Electric car sales...

Non-Suzuki related topics. Anything can go here.
bootymac

The only criteria here for roof racks is sticker space

KuroNekko

We've talked about the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV before in this thread.
I believe I stated that Mitsu will release this car in the US when they have a redesign. Well, they recently just showcased it in Paris. Here is the concept that the production model will be based on. Given Mitsubishi's M.O., the production model will look similar to the concept unlike anything from Subaru ever.
Also, they've apparently managed to completely eliminate road noise even offroad as the video shows.
:lol:
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/10/03/mits ... aris-2014/

[youtube][/youtube]
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
murcod

Here's a test on the PHEV : http://www.raa.com.au/motoring-and-road ... utm_medium

This bit is of high relevance
The official fuels consumption is listed as 1.9 litre /100kms however during testing we achieved an average of 5.3 litre /100kms with mainly city driving. The PHEV is good for city life but if long trips are a regular element of your driving, the fuel efficiency benefits of the PHEV will diminish fairly quickly. It is one thing to cite low tailpipe emissions because of the effect of the electric-only modes but the emissions for the electrical power are just transferred to the smoke stacks of Torrens Island unless the power is from environmentally friendlier sources such as wind generators.
(Torrens Island is the local power generating plant.)
David
bootymac

It's a good point about the source of electricity. 95% of our province's power is generated by hydroelectricity, so electric cars make a lot more sense here.
murcod

Their average economy sucked though at 5.3l/100km - I wonder if they were recharging every night and still got that figure? :shock:

Any story like that needs to be clearer on how they drove the vehicle (distance per day) and what the recharging (use of mains power) regime was. Otherwise the figures are useless. They might have just driven it around using it as a normal hybrid and not recharged off mains? I'd be hoping that's the case to end up with a dismal figure of 5.3l/100km. :?:
David
KuroNekko

5.3l/100km is still good for an AWD midsize SUV. That's around 44 MPG which is better than what a conventional gasoline/petrol compact car does on the highway. That 5.3l figure was also for city driving too.
Unlike a full EV, PHEVs like the Chevy Volt and this Outlander PHEV use their gas engines as generators. This allows them to run as full EVs on a charge and then continue running once their batteries have been depleted unlike a full EV like a Nissan Leaf or Tesla Model S.

About the environmental impact of EVs and PHEVs:
It's almost entirely dependent on where you live and what the major source of electricity is. If you live in West Virginia or Pennsylvania in the USA, then your power source is most likely coal. This is arguably just as dirty, if not worse, than burning gasoline. However, up in New Jersey, nuclear is a major source of electricity. Nuclear is much cleaner than fossil fuels or coal as long as there are no accidents. Down in Florida, natural gas is a major source of electricity. Again, arguably cleaner than fossil fuels burned in ICE. In the Pacific Northwest like in Washington State and Vancouver, Canada, hydroelectric dams generate the majority of the electricity. This would make an EV or PHEV much much cleaner than a fossil fuel burning car.

So in essence, the practicality and even the environmental impact of a car like a PHEV or EV is very dependent on where one lives. I really think that driving conditions also dictate whether a PHEV is a good investment. For short commutes and the occasional trip, I'd think a PHEV is great. For constant long distance traveling, I'd prefer a diesel or gasoline powered car. While the fuel economy figure for the Outlander PHEV may seem poor by itself, it's actually very impressive if compared to conventional ICEs. Not even a 1.8 liter engine in a Hyundai Elantra can top 44 MPG on the highway while this 4x4 midsize SUV does it burning gas for its motors around a city. When viewed comparatively, it's actually impressive.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
murcod

I always look at the long term ownership. You've got a battery pack that's slowly losing capacity every time it goes through a charge / discharge cycle. If/ when it dies it's going to be a huge outlay in $$$ terms. So, I'm always factoring that in - in the back of my mind - when viewing these economy figures.

The environmental impact of them being manufactured also needs to be considered. Not just during operation.
David
coref1

I read another review which was a long distance trip review of the PHEV and it used a bit over 7l/100klm, almost the same as the Kizashi. The biggest gains are in the city consumption however for me the last thing I want is a tank to drive around the city. The other problem highlighted on a long trip is the PHEV has a small fuel tank, I think they said 45 litres.
In Australia the majority of power generation is from black coal so mostly from a dirty source.
sx4rocious

I'm still not convinced a PHEV is the way to go. I think the extra cost FAR outweighs the savings in fuel. Plus, with the added weight of the batteries, the roads in my neck of the woods would completely suck. I drive 36 miles one way to work and very little in the city, so city mileage means nothing to me. I just can't seem to justify the added cost of a PHEV.

Now something like the Model S would be perfect if it actually DOES get 300 miles per charge. I work a rather strange schedule that allows me to work no more than 3 days in a row. This would allow plenty of time to charge the car fully between working days, and if the 300 mile range is true, I could get there and back all three days with a few miles to spare between charges. My point is, a hybrid (even a plug-in one) would do now better to me that the 36+ mpg I get in the Kizashi on the highway (although I drive a SX4 and the wife drives the Kizashi), but a fully electric vehicle with a decent range would prove useful to a guy like me (and most Midwesterners). Give me an Outlander with a full-electric drive and a 300 mile range for the same price as the gas version, and we can talk.