CVT / Fuel economy discussion

Non-Suzuki related topics. Anything can go here.
~tc~

The problem isn't the theory it's the execution.

CVT is banned from Formula 1 for a reason - it's a better way to get power out of an internal combustion engine.
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
Woodie

In theory it's a good idea, but no one has figured out how to do it without an automatic kind of transmission configuration, and they're all miserable in terms of efficiency and reliability.

It was banned from Formula One as much because of the sound as anything else. Just imagine twenty unmuffled engines going around at a constant 18,000 rpm drone. A lot of things are banned to reduce cost too, especially when the richest team comes up with it and the poor guys cry that it's unfair and they're going to need a year to duplicate it, which was the case with CVT. No one knows if it was really going to be any quicker.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
SamirD

kevvvinc wrote:Okay, Dorji from their customer service said he spoke to a tech and based on the information that I have given them, they said to continue driving the Kizashi till my service appointment on the 16th.
I asked for him to email me a statement stating what he said as proof to protect me.
Fingers crossed. Will report back in if anything happens before my service appointment. Cheers.
Wow. Just wow. It's their dime, I guess. But if not, I don't know how that letter will help if they refuse service and you have to get an attorney.
SamirD

Woodie wrote:Just imagine twenty unmuffled engines going around at a constant 18,000 rpm drone.
YEEEESSSSS! That would sound awesome! :drive: :D
~tc~

Woodie wrote: A lot of things are banned to reduce cost too, especially when the richest team comes up with it and the poor guys cry that it's unfair and they're going to need a year to duplicate it, which was the case with CVT. No one knows if it was really going to be any quicker.
F1 teams don't spend millions of Euro on a transmission if they don't have a REAALLLLY good idea it's going to make the car faster.

The simple fact is that CVT IS the right way. Internal combustion engines like to run at a certain RPM, the changing of RPM to adjust speed is wasteful. Adjusting the transmission ratio to adjust the speed and allow the engine to run at a constant RPM will generate both the best power and efficiency
SamirD

~tc~ wrote:The simple fact is that CVT IS the right way. Internal combustion engines like to run at a certain RPM, the changing of RPM to adjust speed is wasteful. Adjusting the transmission ratio to adjust the speed and allow the engine to run at a constant RPM will generate both the best power and efficiency
But then why does a regular automatic from a 1993-1997 Nissan Altima with a similar 2.4L DOHC engine to our Kizashi with slightly less power get the same gas mileage? I actually expected to be hovering around the mid to high 20s in the city, and that's not the case. I know I can get 20+ all day long with the Altima.
Stodge

SamirD wrote:
~tc~ wrote:The simple fact is that CVT IS the right way. Internal combustion engines like to run at a certain RPM, the changing of RPM to adjust speed is wasteful. Adjusting the transmission ratio to adjust the speed and allow the engine to run at a constant RPM will generate both the best power and efficiency
But then why does a regular automatic from a 1993-1997 Nissan Altima with a similar 2.4L DOHC engine to our Kizashi with slightly less power get the same gas mileage? I actually expected to be hovering around the mid to high 20s in the city, and that's not the case. I know I can get 20+ all day long with the Altima.
Weight?
SamirD

Stodge wrote:Weight?
Almost the exact same--4400 gvwr. In fact, I think the Altima was a bit heavier, almost to 4500.
~tc~

Probably just your data collection and analysis.

I have offered on every car/truck forum I have participated on to do a proper statistical analysis and not a single person has taken me up on it.

You need to track 10 tanks at least on each car in normal driving - a random mix of city/highway. Not exactly the same route every tank, but at the same time nothing too special either (like an all highway road trip)
SamirD

~tc~ wrote:Probably just your data collection and analysis.

I have offered on every car/truck forum I have participated on to do a proper statistical analysis and not a single person has taken me up on it.

You need to track 10 tanks at least on each car in normal driving - a random mix of city/highway. Not exactly the same route every tank, but at the same time nothing too special either (like an all highway road trip)
I might just be able to do this since I'm thinking of bringing an Altima here. Then I could alternate driving each car to wherever we are going, which 90% of is work (fairly similar route).

I could fill up each at precisely a particular mileage, like 200 miles to know, exactly how much fuel was used. That should get good mpg data.

10 tanks would be a couple of months of data. Do you think temperature would make that big a difference? It will change over the next few months.

The only factor that the Altima won't have going for it is that something is wrong with first gear of the tranny. I suspect the torque converter is damaged, and that will affect fuel economy.