Focus RS to come to the the US!

Non-Suzuki related topics. Anything can go here.
Moto
Site Admin

:o
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/fu ... to-the-us/

:drive:

My trouble prone forester xt may go away if these are priced to fight with the wrx rather than the STI.
bootymac

Yes! The world needs more hot hatches
nytq

I'll bet these churn out at $35K +....... in other words we will never have another new AWD with the looks, styling, quality of the kizzy.
2011 SE AWD PLATINUM SILVER W/RRM INTAKE AND CUSTOM CAT BACK
Ronzuki

Agreed. A seemingly worthy replacement...at a significant cost increase for certain. The write-up makes it sound like it would be a real hoot to hammer down on and put through its paces though. I nominate WESHOOT as the long-term test pilot!
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
KuroNekko

The Focus RS arriving in the US makes a lot of sense now. The Subaru WRX STI is a sedan-only vehicle now. Another rival, the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, is in its last production year. In essence, Ford is bringing their RS when the rivals have lost market relevance. Given the RS will likely outperform and cost less than the new Golf R, it makes for a real contender in this hot hatch/sports compact segment.
The Focus ST is already critically acclaimed so the RS with more power and AWD should make for a stellar car.
There are even rumors about a Fiesta RS, but who knows at this point.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
sx4rocious

bootymac wrote:Yes! The world needs more hot hatches
The world has them, the US needs more hot hatches!!!!!! :x
FrankoLaMoya

One of my friends had the Focus ST for about a month before he blew up the engine. I always hear/heard a lot of negative comments about Ford, Dodge, Chevrolet and Jeep... but never about Toyota, Honda, Suzuki, Subaru, Hyunda... you know where I am going with this... don't buy american. I saw a guy wrote on a forum ''My Cruze is pretty reliable so far except I had the water pump replaced twice already''. the Cruze was a 2012 with 35 000 miles on it.... I mean common man, you really thin that is normal? People sometimes...That is one of many stories I've read over the internet.
2012 Suzuki Kizashi Sport iAWD CVT ''Kaijū'' (Black pearl metallic)

Priors:
2004 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T 6MT ''Audini'' (Black)
1999 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8 AT (Dark green)
1984 Chevrolet Malibu 3MT with a 327 engine lol (Blue)
1996 Acura Integra 5MT (Black)
KuroNekko

FrankoLaMoya wrote:One of my friends had the Focus ST for about a month before he blew up the engine. I always hear/heard a lot of negative comments about Ford, Dodge, Chevrolet and Jeep... but never about Toyota, Honda, Suzuki, Subaru, Hyunda... you know where I am going with this... don't buy american. I saw a guy wrote on a forum ''My Cruze is pretty reliable so far except I had the water pump replaced twice already''. the Cruze was a 2012 with 35 000 miles on it.... I mean common man, you really thin that is normal? People sometimes...That is one of many stories I've read over the internet.
I both agree and disagree with this notion.
The Japanese are well-known to make the most reliable cars, but it's not like getting one insures problem-free ownership. Moto has a Forester which is a made-in-Japan Subaru yet it's been problematic as his first post stated.
Also, domestics have got a lot better in the last decade. No doubt that domestics tend to have lower reliability than Japanese brands in general, but it should really be viewed model vs. model.
I've personally only owned Japanese cars, many of which were made in Japan. I haven't experienced any major failures and would say these Japanese cars were very reliable. However, keep in mind I've never owned any of the "big three" Japanese brands: Toyota, Honda, or Nissan. Yet, it's these three that usually get associated with primo-Japanese quality/reliability and not others like Suzuki, Mazda, Subaru, etc.

I think that these days, many people disregard domestics unfairly because of their past while favoring Japanese cars that are arguably now resting on their laurels.
Some "domestics" are also unfairly viewed such as the Chevy Cruze you mentioned. That's actually a Korean car. Its origins and design are from GM Korea, formerly known as Daewoo. In fact, all of GM's small cars are from them including the Sonic, Cruze, Spark, Captiva, and Buick Encore. While the Cruze is made in the US, it was designed in Korea. It's essentially the descendant of the shitty Suzuki-badged Daewoos that were the Forenza, Reno, and Verona. In fact, foreign markets even had a "Suzuki Cruze" years ago which was a Daewoo-designed vehicle.

That being said, I don't really trust Ford's EcoBoost engines. Ford is new to turbocharging compared to the Germans and Japanese and their EcoBoost engines have proved to be rather problematic across the entire fleet. They need time to work out the kinks and make them more reliable. Even their fuel efficiency has been called into questions as their real-world figures have been below estimates. Despite the acclaimed performance of the Focus ST, its reliability is rather low and same goes for many Ford models with any form of the EcoBoost turbo engine.

However, the Focus RS is new... to America. It's been in Europe for a while now and is even designed and made in Europe. It's not like some brand new car that Ford is creating for the first time. While I expect its reliability to be lower than Japanese models, it's not like it's an entirely new vehicle that Ford will be learning from. In some ways, you can expect it to be better than some of its rivals performance-wise.

In essence, it's wiser to judge model to model, powertrain to powertrain. The Japanese brands have had recall after recall for problems and Honda executives in Japan even had a pay-cut due to consecutive quality issues with their products. Nissan's CVTs are problem-prone and models with them now end up on the "least reliable" lists.
Meanwhile, some domestics have surprisingly good reliability ratings from sources such as Consumer Reports which has long favored Japanese brands. Despite Ford's problematic EcoBoost turbocharged engines, their hybrids are among the most reliable vehicles on the road. The Chevy Volt also enjoys stellar reliability, surpassing most Japanese cars out there. Basically, it's not the brand or country of origin at fault for reliability, it's the model and its powertrain.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Woodie

sx4rocious wrote:
bootymac wrote:Yes! The world needs more hot hatches
The world has them, the US needs more hot hatches!!!!!! :x
With less doors! What ever happened to the three door hatch?
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
Moto
Site Admin

Insurance Companies....

I wasn't able to find a good article that sums it up, but if I remember right insurance companies are the reason that there are 4 door cars in the world that have no hope of seating 4 people.