so what did YOU listen to today?

Non-Suzuki related topics. Anything can go here.
sx4rocious

KuroNekko wrote:Yay, a metal head! \m/

I listen to metal and rock, but mostly industrial these days. I like metal and I like electronic so industrial is like their cyber-Goth love child. A lot of industrial music sub-genres like EBM, Aggrotech, electronicore is bass heavy so the Kizashi's RF system is simply delightful. It's how I cope with DC traffic.
I'm also starting to listen to some Japanese bands as some are pretty good.
I also use the new Apple iTunes radio via my iPhone. It works well with the Kizashi's Bluetooth audio.
Yeah Definately!! I was stuck on In This Moment all the way to work today. Metal with a female lead screamer/singer. I didn't think I would like it, but I do. Also have recently gotten into Jesus on Extacy. If you like industrial metal, you should check them out!!
sx4rocious

coref1 wrote:Black Label Society & Clutch.
I have a friend that has sat in on a couple Clutch recording sessions. He plays some leads for them on a couple songs. Clutch is awesome too!!
sx4rocious

SamirD wrote:

I listen to metal and rock, but mostly industrial these days. I like metal and I like electronic so industrial is like their cyber-Goth love child. A lot of industrial music sub-genres like EBM, Aggrotech, electronicore is bass heavy so the Kizashi's RF system is simply delightful. It's how I cope with DC traffic.
I also use the new Apple iTunes radio via my iPhone. It works well with the Kizashi's Bluetooth audio.
Dream Theater? I grew up on their early albums--Images and Words and Awake. 8-)
I was actually a card-carrying member of the DT fan club!! As a Drummer myself, I grew up idolizing Mike Portnoy. DT is OK now that Mike left the band and was replaced with Mike Magnini, but they won't ever be the same since Portnoy produced and wrote a majority of thier music. Portnoy's new band Winery Dogs (with members of Styxx and Poison) is awesome tho if you're into more blues-y rock. He also played in Adrenaline Mob if you like more aggressive metal, Liquid Tension Expirament if you're into the prog-rock stuff, and Transatlantic if you like jazz inspired instumental rock. He is just about to release another album with Flying colors too which should be awesome!!
SamirD

sx4rocious wrote:
SamirD wrote:

Dream Theater? I grew up on their early albums--Images and Words and Awake. 8-)
I was actually a card-carrying member of the DT fan club!! As a Drummer myself, I grew up idolizing Mike Portnoy. DT is OK now that Mike left the band and was replaced with Mike Magnini, but they won't ever be the same since Portnoy produced and wrote a majority of thier music. Portnoy's new band Winery Dogs (with members of Styxx and Poison) is awesome tho if you're into more blues-y rock. He also played in Adrenaline Mob if you like more aggressive metal, Liquid Tension Expirament if you're into the prog-rock stuff, and Transatlantic if you like jazz inspired instumental rock. He is just about to release another album with Flying colors too which should be awesome!!
Small world! I've been inspired to drum because of Portnoy and a friend of mine was lucky enough to go to a instructional session he held in Huntsville many, many years back. He recorded the whole thing on audio too. God, I wish I got a copy of that tape. :(

I have a very beginner Yamaha digital drum set and quickly outgrew it. I actually sourced a complete Roland top -of-the line setup from a guy in Nashville who owned a recording studio, but I never could find the time for him and I to connect. He originally bought the set for his son, but his son didn't take an interest. That would have been the last drum kit for me!

The hardest thing for me has been finding a good kick pedal. It's like I'm always fighting it to get it to do what I want. I've sat on a handful of other people's kits that had the 'right' pedal setup for me and it was like night and day. I could do doubles without much effort at much higher speed and accuracy. To be able to drum some Portnoy Dream Theater is one of the things I'd like to do in this life before I leave this Earth. 8-)
sx4rocious

SamirD wrote:The hardest thing for me has been finding a good kick pedal. It's like I'm always fighting it to get it to do what I want. I've sat on a handful of other people's kits that had the 'right' pedal setup for me and it was like night and day. I could do doubles without much effort at much higher speed and accuracy. To be able to drum some Portnoy Dream Theater is one of the things I'd like to do in this life before I leave this Earth. 8-)
Me too!! I haven't played much in the last ten or so years, but as a teenager in the 90's, that was the only thing I ever saw myself doing. I started a semi-successful garage band back in 1996 with some friends and produced some pretty cool original stuff. I think we could have really gone somewhere had we... ummm... not gotten... well... in trouble? :oops: :oops:

As for a good pedal set up, I have used pedals from Tama, Yamaha, Ludwig, DW, and even one I built myself. I liked the DW as a double pedal, but I used the beater from the Tama for less rebound. The Tama was good as a whole when I got it adjusted right, but the ULTIMATE pedal was a single 1964 Ludwig Speed King Delux I got with the first kit I ever owned. That pedal had such a great feel and rebound that I played alot of my double bass fills with a single pedal. I have seen that they actually reproduced that exact pedal, so if you can find one, give it a shot! I know it will be first on my list if I really start playing again.
sx4rocious

also SamirD, if you really want to check out some other AMAZING drummers, look up Terry Bozzio (soloist), Chris Penne (of Coheed and Cambria and The Dillenger Escape Plan), And Virgil Donatti (of Spock's Beard) on youtube. Any of those guys will totally change the way you look at drums.
SamirD

sx4rocious wrote:
SamirD wrote:The hardest thing for me has been finding a good kick pedal. It's like I'm always fighting it to get it to do what I want. I've sat on a handful of other people's kits that had the 'right' pedal setup for me and it was like night and day. I could do doubles without much effort at much higher speed and accuracy. To be able to drum some Portnoy Dream Theater is one of the things I'd like to do in this life before I leave this Earth. 8-)
Me too!! I haven't played much in the last ten or so years, but as a teenager in the 90's, that was the only thing I ever saw myself doing. I started a semi-successful garage band back in 1996 with some friends and produced some pretty cool original stuff. I think we could have really gone somewhere had we... ummm... not gotten... well... in trouble? :oops: :oops:

As for a good pedal set up, I have used pedals from Tama, Yamaha, Ludwig, DW, and even one I built myself. I liked the DW as a double pedal, but I used the beater from the Tama for less rebound. The Tama was good as a whole when I got it adjusted right, but the ULTIMATE pedal was a single 1964 Ludwig Speed King Delux I got with the first kit I ever owned. That pedal had such a great feel and rebound that I played alot of my double bass fills with a single pedal. I have seen that they actually reproduced that exact pedal, so if you can find one, give it a shot! I know it will be first on my list if I really start playing again.
sx4rocious wrote:also SamirD, if you really want to check out some other AMAZING drummers, look up Terry Bozzio (soloist), Chris Penne (of Coheed and Cambria and The Dillenger Escape Plan), And Virgil Donatti (of Spock's Beard) on youtube. Any of those guys will totally change the way you look at drums.
Thank you so much for the pedal and drummer recommendations! I was just thinking about my digital kit I have back in HSV and how it wouldn't be bad to have that here in MKE as 'exercise equipment'. :mrgreen: I'll definitely have to check out some youtubes of those guys drumming. I found out a week ago that Dream Theater is coming to MKE in April. :D But I need to catch up on about 5 albums. :lol: There's not point in going to a concert unless you're front row singing all the words! 8-)