Question on airbag deployment

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
brywvu

I was in a minor fender bender in my 2011 Kizashi today. When I say minor, the bumper didn't crack or anything, a mere scuff on it.

However, all of the airbags deployed except the front passenger (no one was sitting in it). The side curtain airbags on both sides, both driver and passenger seat airbags, as well as the small ones in the rear seat all deployed.

Is this typical? I was traveling at approximately 10-15 mph when this occurred. Please let me know your thoughts. I could understand possibly the driver airbag, but not the whole system deploying.

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone may have!
Moto
Site Admin

You are the second person this has happened to FYI.

I think it probably has something to do with the placement of the sensors in the bumper. I know the sx4 also had some trouble, but I don't think Suzuki admits any fault at this point.
Ronzuki

Wow, that is going to be one huge repair bill. Safety first, damn the torpedoes fire all the airbags! Of course there's no fault for overkill. That's not going to bode well for insurance rates on these cars once statistical history of this kind gets out there.

They're going to have to replace your seat cushion assembly w/ the sensors in your butt because the bags fired. a meager what $1500 ??
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Moto
Site Admin

The insurance company totaled out the last car this happened to because it costs so much to repack all the air bags.

Supposedly wasn't a scratch on the car.
brywvu

Suzuki is nuts. Side Curtain should not deploy over a tap of the front bumper. I used to love this car, but this has me questioning everything! Thanks for the replies.
eatrocks

i want to believe they fixed this, i notice that everytime someone is in the front seat the air bag light does not come off
Azure Gray 2012 Kiz SLS AWD CVT
2000 Honda Accord Coupe EX V6
1985 BMW 325e
1993 Subaru Impreza
brywvu

Does anyone think that it is something that Suzuki is at fault for? Honestly?

I have spoken to several people and no one that works in body shops believes the airbags should have blown the way they did and have suggested I send the car to a Suzuki dealer to get an explanation from them before proceeding to have it fixed.
~tc~

Good luck with that.

Imagine if they ever did NOT blow when they should and someone died. The money involved says they will always lean towards blowing
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
Moto
Site Admin

It shouldn't have happened, but I don't really think they will help you. It is probably worth a try though.
Ronzuki

It is Suzuki's repair guides that REQUIRE all airbag related equipment (sensors included which includes the seat cushion assembly) to be replaced once fired. SELL MORE PARTS. Once again all caused by government mandates. I'd personally like the option of whether my car is equipped with all of this government mandated technology.

Just like this:
http://www.newsmax.com/US/rear-view-cam ... /id/430889

There's serious expense that someone has to pay for every time this crap is mandated. Like I said, what do you think is going to happen to a Kizashi's insurance rates when the insurers realize they'll need to total a car because someone smply kicks it hard in the nuts? Is it Suzuki's fault? Love to sit in the courtroom and here that argument.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)