Window Tint

Non-Suzuki related topics. Anything can go here.
twoqttsdad

Going to get window tinting done soon.

I wanted to get something good. A tint shop told me that metallic tint would interfere with my tpms.

Anybody with a suggestion?

Thanks.
2012 SLS
Azure Grey
FWD CVT
KuroNekko

Not sure about TPMS, but metallic tints are known to cause reception issues with the radio if you have rear-window encased antennas which we do in the Kizashi.

I have "ceramic" tints made by Llumar Films which was the best stuff available at the highly reputable tint shop I went to. They had a BMW M3 and even an Aston Martin on the lot as customers.
I got the ceramic because it reflects the sun's rays the best while also lasting the longest over time. It does not interfere with radio reception and came with a lifetime warranty. Avoid cheap tints which can tear more easily and will discolor over time.

In terms of percentage, it's up to your preference but keep in mind that every state has regulations. Maryland has a limit of 35% all around. I got 40% ceramics to stay legal but it was also the look I was going for because I wanted a "smoked" look instead of dark or black. 5% (also called Limo Tint) is nearly black like old school film. It's what my car came with in the rear when I bought it but it failed MD inspection so I had to take it off. I then got it re-tinted after a while with the ceramic 40% tint.
Most people have darker tint and I think the tint you typically see on normal cars with rear window tint is 30%.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
SamirD

Anything metallic will interfere with radio signals. This possibly includes your key fob and tpms.
murcod

Carbon or ceramic based tints won't affect the radio etc. There are plenty of options out there. Scour car forums to find a shop in your area that is capable of doing a decent job applying tint and then see what brands they sell.

I've got this on mine http://www.suntekfilms.com/automotive/a ... e-cxp.aspx and like it as it's got a higher heat rejection ratio compared to some others.
David
twoqttsdad

Thanks. The shop I am looking at has the Llumar brand and they offer a lifetime warranty. They've been around a while. I was thinking of going with a mobile tint guy but even with a lifetime warranty I'm leary I won't be able to find him later.
2012 SLS
Azure Grey
FWD CVT
SamirD

twoqttsdad wrote:I was thinking of going with a mobile tint guy but even with a lifetime warranty I'm leary I won't be able to find him later.
As long as the Kizashi should last, this could certainly be an issue even with a storefront business. :o
nikrahiman

Just put huper optik into mine...
murcod

twoqttsdad wrote: I was thinking of going with a mobile tint guy but even with a lifetime warranty I'm leary I won't be able to find him later.
Don't do that - you'll end up with lots of dust and particles stuck between the tint and the window. A proper tint place should have a dedicated sectioned off area of their workshop to do tinting in. The place that did mine had those large cafe style PVC blinds up to keep the dust out of the area.
David
murcod

PS: I just checked the LLumar site - you'd want to go for their CTX series tint (not the ATC or ATR.) http://cdn.llumar.com/drupal/north_amer ... _specs.pdf

They may try and sell you the ATC as being non metallised, but it's a cheap nasty dyed film.
David
KuroNekko

murcod wrote:PS: I just checked the LLumar site - you'd want to go for their CTX series tint (not the ATC or ATR.) http://cdn.llumar.com/drupal/north_amer ... _specs.pdf

They may try and sell you the ATC as being non metallised, but it's a cheap nasty dyed film.
I believe I have the CTX otherwise known as ceramic tints. The ATC is not bad as I saw many samples while at the shop. I believe Llumar tints are among the best, even with their cheapest tint. It's probably a lot better than the stuff you can buy yourself at Walmart or Autozone. However, the CTX line is considerably better than the ATC and comes with a lifetime warranty. Of course the downside was that it was over twice the price of ATC tints.

I also agree with Murcod that you want to get it done at a shop that can control for dust and other contaminants.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)