Impact drivers, adapters and bits for car work

Non-Suzuki related topics. Anything can go here.
bootymac

KuroNekko wrote: Regardless, I have HIDs and whenever I deal with the headlights, the bumper and the headlights come off the car. It really doesn't take long. It's like one of those things that seems daunting and a huge hassle at first, but you realize it isn't once you do it. An impact driver really makes the job quick and easy.
Plus, you get to see other components much better and learn more about your car.
I purchased a cordless drill and circular saw kit instead of the drill and driver kit a while ago, thinking that I'd never use the driver. Then I got under the Kizashi and saw the billions of bolts holding the under trays. Now I can't get the driver without buying it with another drill
KuroNekko

bootymac wrote:
KuroNekko wrote: Regardless, I have HIDs and whenever I deal with the headlights, the bumper and the headlights come off the car. It really doesn't take long. It's like one of those things that seems daunting and a huge hassle at first, but you realize it isn't once you do it. An impact driver really makes the job quick and easy.
Plus, you get to see other components much better and learn more about your car.
I purchased a cordless drill and circular saw kit instead of the drill and driver kit a while ago, thinking that I'd never use the driver. Then I got under the Kizashi and saw the billions of bolts holding the under trays. Now I can't get the driver without buying it with another drill
That's funny because I bought my drill and driver set mainly for the drill. However, once I realized how awesome an impact driver was, I've been using it way more than the drill. I love this thing. It's got 3x the torque of the drill so while the drill can use an attachment for driving bits, the impact driver just works better.

What brand did you get? Some brands offer just the power tool alone without the battery so you can add it to your tool line-up and use batteries you already have. This allows you to buy a tool like an impact driver for cheaper. That's the case with many brand name tools like DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita, Ryobi, and the like.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
bootymac

Yeah, I figured having my electric impact wrench was enough but quickly realized that we can never have enough tools :lol:

It's just a Ryobi One+ kit. The driver itself is $80 with no battery. The drill and driver kit often goes on sale for $100 with two batteries and a charger.

I'm guessing you use a socket adapter with the driver? How much length does it add?

KuroNekko

bootymac wrote:Yeah, I figured having my electric impact wrench was enough but quickly realized that we can never have enough tools :lol:

It's just a Ryobi One+ kit. The driver itself is $80 with no battery. The drill and driver kit often goes on sale for $100 with two batteries and a charger.

I'm guessing you use a socket adapter with the driver? How much length does it add?

Yup, I have a set that looks exactly like that. It was like $8 at Autozone. It adds maybe 2.5 inches, not including the socket. These are 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch adapters so they allow you to use a full range of sockets.
I also got Allen and Torx adapters.

I also recommend getting a magnetic housing for bits. It helps to hold the screw as you tighten or loosen it. This is the one that I have from Makita:

BxKizashiS

nice!
2012 Suzuki Kizashi S AWD
H&R Springs, RRM Intake, Magnaflow Custom Exhaust, NRG Bucket Seats, Takata Drift II Harness, Cypher Auto Harness Bar, 25 shot NOS(for now)
Facebook.com/jpreludesi
IG: N2OKizashi
~tc~

bootymac wrote:
Spend good money and get good adapters. Mine are all twisted or broke from the torque of my cordless impact driver
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
bootymac

~tc~ wrote:Spend good money and get good adapters. Mine are all twisted or broke from the torque of my cordless impact driver
I'm trying to find the shortest ones for more clearance. So far the general consensus seems to be the B&D set:

Most sets have an extension between the square and hex drive:

~tc~

Shorter will help.
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
KuroNekko

Those look like the shortest I've ever seen.

Honestly though, I find myself using the bits far more than the sockets. After all, it's a driver, not a wrench. It's obvious the makers know that the impact driver will wear out its bits and attachments. My magnetic bit set even came with like 20 of the same Phillips bit. You just replace them as they wear out.
bootymac

Picked the B&D set up from Walmart while I was in WA for only $5. Now I just need something to attach them too :lol:

I'm surprised there weren't more tools on sale for Father's Day