New Honda Civic Type R

Non-Suzuki related topics. Anything can go here.
Wonson92

276hp/206kw, 6 speed manual and it doesn't look like something my mother would drive - this TG article caught my eye today. Thought I would share.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/hond ... 2014-09-29

Could be the first good/fun thing from Honda in a long time! (bikes not included ;) )
...the Achilles heel of any powerful front-driver - torque steer - will be minimised thanks to the Civic's ‘steer axis'. A new mechanical system including two supporting ‘kingpins' has been fitted to the front suspension to make sure the Type R goes where you point it...
Interesting.

I missed earlier posts etc. regarding it earlier this year.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
2011 Premium Silver XL

Learn. Do. Break. Fix. Explore. Save. Repeat
KuroNekko

These aren't coming to the US so Honda remains boring here.
Will Aussies get the new Type-R?
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
bootymac

Well I'll be damned, they're going forced induction
murcod

KuroNekko wrote:These aren't coming to the US so Honda remains boring here.
Will Aussies get the new Type-R?
You guys get a lot better engines in your "everyday" Honda models than we get here. eg. the 150kW Civic Si reviewed here against a Kizashi http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sed ... omparison/

I would have been test driving one of them for sure..... The most powerful 2012 Civic we got was the "Sport" with a 114kW 2.0l engine that could only be had with a 5spd auto. The most powerful manual version was a 1.8l with 104kW :roll: .
Honda Australia says the Civic Type R is “definitely high on our wish list” but says it is still not confirmed for our our market at this stage. It says if the car is confirmed for Australia, as expected, a local launch would take place sometime after the introduction of the car in Europe.
David
Wonson92

I imagine we will get it, Honda has nothing appealing out here at the moment unless you have a taste for it. It will most likely be over priced for a turbo civic though which is somewhat heart breaking because I like the looks of it a lot.

Some photos of the real thing in Geneva:

I'm a bit bummed out by the face that it still says 'concept' on it though :(
2011 Premium Silver XL

sx4rocious

not a fan of the wing... Love the rest of it though!
Wonson92

sx4rocious wrote:not a fan of the wing... Love the rest of it though!
Normally i'd agree but the back of the 2014 civic with no wing.... just no for me :shock:

2011 Premium Silver XL

bootymac

It looks like a real life Hot Wheels. Very interested to see how it compares against the GTI!
KuroNekko

bootymac wrote:It looks like a real life Hot Wheels. Very interested to see how it compares against the GTI!
With the power it's making, I'd say the Golf R would be the VW rival.
This new Civic Type-R is like a Mazdaspeed3 in many ways from the looks, FF layout, and the engine specs.
I find it interesting that Honda claims to have controlled torque-steer (common phenomenon with the MS3). We'll see what the reviews state about that.

Personally, I'd not want a turbo 4 that makes over 250 HP to be FWD. AWD is the way to go and it's what VW (who invented the hot hatch with the GTI decades ago) does between the GTI (210 HP) and the Golf R (292 HP) in their current or upcoming versions. The GTI is FWD and the Golf R is AWD.

Ford is rumored to bring the Focus RS to the US soon. I've read some reports saying it'll be AWD and some others alluding to a FWD layout.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
bootymac

Except the Golf R is stupid expensive!