Reporting in from Japan

Non-Suzuki related topics. Anything can go here.
bootymac

Looks great!
SamirD

Wow, that first shot looks very cool! Like some sort of a spaceship or something.

Looks like everything is super-bright. Do you not think that in itself might be an issue? I never thought that license plate lights could be that bright. :shock:
KuroNekko

SamirD wrote:Wow, that first shot looks very cool! Like some sort of a spaceship or something.

Looks like everything is super-bright. Do you not think that in itself might be an issue? I never thought that license plate lights could be that bright. :shock:
The photos make it look brighter than it really is, I think. About the only LEDs that are really bright are the vanity mirror bulbs. The others emit a good amount of light, but aren't too bright for their purpose. I also have the "Value Model" LEDS in the front map lights which give off a softer, weaker light. These are the lights I'd use if I didn't want a bright light such as while driving.

The license plate bulbs are brighter than they need to be, but it's not like they emit a distracting amount of light. They cast a wider and longer range of light than most OE license plate bulbs (incandescent or even LED). I find this kind of nice because it illuminates the ground at the rear of the vehicle. It's useful for when you're loading things and making sure nothing is left outside the car in the dark.
My photo did not capture this, but Bootymac's does. He also has LED rear license plate bulbs.

2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
SamirD

I completely forgot how cameras can make lights seem brighter than they are. I've been away from my cameras too long. :cry:

I agree that the license plate light must be nice for lighting up the back of the car when you're getting something. But I'm wondering if they can't get mistaken for reverse lights in just the right conditions.
sx4rocious

i would prefer the bright LP lights actually. Anything making the rear of the car more visible in in the night would be OK with me. Especially since my kids are always in the back of the car. Precious cargo as they say.
bootymac

KuroNekko wrote:
My photo did not capture this, but Bootymac's does. He also has LED rear license plate bulbs.

I actually just installed another set of the same LEDs on our other car! Love how bright they are

http://m.dx.com/p/festoon-36mm-3w-240lm ... pcs-235842
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1421307941727.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1421307941727.jpg (216.72 KiB) Viewed 11184 times
KuroNekko

SamirD wrote: But I'm wondering if they can't get mistaken for reverse lights in just the right conditions.
I can see that concern, but photos tend to make them look differently from reality. The light is really focused on the plate and extended to the ground. It doesn't really cast a light backwards like a reverse light.

Personally, I wouldn't mind the LEDs being dimmer, but these were the cheapest 36/37mm Festoon bulbs I found in Japan. I believe the reason why the packaging said it was intended for interior cabin lighting and not license plates was because of its light output and range. Regardless, it's not a big deal and I kind of like the ambient lighting around the bumper at night.

I now need to install the front door mud/courtesy lights, door reflectors, and figure out how to install my shift knob. It needs an extender.
Oh, and I should install my JDM air freshener.
SamirD

I've seen some bright plate lights before and because I never saw the source of the light, I couldn't mistake them for reverse lights either. 8-) I'd like to see that light cast down in person as something tells me I'd like it too. The rear of a black car can be quite dark at night.

Sounds like you've still got some goodies to install. Can't wait to see more pics. 8-)
DesRado

KuroNekko wrote:The shift knob is weighted at 240 grams and has a textured finish that mimics the look of carbon fiber, however is made of metal. It contains adapters for different thread sizes and is designed to sit low on the shifter stem. The package explicitly states it's compatible with Suzuki models.
Which size thread pattern actually fit the Kizashi. I'd like to buy one but not sure the correct thread.
2012 Platinum Silver Kizashi GTS, 6SP

KuroNekko

DesRado wrote:
KuroNekko wrote:The shift knob is weighted at 240 grams and has a textured finish that mimics the look of carbon fiber, however is made of metal. It contains adapters for different thread sizes and is designed to sit low on the shifter stem. The package explicitly states it's compatible with Suzuki models.
Which size thread pattern actually fit the Kizashi. I'd like to buy one but not sure the correct thread.
All Suzukis apparently have M12x1.25. The Kizashi's shift knob threading is that size.
If you get a universal knob, it should come with adapters. A direct screw-in type must be M12x1.25.