VW TDI-EPA scandal

Non-Suzuki related topics. Anything can go here.
KuroNekko

If you've been following the news as of late, you'd know that VW is in a lot of deep shit with the US government. For those that haven't heard, VW was caught utilizing software on their 2.0 liter TDI (diesel engine) models that falsified data when getting emissions tested. Basically, the vehicles are alleged to have software that could detect when they were getting emissions tested via the OBDII port and reported false emissions data to make them seem cleaner than in reality.
This finding now offers a good explanation to why their cars were the only ones that were able to meet all 50 state emissions standards for diesels while other makes struggled and needed exhaust after-treatments to meet specifications. Mazda is an example of one who has delayed their SkyActiv D diesel engines for years because they wanted to meet 50 state emissions standards without needing exhaust treatments.

The EPA and CARB (California Air Resources Board, which has the most stringent emissions standards in the world) are going after VW given they've deliberately been subject to fraud by VW. There's even talk of a staggering $18 billion fine but that's unrealistic. However, VW has ordered a stop-sale on all 2.0 liter TDIs in the US and will recall nearly 500,000 TDIs.

VW seems to be in rough times these days, especially in the US. Sales are sluggish, they lost their arbitration with Suzuki, and now this major scandal.

I found this hilarious video which encapsulates VW's standing in the US rather well.

2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
nytq

Its such a shame to see what lengths corporations are willing to go to make more and more money. I could never have imagined, VW, or any large, worldly company, would ever try such a massive scale lie. It's just another despicable action by a major player in our world. I've come to realize that business as usual nowadays really means lie, lie, lie until you get caught. And even then, they figure a way out of it. Usually because they put money away just for these types of "caught in the cookie jar" situations. How can anyone be trusted when they throw the lies right in your face and then ask for more of your money.
2011 SE AWD PLATINUM SILVER W/RRM INTAKE AND CUSTOM CAT BACK
ehart814

I think it's hilarious. But what really bothers me, is that VW is going to be in a whole lot more trouble than GM was, and pay higher fines than GM. And GM's piece of crap ignition switches were KILLING PEOPLE!!! So I guess if you're a car company, now your first priority is to clean your emissions, then worry about not killing people...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KuroNekko

ehart814 wrote:I think it's hilarious. But what really bothers me, is that VW is going to be in a whole lot more trouble than GM was, and pay higher fines than GM. And GM's piece of crap ignition switches were KILLING PEOPLE!!! So I guess if you're a car company, now your first priority is to clean your emissions, then worry about not killing people...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, GM's problem was killing people but it was a defect that they simply brushed under the rug. It wasn't a deliberate matter but a defect they just kept hush about.
With VW, it was completely intentional and the target of their fraud was specifically the US government, both federal and state. One thing about the government is that if you victimize them, they bring the pain... big time. Given VW deliberately designed their 2.0 liter TDIs to fool emissions tests so their cars could be sold in all 50 states without exhaust after-treatments, they pretty much scammed the EPA and CARB so they could make profits. Now their whole scheme was exposed and they've even admitted it.
I expect the US government to really give them a gaping new one when this goes to court. I expect a fine at least in the low billions but that would still be fortunate for VW given this sort of fraud is worth the company being banned from business in the United States.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
DesRado

Could you imagine a VW pull out from the US? I saw even some Audis on the list of cars effected.

I agree though that GM should have had a much bigger fine. They knew for like a decade their faulty parts could cause accidents, let alone deaths. That in itself is a deliberate act of keeping something from the gov't.

Think these engines will be cheap to buy? Put a new diesel in a Kizashi lolol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
2012 Platinum Silver Kizashi GTS, 6SP

bootymac

nytq wrote:Its such a shame to see what lengths corporations are willing to go to make more and more money. I could never have imagined, VW, or any large, worldly company, would ever try such a massive scale lie. It's just another despicable action by a major player in our world. I've come to realize that business as usual nowadays really means lie, lie, lie until you get caught. And even then, they figure a way out of it. Usually because they put money away just for these types of "caught in the cookie jar" situations. How can anyone be trusted when they throw the lies right in your face and then ask for more of your money.
This sums up my sentiments exactly. I hope VW is punished adequately for this
nytq

This may turn out to be a good thing for consumers in the end. I'm going to keep my eye on the Golf R prices over the next year. I'm thinking one just might be able to grab one at a very affordable price, once this scandal really hits VW pricing and brand loyalty, not to mention resale value.
2011 SE AWD PLATINUM SILVER W/RRM INTAKE AND CUSTOM CAT BACK
WESHOOT2

Our dealership is currently not accepting ANY VW as a trade.
Ronzuki

Wow, that really sucks for a VW owner. What's worse than owning an orphan brand...a leper brand.

The fact you are not accepting VW trades corresponds with today's news of the never ending legal troubles from consumers that is almost certain to be coming down the pike (apparently quickly now) on top of the federal tree hugging fines and criminal investigations.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Triggerhappy

I was lucky enough to trade in a 2013 Passat TDI last April. I can't believe they thought they could get away with a defeat device installed. I'm pretty sure the former CEO of VW will be held accountable once investigations are through.
152k miles - niece drives it now
2017 Prius Prime - about 65 mpg factoring in electricity cost
2018 Pacifica Hybrid - wife's