

Five years ago, I installed Philips LED daytime running lights (DRL's) that were more expensive than DRL's sold on Alibaba or obviously relabeled by a Western company. These DRL's are on whenever I drive and continue to work without their LED's failing as seems to happen frequently with lower quality LED lights. Maybe I've just been lucky, or maybe paying a bit more for Philips DRL's was a smart move.

However, the Philips headlight bulbs referenced are H4 bulbs with both high and low beam LED's in a single bulb whereas the i3's high beam headlights need only high beam LED's. So one is paying for probably twice as many LED's as required and may be getting a bulb that doesn't work as well with a reflector and lens designed for a bulb with only a high beam light source.

While some of the Philips LED headlight bulbs are described as being optimized for reflectors and lenses designed for tungsten filament bulbs, it's just not possible for a LED bulb to emit its light from as tiny a volume as a tungsten filament bulb, so the light pattern produced by retrofitted LED bulbs will almost certainly be inferior to that produced by a tungsten filament bulb. The LED light color will be hotter (i.e., whiter) and the LED light intensity might be greater, but the light might not be projected where it should be. In many countries, LED retrofits are not legal because of this.
SamirD

Some good info on the Phillips kits. :)

Thanks to the parts link in another thread there's exploded diagrams and part numbers of the Kizashi's factory HID headlights. These do seem like they could be a bolt on solution to the US cars with halogens, but I haven't completed my research yet. And as the price comes down, I think this solution may rival a retrofit kit.
satya31

Excellent thread..!!!
Last edited by SamirD on Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed spam link