Driving license

Non-Suzuki related topics. Anything can go here.
paininthenuts

Just a quick question for everyone who doesn't live in the UK. Over here, if you pass your driving test in an Auto, you can not drive a manual, albeit it is ok the other way around. What about in your country ?
Ronzuki

doesn't matter in PA what type car/trans you test in versus what you can drive afterwards as long as the class (GVWR) of vehicle is within your license parameters. Motor cycle is a separate test and 'stamp' on my license.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
murcod

I think it varies from state to state here? Mostly though, if you didn't get your licence in a manual then you can't drive one.

Motorcycle is a separate licence test- except for anything 50cc or under which you can drive (ride? :) ) on a car licence.
David
sx4rocious

doesn't matter in Indiana or Illinois (the two states I've had valid DL in). I don't really think it matters anywhere in the states AFAIK. Motorcycles are a different licence here as well as commercial and large van. Anything under 50cc is legal without any DL in Indiana, which makes it a favorite for the "DUI" crowds. (Hence the nickname "DUI-cycles")
KuroNekko

I think license laws are very similar for all the states in the USA. There is no differentiation between manual and automatic transmission vehicles in terms of licensing.

I've heard there is a difference in Japan and much like the UK, you can drive an auto with a manual license but not vice-a-versa.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
honsonwong

KuroNekko wrote:I've heard there is a difference in Japan and much like the UK, you can drive an auto with a manual license but not vice-a-versa.
Same as Hong Kong, you can drive auto with manual licence but auto licence can only drive auto vehicle.
In B.C. Canada, you can have an auto car to take the driving test, if you pass and get the licence, then you can drive both auto and manual.
cocos3

Having two teenager drivers in the family...in Aus, if they get their license in an auto and go on to red provisional plates (1 year), they can only drive an auto until they move on to their green provisional license (2 years). Not such a big deal...
Red 2013 Prestige w/ sat-nav
CLLee

In the state of Victoria in Australia, it's the same as the UK.

When I did mine in Malaysia ages ago, it's all manual (learning and testing). License holders are allowed to drive both obviously. Not sure about now.