Kizashi Club

Your Kizashi Owners Club and Forum 

Non-Suzuki related topics. Anything can go here.
 #48336  by Ronzuki
 Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:22 am
 #48341  by KuroNekko
 Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:11 pm
Ronzuki wrote:Speaking of...received this Mazda3 press reveal link in an email from Mazda today...

https://www.mazdausa.com/new-era?intcmp=CRM08421&providertag=MazdaCRM&servicetag=CRM08421&t=1&secid=1-V52I91&setid=1-1887558622&CRMCID=0026994650&sesc=1-1899793672&sp_rid=MzIwNTM0NTU3MDMyS0&sp_mid=14692929&spMailingID=14692929&spUserID=MzIwNTM0NTU3MDMyS0&spJobID=1522127827&spReportId=MTUyMjEyNzgyNwS2

Thought the sedan would make a good replacement candidate....depending on how it handles...

It will handle wonderfully as the 3 always has. I had a 2005 Mazda3 S before my Kizashi and dare I say it was slightly better in the corners than the Kizashi. It was smaller, lighter, and more nimble. One thing the Mazda will certainly be much better with is the transmission, regardless of manual or automatic. Mazda has avoided CVTs for good reason and make great autos. Their manuals are among the best and shifters far superior to that of the Kizashi's. It's the one thing I miss most about my 3.

Where the Mazda3 fell short was in refinement, build quality, and NHV suppression compared to the Kizashi. The Mazda3 was built like an economy car while you could tell the Kizashi was Suzuki's flagship. However, Mazda has made huge strides in quality and reliability since SkyActiv models came out. I haven't driven one but I'm sure they are closer to the Kizashi in refinement than the old Mazda3's.

If anything, I'm most wary about the new SkyActiv X's reliability given it's a brand new engine running on proprietary technology.
 #48352  by Woodie
 Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:19 pm
KuroNekko wrote:If anything, I'm most wary about the new SkyActiv X's reliability given it's a brand new engine running on proprietary technology.

:idea: Good thinking. Probably best to get the old engine, or wait a year for them to learn from a couple of disasters.
 #48357  by Ronzuki
 Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:49 pm
It took Chrysler/Fiat over 3 years to sort out the Pentastar engine...
 #48382  by KuroNekko
 Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:46 pm
While I have high hopes for SkyActiv X given the other SkyActivs from Mazda have done so well, Mazda is also a risk-taker in ways Honda and Toyota aren't. The Japanese reliability stalwarts test new designs extensively before mass production to try minimize issues. It's likely why they were late into the direct-injection turbo trend. However, even they have issues with their newer engine designs. Toyota has issues with the new V6 in the Tacoma that runs Otto and Atkinson cycle. Honda's issues with their 1.5T in the CR-V has even made the news.

Mazda's had some serious issues with their 2.3 liter turbo, especially in the Mazda CX-7. Before that, they had a Miller-cycle engine in their Millenia which was far from reliable. Hopefully, they have learned from these mistakes and have thoroughly tested SkyActiv X before mass production. I hope it's a success.