Car buyer advice, SX4 vs. alternatives

Non-Suzuki related topics. Anything can go here.
Qularyl

I have to say I am a long-time subaru guy, owning STi's and foresters. But circumstance change, I am selling my STi to welcome a new marriage, and shopping for an AWD car for my wife as a daily commuter (she is a new driver, living in the city and used to public transportation). Well, I looked up Subaru's at first but their price is outrageous considering the mileage, especially on WRX model. The 2.5 N/A engine are prone to oil leak. So I started looking elsewhere, and come across with the final list.

ALL automatic trans:
1. 2006-7 2.5i Impreza with 70-100k miles (~$7.5 - 10k)
2. Bug eye / Tear eye WRX roughly 80-100k miles (~$10k) But VERY hard to find
3. Came across a 2003 330xi with 60k miles, (~$10k)
4. 2007-8-9 Suzuki SX4 with ~60k miles, (~$8 - 10k)
5. 2006 Infiniti G35x with roughly 85k miles, (~$10k)

I really wanted to know what will you prefer in terms of a commuter projected for 3-5 upcoming years of use. I never drove a Suzuki and my friend's Aerio sx was a nightmare. My ex had a wagon (Idk the name) it seemed okay. What do you guys say about the SX4 hatch?

And one more off topic question:

Just curious on how everyone goes about getting their car washed. A side question that goes a long with that, how often do you go get a car wash, and how much do you pay?

I'm debating which option is best to keep my car clean, I'm leaning towards the express car wash https://damntools.com/how-to-wash-a-car-at-home/ , and then finishing up anything it misses myself. Washing the whole car myself seems like a lot of work, and the express car was sounds like a good compromise where I only have to put the finishing touches on whatever was missed without having to pay too much for a full service car wash.
Last edited by Qularyl on Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ronzuki

Wife loves hers. Has zero interest in anything else to drive. She had an 08 w/ conventional AT first, and now has a 2011 w/ the CVT. Both purchased new. I like the smoothness of the CVT in 2011 SX4 better than the conv AT in the 08. Both AWD hatch models in mid-level trim. The 08 was styled a little nicer inside and out (for less $$) compared to the 2011. Fuel economy isn't that great on either...older engine designs w/ timing chains and are reliable. Never had any issues with either of them beyond a minor recall or two. Some 07s and possibly in to early 08s had bad main crank bearings installed at the factory by mistake. Those engines would be toast by now I'd imagine.

Changing the engine oil filter in these cars absolutely sucks.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
KuroNekko

In all honesty, if you want AWD, then start looking at CUVs too. It seems like you prefer a sedan but the selection for AWD vehicles is much greater when you consider CUVs given many brands don't offer AWD sedans (or have not for a long time). Personally, I'd look at used Mazda CX-5s and if you want a good deal, Mitsubishi Outlanders and Outlander Sports. These are more reliable than older Subarus running EJ25s and the BMW and Infiniti in higher mileage.

I also used to be a Subaru fanboy, but their recent models (save for the WRX) have turned me off. A slew of bad head gaskets then engines that burn excessive oil plus CVTs in most of their vehicles combined with over-inflated used car prices just turned me off big time. It's one of the reasons I got interested in the Kizashi. The Kizashi is in a sweet spot where Subaru doesn't offer anything like it. It's got the handling and precision closer to a Rex with more of the refinement and comfort of the Legacy. Subaru asks you to pick one or the other while the Kizashi blends the two characteristics at a much better value point. Not too long ago, I got to drive a manual Impreza spec'ed similarly to my Kizashi of the same model year. Similar mileage too. The difference in refinement and driving enjoyment was huge and I am so glad I took a pass on an Impreza to get my Kizashi.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Gange

My wife loves her SX4. If you service it as required it will go forever with no problems.
She loves it that when you lowers the back seats on her hatch, there is heaps of room for loading stuff.
She has had her car for 10 years since new and loves it.
mathygreen

First of all, I think everyone here is going to be extremely biased about the SX4. Especially me. Mine was my first Suzuki, and I bought it before the pull-out. I have owned MANY cars, including several GMs, several Fords, two Nissans, Two VWs, two Dodges, a Chrysler, and a personal favorite 5 series E-28 BMW. Personal favorite BEFORE I bought my SX4.

Mine is a 2007 model (prone to issues with crank bearing failure @ 65,000-ish miles) that I bought with 30,000 Miles on the clock in February of 2011. I got a rather good deal on it and drive 36 miles one-way to work, so the car has 72,000 miles on it now. The AWD got me through the worst winter in Indiana recorded history without even noticing it was snowing, stops on a dime, and keeps up with traffic rather well (albeit nothing like your STi does). I think the car is a blast to drive in 5MT form. It's tech-y with the tech version (although mine is the base, so I added the tech) and there's plenty of room to improve on that if you so wish. The car is comfortable, good looking, room, and sporty all rolled into one. Absolutely my favorite car I've owned, so... would I buy another one for my significant other who is new to driving? Probably not.

I don't say this to deter you at all. The SX4 really is a FANTASTIC car and would be great in the city, but let me add another car to you list I think would suit your girl better. Check out the Suzuki Kizashi. I've seen some really good examples on ebay and autotrader in the $13-$15K range with AWD and low miles. This car is an AMAZING example of Suzuki craftsmanship (I bought a 2010 GTS FWD version for my wife with a 6MT and I think she wants to be buried with it!). The Kizashi is a bit larger, but has more power, gets better mileage (significantly better, the SX4 is mediocre at best), and is considered the flagship of the Suzuki brand. The car has an interior and ride quality on par with the best from Mercedes and Lexus with the price of a Chevy Cruze. I still say it has one of the best stock audio systems I've heard (the Rockford Fosgate version at least). Most of all, it is one of the highest rated cars out there as far a safety is concerned. There are numerous threads for more information at Kizashiclub.com about how the car was completely destroyed in an accident, yet everyone in the car walked away. I feel safe in my SX4, but for close to the same money, the Kizashi is the one I would put my family in on a long roadtrip (mostly because my SX4 doesn't have cruise control! )

All in all, you simply can't go wrong with a post-Daewoo Suzuki. You really get more for your money. I have no intention of ever getting rid of my SX4 and my wife would get rid of me before her Kizashi. Used SX4s are a couple grand cheaper than the Kizashi, so really it's a matter of finance and taste, but I thought I would throw it out there!

Good luck with whatever you buy her!
Woodie

Welcome mathygreen !

I skipped the SX4 myself, currently own a Firefly, Aerio, and Kizashi. Aerio is soon to be for sale if anyone's interested.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency