Loss of speed going uphill

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
aragon20

So I have a 2010 Kizashi with the CVT and AWD. I've had a few problems over the years but nothing too huge and I'm happy as long as the car start up and goes. Ever since I bought it in 2010, there has always been an annoying whining noise when going over passes (which living in Colorado is quite frequent) but it doesn't seem to effect the performance so I've never worried about it too much.

Last week, I'm cruising up a LARGE mountain when all of the sudden I notice I can't hold my speed (which has never happened ). I switched to the paddle shifters and that worked for about a minute but then it went back to not accelerating. It got so bad I was going 15 on the interstate so I had to pull over. No lights came on warning me of any problems and the oil temp gauge said It was fine. It was a hot day so I turned the car off for a couple of minutes and tried again...I could only go about 5 mph...turned it off again, waited 10 minutes, turned it on again, and it had no problem the rest of the way.

Anyone have a clue what might've happened and if I can fix it? ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm obviously not that mechanically inclined and the nearest Suzuki service center is 4 hours away from me so I'd like some opinions/advise before I make the long trip down there.
Ronzuki

Sounds like exactly what happened to a former Pittsburgh member's 2010 Kiz years ago. He ended up having the CVT and TCM replaced under the 100k powertrain warranty. There's nothing for you, or anyone else for that matter, to 'fix' in a CVT. I'd take it in and get it documented that you have issues.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
LPSISRL

Agree with Ron. Sounds like maybe an overheat or even TCM. BTW - the temp gauge is engine coolant temp only. You'd have to have a special reader to get the tranny fluid temp. And the Kizashi many not even have that available.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
aragon20

Thank you both for your time and replies. I'm glad I asked instead of assume it was something that didn't need to be looked at. I called the service center and just got their answering machine so now I'm just waiting on a return call...
Ronzuki

You're welcome. Found BLACKBELT's thread regarding his experience. Might want to read it to gain some fodder for your discussion when they call you back.

http://www.kizashiclub.com/forum/viewto ... pike#p6912

Trans temp is available with Suzuki scan tool which is to be used as part of the fluid change procedure per FSM if I'm not mistaking.
Ron

bdleonard

From the brief description given, this TSB from Suzuki looks interesting, but there is not really enough information there to be sure: https://suzukipitstopplus.com/Products/ ... hange.aspx

Some poking around the free vehicle search tool on http://www.eautorepair.net indicates that the TSB was published in Feb. 2015. It applies to 2010 - 2011 Kizashi vehicles with the CVT. I know 2012 - 2013 have a different CVT part number, so they may already have this improvement / fix.

Anybody have a spare $3.95 lying around?
Ronzuki

I didn't read your links, but if that's the TSB for the 're-flashing' of the TCM, that update is VIN specific. Mine is a 2010 and my car didn't come up on Suzuki's radar as requiring the reflash. I also was not (and still not) having any issues so I didn't require the dealer to update it.

I'd learned pouring over the Dealers 'puter w/ the parts manager all the combos of CVTs & TCMs as well as him showing me the two different CVT filters which they've never installed one or sold because there is no service interval called for to do so. If I recall correctly from that visit, there are (2) Suzuki CVT p/n's, and, there are (2) different Suzuki TCM p/n's for each of those (2) transmissions. Presumably one for AWD and one for FWD. That's a total of four different Suzuki TCM p/n's for all Kizashis w/ CVTs. I know Blackbelt had both his CVT and TCM replaced with new when his gave up the ghost.
Ron

bdleonard

My links are related to replacing the CVT pan with an updated part. This is a new TSB that appears to apply to 2010-2011 models with the CVT, issued in Feb. 2015. The TSB description on the site is:

CVT Oil Pan Change
Item Number: TS 05 02045
Extreme CVT oil temperature causes lack of power.

That is the entirety of the description. Since I don't have access to the TSB, I cannot say exactly what the problem is, or exactly what the extent of the repair is. It would seem to apply directly to the problem described by the person who started this thread.
nytq

I'm not sure if I've ever experienced this phenomenon but I do recall last winter trying to get up my driveway with lots of spinning and then it seemed like there was no power and the engine stalled. Stalled while in Drive mind you. Anyway, it started right up and did not give me any trouble continuing to try to get up the drive way. I do think I'll take advantage of the recall and use it as excuse to get a free fluid change. The price of the fluid alone is worth the trip.
2011 SE AWD PLATINUM SILVER W/RRM INTAKE AND CUSTOM CAT BACK
Ronzuki

nytq - thanks for sharing that TSB. I'd heard on this forum something about a different pan as a correction for heat induced trans issues quite some time ago. I had asked the parts manager about it during a visit and he couldn't find anything on a new pan at that time. It must have been prior to the date of the TSB.
Ron