2014 Washington DC Auto Show starts today

Non-Suzuki related topics. Anything can go here.
~tc~

I disagree about Audi ... Their naming makes sense to me - an A8 is bigger than a A4, the S8 is the sport version (which is more than just a trim package), the RS8 is the REALLY sport version

I also like names better. My other hobby is watches and some brands only refer by model numbers - hate it!

Posted from tapatalk
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
KuroNekko

~tc~ wrote:I disagree about Audi ... Their naming makes sense to me - an A8 is bigger than a A4, the S8 is the sport version (which is more than just a trim package), the RS8 is the REALLY sport version

I also like names better. My other hobby is watches and some brands only refer by model numbers - hate it!

Posted from tapatalk
Yeah, Audi's system is different, but it requires memorization especially when it comes to engines offered in the car. Infiniti is copying the naming system which is not surprising given a former Audi exec is now at Infiniti.

Back when I was younger and not yet a car enthusiast, I could not really tell my German cars apart because it required so much memorization to know what they were called. Yet, I could point out a Camry or Mustang easily. It's the same with people who aren't into cars. They have no idea what kind of Mercedes it is on the road, but can easily tell you that a car was an Accord, RAV4, or Jetta.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
sx4rocious

agree with you most of the time on your commentary. Were you surprised with the Versa Note? I know I keep bringing this car up, but I have to say, I really think it's one of the best cars out there in that price point and category. I still haven't driven one though...

I say the new Caddy out and about this weekend, and I really agree with you on this car. I never thought I would like a domestic better than the German rivals, but wow!! I think they may have gotten it right with this car! Still not quite figured out the new Impala yet, though. The car looks great from the front, back, and interior, but I really don't like all the extra lines they gave the body. The hood definately gives it a muscular look much akin to the 60's Impalas. The new Corvette is a win!! don't much care for the chrome wheels on the white one though, but it is a matter of taste.

I'm starting to like the new Mazda design. The wierd dash radio control pod thingy is even starting to grow on me. I can see it being nice from a utilitarian standpoint, but it still bears an "afterthought-ish" asthetic look... I agree with you on the look and feel of the steering wheel and instrument cluster though.

I used to be a HUGE Beemer buy. I owned a somewhat rare 1985 535iS that was my pride and joy for a number of years. Full sized 5MT with the M5 suspension package. I really think this car was not only the fastest car I've owned, but also the most fun to drive. The engine finally gave out somewhere around the 185K to 200K mark. (the odo stopped working LONG before the engine). I also think this was the last good Beemer made outside the M series. the 2 and 4 you posted look good, but there needs to be more to the car than looks to justify the near $35K asking price for an entry level 1 series (around here anyway...) You can get a rather well equipped turbo Regal, Caddy, or several other good mid sized sport sedans for that.
sx4rocious

Also, I hear a rumor that Mazda and Mitsubishi are looking at pulling out of the US market much the way Suzuki did. Mitsu hasn't launched a new (or remotely exciting) car for some time other than the new Mirage (YUCK!!!), so I can see some truth to the rumors for them. Mazda on the other hand, have launched some pretty nice new designs recently. Is this a last ditch effort to make something happen, or is the rumor completely false?

Regardless, I do think Mitsubishi is on it's way out. I give it 3 to 5 years. The Outlander Sport is about the only good looking car they make IMHO, and I've heard they are terrible! The plant in Bloomington Illinois is almost a ghost town now even though I believe they've committed to building the iMiev atrocity there? I may be completely wrong, but I won't miss Mitsubishi at all. Mazda, however, I certainly hope expiriences a resurgence with thier new designs!!
KuroNekko

sx4rocious wrote:Also, I hear a rumor that Mazda and Mitsubishi are looking at pulling out of the US market much the way Suzuki did. Mitsu hasn't launched a new (or remotely exciting) car for some time other than the new Mirage (YUCK!!!), so I can see some truth to the rumors for them. Mazda on the other hand, have launched some pretty nice new designs recently. Is this a last ditch effort to make something happen, or is the rumor completely false?

Regardless, I do think Mitsubishi is on it's way out. I give it 3 to 5 years. The Outlander Sport is about the only good looking car they make IMHO, and I've heard they are terrible! The plant in Bloomington Illinois is almost a ghost town now even though I believe they've committed to building the iMiev atrocity there? I may be completely wrong, but I won't miss Mitsubishi at all. Mazda, however, I certainly hope expiriences a resurgence with thier new designs!!
Mitsubishi's exodus is a possibility as they are struggling, but not only in the US. They are struggling globally. I recently read an article about the Japanese CEO stepping down and being replaced by a new one. Mitsubishi is much like Suzuki in that their engineering is good, but their management is horrible. They would have died out a long time ago if it wasn't for the rest of Mitsubishi Corporation bailing them out. Mitsubishi is a huge corporation that makes everything from wooden pencils to aircraft.
Mitsubishi Motors also had some bad luck such as with the battery recall from their battery supplier for their PHEVs in Japan.
However, Mitsu is claiming they will stay in the US. They released 3 new concepts in a recent auto show which I liked (but I'm very liberal with automotive concept designs).
They should be bringing their Outlander PHEV soon. It's already on sale in Japan and Europe.
Also, the Outlander Sport is not bad. I drove one and recommended it to a co-worker who bought it. It's actually got the highest reliability rating from Consumer Reports, beating out the Toyota Camry for last year. It's not fun to drive thanks to the 2.0 engine mated to a CVT (in fact, the same one as in the Kizashi according to JATCO). However, its fit and finish is good and it is loaded with features. It's not a bad car for the money, but I'd personally go for the Outlander over the Sport.
The Evolution is a halo car. It's packed with technology and performance that is rather jaw-dropping for the price. It's almost always favored over the Subaru WRX STI in terms of performance and definitely for looks.
Lastly, I like Mitsubishi for their daring designs. Most Japanese brands are conservative and disappoint with their production design. Mitsubishi takes risks and offer fresh designs in their sheet metal.

With Mazda, you are absolutely wrong. They are actually growing. While still small and not enjoying the kind of boom Subaru is enjoying, Mazda is growing. In fact, they just opened their plant in Mexico which will be making Mazda2 and Mazda3 models for North America and possibly other markets.
I consider Mazdas to be among the best you can buy in any class they offer their vehicles in. Their attention to driving dynamics is a cut above the rest. I was reading a Motor Trend article in which a reviewer stated that the manual transmission in the new Mazda6 is the best there is in a midsize on the market. I believe it.
They are commonly called the "poor man's BMW" due to their focus on driving enjoyment.
bootymac

I know there was some speculation about Mazda's future back in 2012 but everything seems to be on track. I guess a lot depends on the redesigned line up.

http://m.autoblog.com/2013/11/18/mazda- ... t-2-years/

http://www.autonews.com/article/2013112 ... serAgent=1
Last edited by bootymac on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sx4rocious

Good for Mazda! Like I said, I would hate to see them go. I rather like the new designs (my thoughts on the audio control center notwithstanding) and I hope to see what they do next. The 3, 6, and their SUV offerings are beautiful and probably my current favorite new exterior design. I would love to see some of that design infiltrate into the 2 next year as I believe it would most likely outsell the Spark (too much headlight, not enough of anything else) and the Mirage (as I said earlier, GROSS!!) and possible even the Fiesta it's based on. I am also anxious to see the MasdaSpeed versions of this new design, since the "speed" versions of these cars have always captivated me. I even actually miss the rotary. I know they weren't exactly reliable or fuel efficient, but I had a buddy with a 2006 RX8. I can't even describe the feeling of 11,000 RPM in 4th gear at 135mph. I haven't felt another car like that since, and probably won't again.

As far as Mitsubishi is concerned, I won't miss them at all. The completely ruined the brand in my opinion, by ditching the reasonably priced 4G63 motors in the Eclipse GTS for the ridiculous MiVec V-6 that no enthusiast wanted. Why on Earth would someone drop production on a legendary car that everyman could afford and every company made parts for just to add to the exclusivity of the EVO that most normal shadetree mechanics could never afford? I don't understand, and it's very dissappointing to me...

I do like the Lancer though, but I consider it's design dated by today's standards. I don't like the new crossover Outlander design as it's a bit "Grrly" for me. I'm intrested in seeing where they take the i-Miev, but it still seems lightyears behind the Leaf and lightcenturies behind anything from Tesla (although clearly not in the same category for comparison). I think the loss of a good, solid pickup, midsize, and minivan are a huge downfall for the company if they really want to stay competitive in North America. I understand their focus is on smaller, more efficient cars and the higher-end technology showcasing performance Jap-rods, but there has to be a bread-and-butter for the company somewhere, and with the WRX outselling the Evo 2 to 1, I don't see much of a future for the mighty Mitsubishi...
sx4rocious

and BTW, Bootymac, wth is up with your avitar!! I'm going to have nightmares now!!!
SamirD

KuroNekko wrote:...a long line of balding men eager to sit in it. The American sports car ego is reloaded.
Fixed it for you. :lol: :mrgreen:

It's amazing how the Corvette enthusiasts are fairly consistent--Corvette hat with Corvette jacket with Corvette socks with Corvette etc. Even with three different clubs in HSV, only one (that founded the largest one until they were ousted by a coup) is genuinely different. But I have met some really great people in those clubs too, so it's just part of the marque, much like the BMW guys and their stereotype. 8-)
KuroNekko

SamirD wrote:
KuroNekko wrote:...a long line of balding men eager to sit in it. The American sports car ego is reloaded.
Fixed it for you. :lol: :mrgreen:

It's amazing how the Corvette enthusiasts are fairly consistent--Corvette hat with Corvette jacket with Corvette socks with Corvette etc. Even with three different clubs in HSV, only one (that founded the largest one until they were ousted by a coup) is genuinely different. But I have met some really great people in those clubs too, so it's just part of the marque, much like the BMW guys and their stereotype. 8-)
Right. I personally like the 'Vette but I just don't have a reason to really want one right now.

At the show, there was some young guy trash talking it with the rep there. The rep was defending the 'Vette as he should, but did not pick up on the obvious flaw of this dude's argument against the 'Vette: he was comparing its performance to cars like the Audi R8, Enzo Ferrari, and other European exotics. I then chimed in and flat out said, "How much do those European exotics cost? Now much does the Corvette cost? The fact that you can even compare a car starting at around 50K and going up to 100K to cars starting at 150K going going to near 400K shows it's an astonishing performance value." He then backed off and admitted it. I even told him that the Nissan GT-R was more its rival and faster to 0 to 60, but from 0 to 100, the new Corvette Z06 wins.
The rep was like, "Yeah, man!"