Elio Motors

Non-Suzuki related topics. Anything can go here.
SamirD

bootymac wrote:Darwinism :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Wisconsin is the same way too--no helmet going 85 down the highway in a 55. :o

But then you see people wearing them too--I call these guys 'second chancers'. They must have either survived a crash or knew someone that got killed in one. Either way, I've seen what a helmet can protect your noggin from. I want to actually wear one driving a car, but apparently that's illegal. :roll:
SamirD

KuroNekko wrote:I don't think it'll take off. I remember watching a news clip on these. They are apparently agile, but rather lacking in space and refinement.
However, the main reason I don't think this company will succeed is because big names in the auto industry have already created something similar in the market.
http://www.toyota-global.com/innovation ... ty/i-road/

The Elio is powered by a gas engine while the Toyota is an EV. However, given that most people who buy tiny cars like these live in the city, having an electric drivetrain that can be powered anywhere for a fraction of the price of fossil fuels makes more sense. For people in suburban and rural areas, they are more likely going to want more of a car than the little Elio.

While I think the Elio is pretty cool and would be a great car for some people, I think that they will unlikely succeed to make a difference in the automotive market because they probably won't appeal to most consumers. Being apparently independent, I can't imagine how this could be sustainable.
Very interesting Toyota link. Looks like they're thinking much further ahead than just replacing the car with something better. They're thinking about the whole concept of transportation from mass transport to the individual. Kind of akin to Internet access distribution with the various backbone to last mile technologies.