Impact drivers, adapters and bits for car work

Non-Suzuki related topics. Anything can go here.
KuroNekko

bootymac wrote:Picked the B&D set up from Walmart while I was in WA for only $5. Now I just need something to attach them too :lol:

I'm surprised there weren't more tools on sale for Father's Day
That's a funny coincidence. I was in Walmart yesterday and saw these for just under $5. I didn't buy them since I already have some longer ones which are still fine.

What brand of impact driver are you thinking about? Are you going to get a Ryobi since you already have some of their other tools and can possibly share the battery?
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
bootymac

Yeah, Ryobi would make the most sense as I already have two batteries for it. At the same time, my Ryobi kit was only $100 so I'm not too invested into it if I see another brand on sale.
~tc~

bootymac wrote: At the same time, my Ryobi kit was only $100 so I'm not too invested into it if I see another brand on sale.
As someone who has taken this route, I would recommend sticking with one. I have a gazillion chargers and batteries that won't work with each other - really wish I had just stuck to one "system". The batteries eventually need to be replaced - it's nice if that means you can use any of your tools, not just one.
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
bootymac

Thanks for the advice! Looks like I'll be sticking to Ryobi then.
bootymac

So the B&D adapters are ~50mm long and ~65mm long with a shallow socket. I'm not too sure about quality as they're made on Taiwan like most of the Princess Auto and Harbor Freight stuff.

I'll try them out with my drill whenever I can but I'm not hopeful. The drill produces only 28 ft-lb of torque :lol:

Here are some pictures
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1402905050538.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1402905050538.jpg (51.72 KiB) Viewed 6949 times
uploadfromtaptalk1402905038567.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1402905038567.jpg (76.98 KiB) Viewed 6949 times
uploadfromtaptalk1402905012465.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1402905012465.jpg (73.22 KiB) Viewed 6949 times
bootymac

What's the torque rating on your impact drivers? The Ryobi one is rated for 125 ft-lb and this guy has no problems using it to remove wheel nuts torqued to 85 ft-lbs and 94 ft-lbs:

KuroNekko

Looks like Murcod beat me to splitting the thread as we moved away from the original topic to discussing power tools. Thanks, Murcod.

I have the Makita 18V Impact Driver that was sold in a set with the drill at Home Depot. The driver is rated at 1,420 in. lbs. of maximum torque. I find that impact drivers are rated in inch pounds of torque while impact wrenches are rated in ft lbs.
Regardless, an online conversion rates 1,420 in. lbs. of maximum torque as 118.3 ft lbs.
I haven't used my impact driver on things like lug nuts as I've considered that more the job for impact wrenches. Many are pneumatic but you can find electric ones, some of which are cordless. I think for lug nuts though, I will prefer my breaker bar to remove them and my torque wrench to install them.

Overall, I really like my Makita set. I was considering other brands, but consistently found the Makita products to be rated highly in my research. My local Costco has a rather impressive-looking DeWalt drill and impact driver set for $199. I see a lot of professionals using DeWalt products but that can be more a local thing as DeWalt is from Maryland. Regardless, all these products are made in China, no matter the brand though my Makita's battery cells are made in Japan.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
murcod

I've got one of these: http://www.carscene.com.au/products/wrench/index.htm

I've read more than one review where people have said they'll out perform 1/2" air rattle guns! (340Nm = 250 ft lb) It's obviously more cumbersome, but has come in use for undoing suspension bolts etc that can't be budged with hand tools.

I've also got one of these for smaller stuff http://www.aegpowertools.com.au/product ... s/BSS18C0/ but prefer hand tools where possible on vehicles. Undoing is okay, but you could do some serious damage using them carelessly to tighten bolts! :lol: (Locally, we get a 6 year tool and 3 year battery warranty with AEG - it sold them to me! They also make Milwaukee power tools.)
David
bootymac

KuroNekko wrote:I haven't used my impact driver on things like lug nuts as I've considered that more the job for impact wrenches. Many are pneumatic but you can find electric ones, some of which are cordless. I think for lug nuts though, I will prefer my breaker bar to remove them and my torque wrench to install them.
Give it a try. If it works it'll save some time!

I have an electric impact wrench (240 ft lb) that I use mostly for suspension work. It's powerful enough to remove pesky upper strut mount nuts. I'm not sure if it'll have enough grunt to remove axle nuts for an upcoming project through. I tried it out for wheel swaps but the hassle of running a cable around negated the benefits. It's also really bulky and loud.

Edit: Ugh, the Tapatalk update is horrible
~tc~

DeWalt power tools are made in Mexico primarily (my last job we made a lot of parts for them)

I use a Craftsman 19.6V impact driver for most things. If it comes down to real torque, I bust out the air tools. In air tools, Craftsman is the same as Ingersoll Rand, but 1/2 the price.
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic